Feb. 25, Habs vs Devils, 7 PM

dlbalr

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

That was a quality playoff effort against a bottom feeder

Check New Jersey's home record versus road record.

I'm just saying it's clear that New Jersey is a bottom feeder due to their road games. At home they're just as good as a playoff caliber team. This was still a game we should have won.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Petry has played more than him for three straight games.  I don't think that's a coincidence.

He had probably their best chance of the period shorthanded.  I thought he was alright.  I suspect he's valued a whole lot higher in the organization than you think; I don't think they have any interest at all in moving him anytime soon.

Lehkonen does all the little things right.  Hes strong defensively. His forecheck is really good. He PKs well. He gets in good positions. He wins board battles. 

Kid just can't finish chances. 

But coaches will always love him

Don't let the result cloud the judgment of how the team played 

1st period was even and the Devils got the tip in goal

2nd period Habs dominated and the Devils got a goal

3rd period Habs dominated and could only get one goal

Don't blame effort for the loss, cause that's not what happened.  Schneider stole one and he's been getting his game together lately

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Lehkonen does all the little things right.  Hes strong defensively. His forecheck is really good. He PKs well. He gets in good positions. He wins board battles. 

Kid just can't finish chances. 

But coaches will always love him

That read like a description of Nate Thompson.

If Lehkonen doesn't produce while playing with talented players, the he is no more than a really good 4th line checker

Pecca had a solid first period, then  basically gets benched last night and Lekhonen gets moved back up with Arnia and Kotkaniemi.

That line so clearly needs a shake up. Kotkaniemi needs some shifts away from those two. There's way too many puck battles along the boards with Armia. It's not Kotkaniemi's game. 

Pecca has looked hungry out there. He needs to get a few minutes up the line up. 

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That read like a description of Nate Thompson.

If Lehkonen doesn't produce while playing with talented players, the he is no more than a really good 4th line checker

He's a lot better than Nate Thompson who has skating issues, and doesn't do the same forechecking work, nor does he have the same passing skills, and offensive instincts to be in the right spots. 

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Pecca had a solid first period, then  basically gets benched last night and Lekhonen gets moved back up with Arnia and Kotkaniemi.

That line so clearly needs a shake up. Kotkaniemi needs some shifts away from those two. There's way too many puck battles along the boards with Armia. It's not Kotkaniemi's game. 

Pecca has looked hungry out there. He needs to get a few minutes up the line up. 

Byron spent the game with Kotkaniemi.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

They played 3 shifts together total in the game. 3 shifts. 

I'd bet they were all after a penalty kill or power play when lines get mixed for a shift or two.

How about the other 60 games?

Lehkonen finished the game on that line. They always seem to want to keep that finish line together. It doesn't work. 

23 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

How about the other 60 games?

Lehkonen finished the game on that line. They always seem to want to keep that finish line together. It doesn't work. 

We were talking about last night. 

Lehkonen moves up the lineup when there have been injuries.  Now that Armia, Byron and Shaw are all healthy at the same time, he's on the fourth line.

Again though, I think the coaches like him because they see more there than his stats. 

He's top 4 on the team in High Danger scoring chances.  It really doesn't make sense that he doesn't score more goals.  He seems like a guy with no confidence in his shot and he's putting a lot in the goalies pads or chest right now. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

We were talking about last night. 

Lehkonen moves up the lineup when there have been injuries.  Now that Armia, Byron and Shaw are all healthy at the same time, he's on the fourth line.

Again though, I think the coaches like him because they see more there than his stats. 

He's top 4 on the team in High Danger scoring chances.  It really doesn't make sense that he doesn't score more goals.  He seems like a guy with no confidence in his shot and he's putting a lot in the goalies pads or chest right now. 

I just dont see it man. I dont want to argue, this is just my opinion. 

I don't know where this kid fell off from his rookie year. When he first came up, I couldn't believe how heavy his wrister was.

I honestly thought Lehkonen was perfect candidate for player swap. a guy like Burakovsky or even Nic Petan and a pick would have looked alright. 

Nic Petan?  with his 0 goals and 2 assists this season

With his 5 goals in 103 career games. 

OK

You want to swap Lehkonen for a guy who can't play defence at all and has 5 goals in 103 career games?

Burakovsky is overpaid for the production he's giving and as a result he'll be a UFA on July 1st when he's not qualified at his current pay.  That doesn't seem like a good move either. He also can't play in his own end. 

Petan's average ice time was 7min in Winnepeg this year. He had 52pts in 52 games in the AHL this season. He has 18 assists in his last 108 games.

Lehkonen is averaging over 15min of ice time, has 26 assists in his last 129 games and 19 goals in his last 129. With 0 in his last 20+

Petan with a pick would not have been that bad of trade, from an offensive stand point. 

Burakovsky has basically the same numbers as Lehkonen the last two seasons, averaging less ice (11min), while also having 38pts and 35pts in his first two seasons. He's been a + player every year, except for this season too. 

I mean the trades aren't that hard to fathom. 

15 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Petan's average ice time was 7min in Winnepeg this year. He had 52pts in 52 games in the AHL this season. He has 18 assists in his last 108 games.

Lehkonen is averaging over 15min of ice time, has 26 assists in his last 129 games and 19 goals in his last 129. With 0 in his last 20+

Petan with a pick would not have been that bad of trade, from an offensive stand point. 

Burakovsky has basically the same numbers as Lehkonen the last two seasons, averaging less ice (11min), while also having 38pts and 35pts in his first two seasons. He's been a + player every year, except for this season too. 

Watch more hockey. No gm trades Lehkonen straight up for petan.

20 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Watch more hockey. No gm trades Lehkonen straight up for petan.

Watch more hockey? Ok bud  

First of all, i said Petan and a pick for Lehkonen. That would not have been the end of the world, but I do agree, it's not the smartest trade proposal ever. 

My posts was more about Burakovsky. Which I dont think is a bad trade off at all. 

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Watch more hockey? Ok bud  

First of all, i said Petan and a pick for Lehkonen. That would not have been the end of the world, but I do agree, it's not the smartest trade proposal ever. 

My posts was more about Burakovsky. Which I dont think is a bad trade off at all. 

I could have said that nicer. Just feeling cheeky. I would not trade Lehkonen yet. Not that low anyway. 

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Scherbak was a ppg player in the AHL last season.  Big deal. 

18 assists in 108 games also isn't great.  Lehkonen has 7 goals and 17 assists THIS SEASON in 63 games... all while providing far better defensive play than Petan could even dream of. 

19 goals is also a little better than 5.......