Byron - 3 Game Suspension

huzer

Judging from Byron's statement on Twitter, he won't be appealing.

“I accept and respect the decision made by the department of player safety,” Byron wrote. “I would like to make it clear I had no intention of causing injury or finishing my check through MacKenzie Weegar’s head. I think my history and the way I conduct myself on the ice show a lack of intent to injure other players. Despite a lack of intention, I have to accept responsibility for my hit and realize the result of the hit was to the head and caused injury. I would like to sincerely apologize for my hit and wish MacKenzie all the best and hope he is okay. I’ve learnt a lesson through this and will make sure any future hits result in a clean and legal fashion.”

pic.twitter.com/hw6RXMvsDC

— Paul Byron (@jpbyron89) January 16, 2019
  • Upvote 1

Byron is correct in his apology. The hut was illegal. Players need to be more careful. It’s thst simple. He deserves the punishment. I’m glad the league continues to hold players accountable. No debate on this once the video clearly dnd accurately explains what happened and what was wrong. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, huzer said:

About right (maybe bit too long and 2 games likely better call), dirty hits like this should be out of game.

Edited by DON
2nd thought

1 hour ago, DON said:

About right (maybe bit too long and 2 games likely better call), dirty hits like this should be out of game.

For me, 1 game would warrant a raised eyebrow, two a complaint, three just seems crazy. It’s the longest suspension for a regular season game infraction this season (there are a couple of other three gamers, I think.)

Should he be suspended? Yes.

Is the NHL disciplinary policy a completely random, arbitrary lottery? Yes.

It drives me crazy, but the dinosaurs running the league are simply incompetent to fix it.

7 hours ago, huzer said:

Judging from Byron's statement on Twitter, he won't be appealing.

“I accept and respect the decision made by the department of player safety,” Byron wrote. “I would like to make it clear I had no intention of causing injury or finishing my check through MacKenzie Weegar’s head. I think my history and the way I conduct myself on the ice show a lack of intent to injure other players. Despite a lack of intention, I have to accept responsibility for my hit and realize the result of the hit was to the head and caused injury. I would like to sincerely apologize for my hit and wish MacKenzie all the best and hope he is okay. I’ve learnt a lesson through this and will make sure any future hits result in a clean and legal fashion.”

pic.twitter.com/hw6RXMvsDC

— Paul Byron (@jpbyron89) January 16, 2019

There is no appeal for suspensions of less than 5 games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Same here. There's a difference from a guy finishing his hit and targeting his hit. 

He left his feet and caught weegar in the head.  I think 1 or 2 games was in order.

3 seems a bit much.

NHL suspensions are not based on the hit, its based on the base team the player is on.  If he played for Boston it would have been 1 game, if he played for Toronto or NYR it would be a fine. The NHL suspensions are random, and completed by morons. 

• Upvote 2

I am still kinda favouring (i know is fantasy and never ever happen but); if called for an illegal hit and injury results, you are gone as long as injured player is.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Richard09 said:

NHL suspensions are not based on the hit, its based on the base team the player is on.  If he played for Boston it would have been 1 game, if he played for Toronto or NYR it would be a fine. The NHL suspensions are random, and completed by morons. 

It sounds paranoid, but I honestly believe this to be true.

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It sounds paranoid.

Fixed that for ya.

And curious, why do you think this?

If Marchand, Miller or Chara had of had same kind of hit on Weber and he was now out with concussion...HabFandome would be screaming bloody murder! Do you disagree?

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Fixed that for ya.

And curious, why do you think this?

If Marchand, Miller or Chara had of had same kind of hit on Weber and he was now out with concussion...HabFandome would be screaming bloody murder! Do you disagree?

I don't disagree. I support this suspension. But we saw Chara deliberately drive a young man's face into a steel barrier, coming within a inch of permanently paralyzing him, and he got one game.

One game.

I want tough suspensions for dangerous hits, period. But at issue is not whether Byron deserved a suspension, but whether the NHL can be trusted to apply even a mildly consistent standard of discipline. Which it can't. And I do suspect that if Byron were a Bruin, Leaf, or Ranger, as Richard09 said, this wouldn't be a 3-game suspension.

Ya know what, I thought that the Agostino hit on Eric Fehr was worse than Byron's hit. 

As others have said, there's no consistency to suspensions. If I could watch a game, see a hit like Byron's and without a doubt say "Yep, that'll get 3 games" each and every time regardless of players involved and team, then I'd be fine with the suspension. The problem is, you can't say that.

Even crazier, say someone gets pummeled during a fight, gets a concussion. The NHL levies suspension based on injuries, so why is there no supplemental discipline there? Clearly in a fight, there's even INTENT to injure. I guess because both guys were willing to get penalties so they accept the risk of injury, I dunno.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't disagree. I support this suspension. But we saw Chara deliberately drive a young man's face into a steel barrier, coming within a inch of permanently paralyzing him, and he got one game.

One game.

I want tough suspensions for dangerous hits, period. But at issue is not whether Byron deserved a suspension, but whether the NHL can be trusted to apply even a mildly consistent standard of discipline. Which it can't. And I do suspect that if Byron were a Bruin, Leaf, or Ranger, as Richard09 said, this wouldn't be a 3-game suspension.

He got 0 games, and the NHL Disciplinarian at the time was the father of the Bruins player. 

That said, there have been major changes in the Dept of player safety since that hit... and while there are still some problems with consistency and overall length of suspensions, what I'm not seeing is favourtism to certain teams.  Marchand has gotten numerous suspensions. There have been leafs suspended when necessary, and the Rangers havent gotten off easy in that time either. 

The system is not perfect but it seems to be more incompetence than favoring certain teams. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One game.

I shouldnt say what I think of Chara hit, see different than you, don't see attempted murder and still have a lot of respect for Chara, no need to go off on that, I know you strongly disagree. .

I cant say whether suspensions all seem fair, but does seems tough (impossible, given fans of hitee or hitter will 99% of time see it differently) for them to make everyone happy.

1 hour ago, DON said:

I shouldnt say what I think of Chara hit, see different than you, don't see attempted murder and still have a lot of respect for Chara, no need to go off on that, I know you strongly disagree. .

I cant say whether suspensions all seem fair, but does seems tough (impossible, given fans of hitee or hitter will 99% of time see it differently) for them to make everyone happy.

Well, FWIW I'd be happy if they erred on the side of player safety and deterrence. Tough suspensions should therefore be the default position - and without respect to whether you are viewed as a Good Guy who Plays the Right Way (which is an arbitrary measure that brings huge risks of favouritism in the inbred old-boys' world of NHL hockey).