Jan. 5, Predators vs Habs, 7:00 PM

dlbalr

8 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Unless Carolina or Florida go on a bit of a run in the last half of the season, it looks like a 9 team race for 8 playoff spots. Outside of getting some miraculous draft lottery luck, I'd hate for the Habs to be that 9th team. 

I've been a tank commander all season, but looking at the standings we really are in no-man's land if we're not in the playoffs.  We could absolutely beat out unproven teams like Buffalo and NYI for the wildcard. I thought teams like Philly and Florida would be in the hunt as well.  Lots of mediocre teams in the East, and the Habs have managed to distinguish themselves. 

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Habs bumped from a playoff spot by a NYI win tonight. Boston and NYI are surging, Buffalo is faltering, and the Habs are... meh.

Unless Carolina or Florida go on a bit of a run in the last half of the season, it looks like a 9 team race for 8 playoff spots. Outside of getting some miraculous draft lottery luck, I'd hate for the Habs to be that 9th team. 

The Isles will fall apart at some point.  Their underlying numbers are not good

Gallagher-Tatar 9 shots between them.

Domi, Drouin and Petry managed to be -3

Mete 21:49 and +1

Kotkaniemi tied for 3rd in rookie scoring and on pace for 39pts.

Lots to like with this young, young team! As long as they learned a lesson!  So a deeper more experienced squad beat us tonight coming off a back to back that they just lost to an inferior team.

Lessons learned!

lets see if we learned anything from that 7-1 drumming to Minny a month ago

Habs have defied expectations this year, no question, but they have also put together a lot of games like last night.

As much as I want to see this team play hockey in spring, I also understand that it means the vicious cycle is beginning to spin once again.

If you want mediocrity and MAYBE squeaking into the playoffs, I can respect that; it's hard to cheer for your team to fail, but if you want a true contender and a team with maybe only one or two questions marks beside their name, then you need sell/ draft early( I get they can't sell in a playoff spot).

The gap between the vets and the prospects in this organization is too big. Weber is coming up on 1000 games played... I mean the time frame just doesn't make sense.... Even by the time Kotkaniemi becomes a real impact player, we're looking at a good 2-3 years.

I don’t agree.

Teams do not necessarily need to draft early in the 1st round to contend. The Crosby, Malkin mcdavid McKinnon Matthews of this world don’t come into the league yearly! you could easily draft a yakapov or a puujarvi instead of Laine or get Nugent Hopkins 1st overall  ...

What you need to do is draft WELL in the 1st anf 2nd rounds regardless of where your drafting.

We created an organizational hole in MTL because we went on a 3/5 year stretch where all our 1st and 2nd rounders didn’t pan out regardless of when drafted. That’s what created a gap with the core already established on the team and with nobody coming up to join them and MB only testing fringe UFA’s trying to find lightning in a bottle caused this reset!

We seem to have gotten over that hump recently with better early round picks and haveing created a prospect depth vacuum these last 2 seasons with multiple picks creating better odds of landing someone significant. hopefully with more to come in this upcoming draft with a lot more picks.

This team right now is a great blend of young and old players

-25 and under (the majority)

-30 and under (the 2nd most)

-over 30 ( the least)

are we not one of the 3 youngest teams in the league?

-we had 7 WJC players in the tourney (the most by any team!)

-one in each of the 6 positions on the ice and all of them playing key roles on their team. Romanov, Primeau and Poehling all looking like great value picks where drafted at this point.

i do want us to stay the course... but jump on the prospect of a great value deal for a decently aged LD to fill the whole left by Markov and his drafted successor Schergachev that we traded away. 

And I will  repeat we are “pretending” to be contenders at this point but with that said, we are one d man and one kid from taking the next step to really being in the midst of a large group of “contenders” not named Tampa Bay.

3 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

And I will  repeat we are “pretending” to be contenders at this point but with that said, we are one d man and one kid from taking the next step to really being in the midst of a large group of “contenders” not named Tampa Bay.

What? I doubt you would get a high% of HabFans who actually think they are a contender?

They are in 12th place in the league, which seems about right.

But, 99.9% of HabFans I think are pleasantly surprised at how the 1st half of season went.

So drafting 15th or 18th or 22nd really isnt big difference and we know they are not bad enough to challenge the basement bound teams...so might as well pull for winning every game and team doing as well as possible (then maybe draft Suzuki's little brother in mid 1st?).

:1gohabs: