GDT: Montreal @ Toronto; 7:00 PM

Commandant

The Mete penalty...

Danault with that super lazy back pass along the boards.

Danault and Lehkonen who are usually known for there good defensive plays has a terrible defensive game lol.

In Lehkonens case he doesn’t bring any offence, I wouldn’t be upset if he was included to try to at least upgrade the left side D which is still an obvious weakness.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

That was pathetic.  Forget the hot start to this game, they have shown their true colours since the end of the first period: bubble team.

And?  That is what they are.  No one realistically thinks they're contenders here...

1 hour ago, Chris said:

bag skate em monday morning

Probably not the best strategy considering they start a back-to-back of likely must-win games on Monday night...

• Like 1

thought they played tue wed.

its coming down to 3 teams and 2 spots.

Under MB and his character teams, when the going gets tough, the habs crumble. 

See if this year is any different

46 minutes ago, Chris said:

thought they played tue wed.

its coming down to 3 teams and 2 spots.

Under MB and his character teams, when the going gets tough, the habs crumble. 

See if this year is any different

It’s about not being an elite team. Character is not the key variable and never was. 

Entertaining game, Price looked sharp, Drouin might of helped, darn fluky bounce for 3rd goal and give Leafs PPs in the 2nd is tempting a ton of firepower to score. Mete got outmatched on 4th one. But, is kinda why you didnt see Habs go out and purchase a Muzzin and Leafs have.

But;

Petry 14th in d-scoring with 40points (only 20 pts behind Leafs Rielly).

Kotkaniemi tied 5th in rookie scoring.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s about not being an elite team. Character is not the key variable and never was. 

This loss had little to do with talent.  They lost this game.  Leafs didn't win it.

To be fair that bounce on the third goal was the back breaker.

The PP are apart of the game but Toronto got all the bounces and it can suck the life out of a hard working team like the Habs, were they have to work their butts off for every inch just to lose a game to a bouncing puck off the inboards.

It sucks but that was just really unlucky game which seems to be the case when Montreal faces Toronto recently. Hopefully they can string together a couple wins this week, I prefer facing the Islanders than the Bruins anyway. ?

For me, bad penalty calls happen.  Bad bounces happen.  The poor execution resulting in constant giveaways  was, for me, the real back breaker. Likely brought on by the second goal as you say, but still, I saw a team mentally break down.

37 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

For me, bad penalty calls happen.  Bad bounces happen.  The poor execution resulting in constant giveaways  was, for me, the real back breaker. Likely brought on by the second goal as you say, but still, I saw a team mentally break down.

That's the part that makes me so angry....the mental aspect.  I don't pretend that this team has the high-end talent that the Leafs do, and acknowledge that the Leafs should beat them more times than not.  BUT when you have a team down 3 goals after throroughly outplaying them using an aggressive attack, then stop doing what made you successful for the next 40 minutes...that's a piss-off.  When has sitting back and trying to defend a lead, or whatever the hell it was they were doing after the end of the 1st, ever worked for this team?  How many times have we seen their lack of killer instinct to push for the 4th goal come back to bite them in the ass over the past few years?  Same old crap.

9 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

This loss had little to do with talent.  They lost this game.  Leafs didn't win it.

While I was as disappointed as anyone in last night's loss, I will respectfully disagree on this point. One of the commenters on The Athletic made the point that the Leafs adjusted their defence in the first intermission: in the first, the Habs were able to carry the puck into the offensive zone and cause havoc at will, generating chances and three goals. But in the second and third periods, the Leafs' wingers applied pressure on the Habs' puck carriers, and forced our forwards to dump the puck in, and we could no longer control the play in the offensive zone. And in recollection, this really is the key difference between the first and second periods.

Hitchcock figured out the right solution to the Habs' speed, and got the Leafs to adjust in the first. Full credit to him for good coaching -- and let's admit that the Leafs simply have more talent on the ice than we do.

They had a 3 nothing lead.  All of the giveaways weren't because of lack of talent.  They were because they lost composure. 

I don't disagree that the team lacks talent.  They need more talent. I just feel that last night they took their foot off and lost due to errors. Errors that could have been avoided with brains. Not talent.