Habs vs Blackhawks

Neech

9 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Absolute trash sports franchise. What the heck is wrong with me. 

Considering where we thought they would be at the start of the season, the fact they have been in the race this long shows they are not absolute trash

That’ll do it for the night.

Looks like Don wasn’t right about tonight but at this point looks like he’s right about Montreal missing the playoffs.

They just don’t have anything left in the tank. Every zone entry and puck battle won seems like a heroic effort.

13 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

This power play makes me furious.  The second wealthiest hockey club in the world with devoted fans across canada and this is the shit they do to earn their money?  Absolute trash. Ballard leafs. That's what this garbage is. 

That's the best comparison I can think of too. And rightly or wrongly I put it down to Bergevin's attitude towards the players that Markov and Radulov mentioned. No relationship. 

Another 60 years of this and I'll really know what its like to be a Leaf fan.

Debrincat set up that last goal.  You all probably know this, but one of the 2nd round draft picks they gave up to get Andrew Shaw, was used to draft Debrincat.  That kid would have looked might good in a Habs jersey.

10 minutes ago, habscout said:

Debrincat set up that last goal.  You all probably know this, but one of the 2nd round draft picks they gave up to get Andrew Shaw, was used to draft Debrincat.  That kid would have looked might good in a Habs jersey.

You think they would of picked him, exactly as Hawks did?

10 minutes ago, DON said:

LOL...good point.  Probably would have drafted some overrated floater from the Q.

10 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

That's the best comparison I can think of too. And rightly or wrongly I put it down to Bergevin's attitude towards the players that Markov and Radulov mentioned. No relationship. 

I would not compare it to the Leafs Ballard regime, which was a meddlesome, micro-managing owner of a Steinbrenner/Yankees level, who was only in the NHL ownership game to make money and headlines with his own name.  

Bergevin just does not know how to handle the contract negotiation side of this sport in my opinion.  Radulov was low balled, although it was likely he was going to leave for a more tax friendly option.  With Markov, I believe he would have resigned for close to the same salary but he was deliberately low balled [half?] because Bergevin was dealing with Markov without an agent between them.  With respect to Drouin, that time he drastically overvalued the asset.  That contract was the time to negotiate a bridge deal, but instead he paid much higher than I believe any arbitrator would have awarded a player with *only 1* good NHL season.  The result we see now, is a under performing Drouin who will never live up to his long term salary, instead of giving him a shorter term "show me" contract to make him earn his pay.   

I would not compare it to the Leafs Ballard regime, which was a meddlesome, micro-managing owner of a Steinbrenner/Yankees level, who was only in the NHL ownership game to make money and headlines with his own name.  

Bergevin just does not know how to handle the contract negotiation side of this sport in my opinion.  Radulov was low balled, although it was likely he was going to leave for a more tax friendly option.  With Markov, I believe he would have resigned for close to the same salary but he was deliberately low balled [half?] because Bergevin was dealing with Markov without an agent between them.  With respect to Drouin, that time he drastically overvalued the asset.  That contract was the time to negotiate a bridge deal, but instead he paid much higher than I believe any arbitrator would have awarded a player with *only 1* good NHL season.  The result we see now, is a under performing Drouin who will never live up to his long term salary, instead of giving him a shorter term "show me" contract to make him earn his pay.   

Thanks for filling in the situation. My comparison was more net result than process oriented. I just remember Markov's comments concerning the dismissive and aloof treatment he received. I prefer the Bob Gainey 'walk in the snow' with Kovalev approach I suppose. Thanks

11 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

LOL...good point.  Probably would have drafted some overrated floater from the Q.

How many players from the Q has Trevor Timmins taken in the first two rounds?

I count 7.  And he's had 33 1st or 2nd rounders in that time.... He's drafted more Americans than players from the Q high in the draft. 

That said, I doubt we take him, cause he's never drafted a player that small with that high of a draft pick.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Why not?  He was highly touted but just too small to be a first round pick.  The second round is the perfect time to "gamble" on a small OHL forward that has scored 100+ points in 2 straight seasons before his draft year.  Sure he was on Connor McJesus line, but still he managed to produce, and then he scored even more the year after McJesus graduated to the NHL.

Why not?  He was highly touted but just too small to be a first round pick.  The second round is the perfect time to "gamble" on a small OHL forward that has scored 100+ points in 2 straight seasons before his draft year.  Sure he was on Connor McJesus line, but still he managed to produce, and then he scored even more the year after McJesus graduated to the NHL.

Small with average but not great skating has never been Timmins M.O. with 1st or 2nd round picks.  I doubt we take him.

He usually goes bigger early in the draft, and skating is usually high on his list, only making exceptions for guys like Latendresse, Tinordi and McCarron who were giants

To add to my last post, Debrincat has more points than any other player outside of the first round in the 2016 draft.  When you add the first rounders, he is fourth in points, behind Matthews, Laine and Tkachuk. 

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Small with average but not great skating has never been Timmins M.O. with 1st or 2nd round picks.  I doubt we take him.

Yeah well skating is not everything, unless you have hockey sense too, which IMO Debrincat has in spades. That's another short-sightedness the Habs have had with *many* of their past draft selections under Timmins, although the last couple of drafts they have improved in that area.