Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Meller93

3 hours ago, DON said:

Lavoie isn't physical at all, is he?

And I think many GMs have tossed out the height/weight #s when drafting.

Smaller guys (even d-men) being overlooked early in the draft and then kicking ass in the NHL has eliminated that last century thinking on "Bigger is Better".

You know what changes the bigger isnt better attitude? Winning the Stanley Cup.

Gonna be an interesting summer ahead

1 hour ago, DON said:

10 of top 50 scorers were 6'3" to 6'5"

Thanks. I took a look. I guess I knew that. 

Lavoie just doesn't seem like he has as high of a ceiling, as some others in that 15-20 range. 

Edited by Habber31

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think you simply take the best prospect available irregardless of size or position although they really don't need to take a goalie. Size isn't as big a deal in today's NHL. 

That's a good way to put it. It isn't necessarily that the NHL is shifting towards small shifty guys, it's that size is less of a factor than it used to be. You can be a Johnny Gaudreau, DeBrincat, or a Barkov, Wheeler. In Today's NHL all sizes can excel, it just comes back to the underlying talent. Lavoie is big and has talent, I'd be perfectly fine drafting him.

There are just so many options for forwards alone in the 15 spot: Newhook, Lavoie, Kaliyev, Krebs, Podkolzin, Brink, Suzuki

Then there's Broberg, Soderstrom, Heinola, Seider, York and Harley as legitimate possibilities.

People think they are the "big bad bruins"

2 of the bruins better defencemen.... Krug and Grzylecek were under six-foot.  Their best defenceman (McAvoy) is 6-0

This Bruins team overall, including the forwards, was much faster and more skilled than the 2011 team.  Yes they have some size and physicality, but its a blend.  They aren't putting the Shawn Thornton's of the world out on the ice anymore.  Their fourth line is guys like Acciari, Kuraly, and Nordstrom.  Those aren't fighters.  Those aren't big hitters.  They are guys they relied on a lot to get the job done.  David Backes, the traditional big, slow, physical forward.... oh yeah, largely ineffective for Boston all season, a regular healthy scratch. 

The Blues again, Ryan O'Reilly is their best player.  A lady byng candidate year in and year out. On defence, Pietrangelo is their best, he's not exactly the most physical player, he's smooth and skilled.  Vince Dunn was a huge part of things. Bouwmeester and Parayko have size but they aren't bruisers, they are skilled players.  Up front, Jaden Schwarz was huge for them, Brayden Schenn.   Again no fighter, no guy who is just there to be a goon.

You need skill and if other teams want to buy the narrative that these teams won by being big and physical and building that way... fine with me. 

Size is great if combined with skill.

Size without skill, its not getting you far. 

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

There are just so many options for forwards alone in the 15 spot: Newhook, Lavoie, Kaliyev, Krebs, Podkolzin, Brink, Suzuki

Then there's Broberg, Soderstrom, Heinola, Seider, York and Harley as legitimate possibilities.

I think that you got em all and most of above seem fine to me...Heinola or Suzuki seem like a cut below and someone included Heinola on one "to avoid" list, might not mean anything (cant remember author) and Wheeler of the Athletic lists Soderstrom, Broberg & Podkolzin as overrated or will go higher than should. And several of above will obviously be gone by 15, but no question will still be nice bunch to pick from.

Just another week we will find out who Timmins & Bergevin prefer.:clap:

3 hours ago, DON said:

I think that you got em all and most of above seem fine to me...Heinola or Suzuki seem like a cut below and someone included Heinola on one "to avoid" list, might not mean anything (cant remember author) and Wheeler of the Athletic lists Soderstrom, Broberg & Podkolzin as overrated or will go higher than should. And several of above will obviously be gone by 15, but no question will still be nice bunch to pick from.

Just another week we will find out who Timmins & Bergevin prefer.:clap:

Yea Suzuki has fallen a little for me as well. Though I actually prefer Heinola over Harley.

still, as you say, I’m basically good with anyone from that list. Talented bunch

46 minutes ago, Neech said:

Another RHD?  That's the wrong Seider

Size with skating ability.  Two-way play. Can move the puck up the ice with his skating and passing. Is also able to play physical.  Profiles like a number of D that Timmins has been high on over the years including Sergachev, Romanov, McDonagh, Subban and others. 

A late riser up draft boards (like Kotkaniemi). 

And given the way my mock draft has gone (to be released in the morning, Friday Night is crap for traffic), best player on the board when they come up at 15. 

13 hours ago, Neech said:

Another RHD?  That's the wrong Seider

Future Considerations has him (and 3 other d-men) ranked right around 15, just another example that he really seems to be on the rise after playing well for Germany recently.

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

My pick for who the habs will take is Moritz Seider (yes another RHD, I know).

He was at combine.

Wonder which of the five is willing to part with their 2nd pick.

I assume Sabres wouldnt want to trade down for more picks, but for a roster player would likely part with 31st pick. Ducks likely would trade down from 29th to help restock. Is it worthwhile for Habs to even try and move up to 29th for #46 + 1 or 2 other picks?

Rangers 2 & 20

Aves 4 & 16

LA 5 & 22

Sabres 7 & 31

Ducks 9 & 29

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I do not follow prospects so I have nothing to add to this conversation other than to say that your description of Seider sounds like heaven:

"Seider pairs excellent size at 6-foot-4 with strong skating ability. Seider has an excellent skating stride. This gives him good speed in both directions, especially given his size. Seider moves the puck up the ice with good stickhandling and quick skating, as well as the ability to make a strong first pass. He transitions the puck out of his zone and is able to carry it effectively through the neutral zone. He is even willing to lead the rush at times. The stickhandling and poise with the puck on his stick are also useful on the power play. Defensively, Moritz Seider plays a physical game, looking to throw a big hit if an opposing forward challenges him down his side of the ice".

I do not care that he is RD, I want this guy on my team.

The Habs have a more urgent need for a LD but I still think you take the best player available. By the time these guys are ready in 2-3 years your needs could be completely different. Draft the best player available and fill in spots with trades/free agents.  Thanks for your mock draft Commandant. 

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Habs have a more urgent need for a LD but I still think you take the best player available. By the time these guys are ready in 2-3 years your needs could be completely different. Draft the best player available and fill in spots with trades/free agents.  Thanks for your mock draft Commandant. 

If you look at my rankings page.

Lastwordonhockey.com/2019-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters

You can see my rankings. 

What isnt there is the tiers 

I have a tier at 16 so the next d after seider, ie Harley and Heinola, who are lefties... i think they are a tier down.

When guys are really close.  Ok take by position... but i have seider up with the prior group so you have to go bpa.

4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

In a copycat league and the Blues winning the cup with only one defenseman under 6'2", I wonder if Seider's value jumped up in the past week. He could be gone by 15.

With mcavoy generously listed at 6'0 (hint... hes not 6'0) plus krug at 5'7 and grzelecyk at 5'7.. what is there to be said here.  Thats 3 of the best 4 Bruins d this year 

Thats why i wouldnt be too quick to copy the blues.  That said seider is skilled which means more than the size.  Im not moving Alex Vlassic though from my rank as a late first/early second based on that result and him being 6-6