4 Teams - 1 Playoff Race

xXx..CK..xXx

I see that Columbus is doing what you are supposed to do in a big game: they are continually pressing the attack and adding to their lead.  A shame the Habs didn't approach the 3rd period in such a manner.

23 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Canucks suck!

Funny about the Canucks. They have a quality mid-range #1C in Horvat, an elite scoring winger in Boeser,  a future superstar C in Pettersson, and a probable impact #1 d-man in Quinn Hughes. They're strong in goal as well. In other words, they have some really elite young talent. But they seem to have almost no "middle class" in their organization. Guys like Goldobin and Vrtanen, who they have been sort of counting on to emerge as secondary threats, are human garbage. Great defensive hope Olli Juolevi has been a disaster in developing at D. In a weird way, they're the opposite of the Habs, who have a lot of good players and prospects but no (?) truly elite ones. It seems weird to me that a team that can draft/develop guys like Pettersson and Boeser can't manage to scrape together some decent second-liners and 3rd/4rth defencemen. Oh well.

7 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I see that Columbus is doing what you are supposed to do in a big game: they are continually pressing the attack and adding to their lead.  A shame the Habs didn't approach the 3rd period in such a manner.

They did that exact thing to Islanders on Thursday.

Give the boys some slack, they have been playing hard. It was a back to back where they had to travel and Carolina is one of the hottest teams in the league.

Also Julien had to shorten his bench in the third because he doesn’t trust Drouin or Kotkaniemi. Not saying I agree or disagree with that either but it happened.

Standings

Pittsburgh 76 GP 93 PTS 39 ROW

Carolina 75 GP 91 PTS 40 ROW

Montreal 76 GP 88 PTS 38 ROW

Columbus 75 GP 86 PTS 40 ROW

Points since the thread began...

Pittsburgh 11 GP 16 PTS 6 ROW

Carolina 10 GP 13 PTS 5 ROW

Montreal 10 GP 11 PTS 5 ROW

Columbus 11 GP 9 PTS 4 ROW

Playoff Odds

Pittsburgh 99.4%

Carolina 97.5%

Montreal 52.7%

Columbus 50.6%

12 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Yeah it would have been nice if Carolina didn't show up for the third and allowed the Habs to do what they wanted.

Its almost like there were two teams competing on the ice... and not one that was long dead and buried like the canucks.

6 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Gotta get a big win Tuesday then play their best game of the year on Thursday and leave with 2 points in regulation!

Need to beat Panthers and hope Islanders beat up on CBJ at same time!

Columbus beat NYI tonight, multiplying the importance of Thursday's game by about tenfold.

Washington beat Carolina, so the Habs will gain a point on the first wild card spot tonight. 

Despite Montreal having the edge in points,  Columbus holds the slight edge in playoff chances at this point in time based on percentage.  With both teams hovering around 50% when it comes to getting into the dance, we'll see how tomorrow's outcome between the teams will affect these statistics.

26 minutes ago, Chris said:

I looked at the habs schedule, they have a pretty tough road to make the playoffs. They are playing some really good teams.

Good teams who might not have much to play for when we play them... Tampa can already coast, Washington might have 1st in their division locked up by then, and Toronto probably won't be able to catch Boston by the end of the season.

50 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Good teams who might not have much to play for when we play them... Tampa can already coast, Washington might have 1st in their division locked up by then, and Toronto probably won't be able to catch Boston by the end of the season.

Yeah, it's a key point too often overlooked. Those teams may well be sitting some stars leading into the playoffs, and may generally lack much motivation. The sked may prove less daunting than it looks on paper.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, it's a key point too often overlooked. Those teams may well be sitting some stars leading into the playoffs, and may generally lack much motivation. The sked may prove less daunting than it looks on paper.

As long as Habs dont underestimate young guys given a chance to shine in meaningless risk-free games.

Seen it happen already this season with severely depleted team kicking Habs ass.

One of the best games I've witnessed this season was our last game against Winnipeg so I'm wondering if we can replicate that performance despite this match being on the road,  or if Winnipeg has any recollection of our having drubbed them and may look to return the favor.  Outside of our match against Columbus,  this will be one that will be up for grabs. 

Whether or not the Leafs rest someone like Tavares for the season finale could have an impact as well but I do think our last three match-ups will be tough ones. 2 points out of 6 may be a possible expectation, and it could even be extended to 2-4 points out of 8 if we include the Winnipeg game.  

HUGE game tonight... gotta get that road W.

Hopefully the fellas come out flying, Price plays well, and we leave with a four point advantage in the standings.

Also, Hurricanes host Washington.. they're at home so will be a tougher game but Go Caps as well!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

HUGE game tonight... gotta get that road W.

Hopefully the fellas come out flying, Price plays well, and we leave with a four point advantage in the standings.

Also, Hurricanes host Washington.. they're at home so will be a tougher game but Go Caps as well!

Yeah, this one is about as big as a regular season game gets. It’d be a great time for Drouin to get his head out of his arse and do something.

Jeez... just looking at the Schedule and the game tonight is so big..

Columbus  has @Nashville, Buffalo, @Boston, NYR, Ottawa - That's at least 6 points as I don't see them losing to Buff, NY, or Ott.

Montreal has @Winnipeg, Tampa, @Washington, Toronto - That's a tough 4 points. (Although every game is winnable as Tampa and Toronto won't have much to play for)  

If we are four points up after tonight we get in. If we are even it'll be tough.

C'mon boys.. get it done tonight!!

After last night's loss,  the Habs playoff chances are hovering around 30% whereas Columbus' chances have shot up to around 80-85%. Carolina's chances are around 85-90% and Pittsburgh has more than solidified their position having even temporarily surpassed the Islanders in the standings before the Islanders won their match against Winnipeg in a thriller. 

Remaining opponents:

Carolina: Philly, @Toronto, @Pittsburgh, New Jersey, @Philly

Columbus: @Nashville, @Buffalo,  Boston,  @NYR,  @Ottawa

Montreal: @Winnipeg, Tampa Bay,  @Washington,  Toronto

Without overthinking things and bias, here's a quick assumption of how many points each team will get and where they would finish as a result... 

Carolina: 5 points

Columbus: 7 points 

Montreal: 3 points 

Columbus: 97 points

Carolina: 96 points 

Montreal: 93 points 

Here's to looking forward to watching them prove those numbers wrong. Perfectly fine with it. 

Thinking through the weekend, I think the Habs have a strong game tomorrow and win. 92pts come Monday. We know the Habs will need help.

Both Carolina and Columbus have back to back games. I don’t think either team sweeps. Both of the Canes games are afternoon games...Philly and Pitt always seems to play afternoon games, so I could see the Canes being swept, then losing to Toronto on Tuesday. Anyway, they come out of the weekend with 91pts

Columbus has two road games for their b2b. Hard fought loss to Nashville, followed by a beat down of Buffalo (also playing back to back games) the following day. They escape the weekend with 92pts. 

Start the week with the Habs in a playoff spot and see how the week plays out!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, huzer said:

Thinking through the weekend, I think the Habs have a strong game tomorrow and win. 92pts come Monday. We know the Habs will need help.

Both Carolina and Columbus have back to back games. I don’t think either team sweeps. Both of the Canes games are afternoon games...Philly and Pitt always seems to play afternoon games, so I could see the Canes being swept, then losing to Toronto on Tuesday. Anyway, they come out of the weekend with 91pts

Columbus has two road games for their b2b. Hard fought loss to Nashville, followed by a beat down of Buffalo (also playing back to back games) the following day. They escape the weekend with 92pts. 

Start the week with the Habs in a playoff spot and see how the week plays out!

I’ll have what he’s having!!!

It's definitely not hopeless. I've seen stranger things happen than a team in the Habs' position ending up making the playoffs.

Besides the long odds, though, the facts that the team is below .500 over its past 20 games or so (as per Chris in another thread), along with the narrow defeat by Carolina and the crushing defeat by Columbus make it hard to be optimistic. All we can say is that this team has pleasantly surprised for most of the season, and hey, maybe they have one more surprise left in 'em.