Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Meller93

1 hour ago, DON said:

When have four 5th round picks and limited # of contracts, it is simply smart to basically delay the picks a year instead of drafting all 12 kids this year. What does that have to do with politics?

(did same last year)

Why did we trade down for extra picks then? The general rule of thumb is that a 5th round pick this year is worth more than one next year (unless there's some concensus on the depth of a draft).  Then there's the fact that we traded those picks to good teams so they'll probably have a lower position.  So these trades don't look good on their face. 

2 hours ago, Neech said:

Seems like we prioritized picks next year when we're the host, even if the picks are lower.  And folks don't think politics plays a role when the Habs host a draft?

We traded down last year and then flipped fourth and fifth round picks for picks in this years draft. 

Also in the first couple rounds the 20th pick vs the 25th pick matters a lot. 

When you are in the fourth and fifth rounds, it matters little, especially since not all drafts are created equal.  You might not mind being 10 picks later in the fourth or fifth round next year if you think next year is a deeper draft. 

You can't look at just pure number of the pick when you are looking at two different draft years. Not every draft year is created equal. 

Not sure if Struble would have been available in the 3rd round as during an interview he stated he expected to go in the 2nd round or late first. I assume he got those expectations from other teams that spoke to him. But in reality who really knows. Who expected Lavoie to go 38th?   I think every draft site I looked at had him going in the 15-25 range.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I actually wish they would have moved up in the 2nd round to get a player in the low to mid 30's. 

Could have got Struble in the 3rd round round 

The last time we reached in the second round was picking Romanov and that looks alright at this point, so I'll give Struble the benefit of the doubt.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

Why did we trade down for extra picks then?

Seems pretty basic and more picks is typically better to have than fewer, they maybe had no player that the scouts were high on, or maybe they already plan on using a pick or two over next week or at next trade deadline.

Picks are simply assets and are used in trades, as well to pick kids with and now they have 9 picks and a couple will be used in trades without really depleting too bad.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Edit: Other MTL invites:

It looks like Shank won't be 20 until next February so he wouldn't be eligible to sign as a free agent until then, correct?

All four players are QMJHL, I assume they do invite other over-age juniors, too, right?

Struble played high school hockey in the States. 

I've seen zero games of him. 

I think very few people commenting on him have seen him play much. 

People who have seen him play include Trevor Timmins, Shane Churla, and our US based scout in the Northeast. 

I think we have to trust them enough to think... hey this is a guy they identified as a talent that they didn't want to take a chance with and wait for the third round.   

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It looks like Shank won't be 20 until next February so he wouldn't be eligible to sign as a free agent until then, correct?

All four players are QMJHL, I assume they do invite other over-age juniors, too, right?

Any undrafted CHLer can sign a UFA contract before they go back to their junior club... (see Teasdale and McNiven)

Once sent back to his junior club, he will be part of the 2020 draft.  If he's undrafted he could sign a UFA contract anytime after that including during an overage season (which would be 2020-21)

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Struble played high school hockey in the States. 

I've seen zero games of him. 

I think very few people commenting on him have seen him play much. 

People who have seen him play include Trevor Timmins, Shane Churla, and our US based scout in the Northeast. 

I think we have to trust them enough to think... hey this is a guy they identified as a talent that they didn't want to take a chance with and wait for the third round.   

I'm not particularly jazzed on Timmins' record of drafting out of US high schools, since he has only had one work out so far - Ryan McDonough.

As for the rest of the picks, outside of Caufield they just don't have the immediate pizzazz that previous draft picks had. This of course means nothing. Time will tell on these picks, not immediate reaction. Rounds 2 through 7 just felt a bit plain and unsexy.

"Jayden has no issue with protecting his goalie or teammates when the need arises and sometimes looks to be seeking out these opportunities."

" Struble has a reputation for having a hot temper, and while he plays physical, he can go over the line at times. Let’s just say when I made a trip out to watch him he got thrown out of the game early, and it wasn’t the first time."

"Has a bit of a mean streak." (Fairbrother)

Maybe leaning towards adding a different type of d-man to the mix.

8 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I'm not particularly jazzed on Timmins' record of drafting out of US high schools, since he has only had one work out so far - Ryan McDonough.

As for the rest of the picks, outside of Caufield they just don't have the immediate pizzazz that previous draft picks had. This of course means nothing. Time will tell on these picks, not immediate reaction. Rounds 2 through 7 just felt a bit plain and unsexy.

I have to think scouting US high school hockey has to be a huge challenge. There are just too many schools and leagues to scout effectively.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And after staying up all night, the Beast is here.   The hardest article to write all year (just cause the amount of time that is needed to put this thing into a coherent format).  

The Draft Grades

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/06/23/2019-nhl-draft-grades-lwoh/

Edited as was able to read on second load and wanted to pay due for the hard work and good read.

thanks.

stilL enjoying it.

Edited by hockeyrealist

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And after staying up all night, the Beast is here.   The hardest article to write all year (just cause the amount of time that is needed to put this thing into a coherent format).  

The Draft Grades

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/06/23/2019-nhl-draft-grades-lwoh/

Definitely a lot of work -- thanks.

Athletic guys, Pronman liked Habs haul (A-) and Wheeler below not so much:

"Montreal Canadiens

After their home run with Caufield on Day 1, I didn’t love the Jayden Struble pick at No. 46. I considered him for the honourable mentions of my top 100 though. He’s got a ton of talent but it’s raw and it’s going to be a long time before the Canadiens know what they have there. The good news is that his August birthday allows them to wait. He’s young but there’s some upside there.

I did love the Rhett Pitlick selection at No. 131. Pitlick was my BPA at the time; I ranked him No. 58 and recently wrote about him as a potential faller who could have real value. He’s small but boy is he crafty.

Gianni Fairbrother is interesting but he’s on the older side and he plays too undisciplined.  Rafael Harvey-Pinard is interesting but he’s also an overager and he played on a damn-good team in Rouyn-Noranda.

Considering the opportunity they had with nine picks on Day 2, I think there was a much better outcome than the one they walked away with."

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I have to think scouting US high school hockey has to be a huge challenge. There are just too many schools and leagues to scout effectively.

Agreed, which is partly why I was so surprised at the number of players taken.

Not to mention how easily some kids dominate at that age, but that isn’t sustainable.

If they were drafting kids out of Canadian high school hockey or even top-tier Midget aged players, we’d be baffled I’m sure that they’d gamble on such young talent.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Athletic guys, Pronman liked Habs haul (A-) and Wheeler below not so much:

"Montreal Canadiens

After their home run with Caufield on Day 1, I didn’t love the Jayden Struble pick at No. 46. I considered him for the honourable mentions of my top 100 though. He’s got a ton of talent but it’s raw and it’s going to be a long time before the Canadiens know what they have there. The good news is that his August birthday allows them to wait. He’s young but there’s some upside there.

I did love the Rhett Pitlick selection at No. 131. Pitlick was my BPA at the time; I ranked him No. 58 and recently wrote about him as a potential faller who could have real value. He’s small but boy is he crafty.

Gianni Fairbrother is interesting but he’s on the older side and he plays too undisciplined.  Rafael Harvey-Pinard is interesting but he’s also an overager and he played on a damn-good team in Rouyn-Noranda.

Considering the opportunity they had with nine picks on Day 2, I think there was a much better outcome than the one they walked away with."

Wheeler is a Habs hater, just look at his twitter feed.  He lets his bias creep into this too much IMO. 

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Wheeler is a Habs hater, just look at his twitter feed.  He lets his bias creep into this too much IMO. 

Wheeler is a Leafs writer, and it shows. Pronman, love him or hate him, is far more neutral.

Wheeler had the Leafs' draft performance at "W" (and one of the best) whereas Pronman ranked them C+ ...

• Upvote 1

One more note from the Athletic; Pronman ranks Caufield very highly indeed, better than Poehling and Suzuki:

Caufield could become an impact player in the NHL, and you don’t get many at No. 15. He becomes the Habs’ top prospect.

27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Wheeler is a Leafs writer, and it shows. Pronman, love him or hate him, is far more neutral.

Wheeler had the Leafs' draft performance at "W" (and one of the best) whereas Pronman ranked them C+ ...

They didnt have a first rounder.  Got decent value in robertson, and kokkonen for the second and third round.  Abramov was ok but not special.  I was generous with my B as i didnt want to get accused of anti-leafs bias.

Ranking them a draft winner... there is no way. 

That draft isnt close to what Jersey, Colorado, Carolina, Detroit, and Vegas did.  Pretty clear those 5 are a step above this year.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

One more note from the Athletic; Pronman ranks Caufield very highly indeed, better than Poehling and Suzuki:

Hes better than Poehling.

Id debate with suzuki on 1/2, but id likely go suzuki.  Wouldnt be by much and i can see the caulfield argument.  

I was lower on caufield than others.  The skating being less than elite at his size gives me a question mark and he wasnt a top 10 for that reason.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hes better than Poehling.

Id debate with suzuki on 1/2, but id likely go suzuki.  Wouldnt be by much and i can see the caulfield argument.  

I was lower on caufield than others.  The skating being less than elite at his size gives me a question mark and he wasnt a top 10 for that reason.

Whichever order we rank them, we'll have a great group of young forwards in a few years, with Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling and Caufield.