Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Meller93

Asked the reasons why some gave to pass over Caufield at draft.

Pronman-Corey-Headshot-020619.jpg
Corey Pronman
Aug 20, 6:03pm

@Daniel F. Lack of truly elite speed, elite vision, not incredibly tough, no real comparables in the NHL. Not that I agree with those but those are the arguments.

Speed? Lol he is usually the fastest skater on the ice during his shifts, come on now. Wouldn't expect a small forward to try and be tough, you don't see Gaudreau out there every night trying to show how tough he is, i'd still have him on my team in a heartbeat. Why does a player need an NHL comparable anyway? Half of the comparable players end up not having parallel careers anyway, it is a foolish thing to require to judge a players potential or predict it for that matter. 

There was no justification for why he was still available when we picked, this isn't 2004 anymore, the era of the Power Forward, the kid has the potential to make a lot of people eat crow for passing on him throughout his career, and it seems they are turning themselves inside out coming up with ridiculous reasoning to try and justify it. The devastation of his shot will far outweigh the detriment of his size when he reaches the NHL, he has come into the league, literally, during its most beneficial era for players like him. Quotes of the sort just go to show you there are still plenty of dinosaur mentalities within some of the front office's.

31 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Speed? Lol he is usually the fastest skater on the ice during his shifts, come on now. Wouldn't expect a small forward to try and be tough, you don't see Gaudreau out there every night trying to show how tough he is, i'd still have him on my team in a heartbeat. Why does a player need an NHL comparable anyway? Half of the comparable players end up not having parallel careers anyway, it is a foolish thing to require to judge a players potential or predict it for that matter. 

There was no justification for why he was still available when we picked, this isn't 2004 anymore, the era of the Power Forward, the kid has the potential to make a lot of people eat crow for passing on him throughout his career, and it seems they are turning themselves inside out coming up with ridiculous reasoning to try and justify it. The devastation of his shot will far outweigh the detriment of his size when he reaches the NHL, he has come into the league, literally, during its most beneficial era for players like him. Quotes of the sort just go to show you there are still plenty of dinosaur mentalities within some of the front office's.

Actually his full analysis of caufeld is very positive. He puts him as the number one prospect in Montreal.  The team's farm system is ranked #6 by him. Elite skating does not seem to be one of his strong suits from what I have read.  I agree that Montreal stole him. Many feel he should have been top 10. Even top 5.

4 hours ago, Link67 said:

Caufield is NOT the fastest player on the ice in his shifts.... I've been saying for a long time, his speed is good but not great, which was the reason I didn't have him on the top 10 of my draft board and why he fell to Montreal. 

I'm pleased with the pick at 15, 

but lack of elite speed (coupled with lack of elite size) is his biggest weakness.  He makes up for it with his smarts and strong positioning that makes him seem faster than he is.  But the fact remains, he's a good, but not great skater.

On 9/2/2019 at 6:26 PM, Commandant said:

Caufield is NOT the fastest player on the ice in his shifts.... I've been saying for a long time, his speed is good but not great, which was the reason I didn't have him on the top 10 of my draft board and why he fell to Montreal. 

I'm pleased with the pick at 15, 

but lack of elite speed (coupled with lack of elite size) is his biggest weakness.  He makes up for it with his smarts and strong positioning that makes him seem faster than he is.  But the fact remains, he's a good, but not great skater.

this might seem Weak as a comment but Courtnal's speed (to me) was that much more effective bcuz of when he turned on the jets. If Caufield can bring the high IQ hockey into NHL and do the power skating thing these guys do. I think he will a ok. but you follow these kids more then I do, so I do love and enjoy your assessments on the young guns and not so guns  :)  

21 minutes ago, ehjay said:

this might seem Weak as a comment but Courtnal's speed (to me) was that much more effective bcuz of when he turned on the jets. If Caufield can bring the high IQ hockey into NHL and do the power skating thing these guys do. I think he will a ok. but you follow these kids more then I do, so I do love and enjoy your assessments on the young guns and not so guns  :)  

Courtnall has the jets, but his hands rarely could keep up with his feet. If his hands and feet matched his speed he would have been a 50 goal scorer.  

From what I’ve seen of Caufield, his hands, shot and hockey smart are probably better than courtnall.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Courtnall has the jets, but his hands rarely could keep up with his feet. If his hands and feet matched his speed he would have been a 50 goal scorer.  

From what I’ve seen of Caufield, his hands, shot and hockey smart are probably better than courtnall.

True!!! :o:)

From your lips to the Divine Hockey Divinities ears and will!!! :)

(edit) man!!! the hours I spent tring to lean to take off on my toes like he did, what a waste of time!! lollll :)

1 hour ago, ehjay said:

There is always room for players to improve weaknesses in their game.  But thats true of every player.  Could Caufields skating get better? Sure.  Its probably never going to be elite though.  While players can get better its usually good becoming very good.

Its usually not good moving all the way to elite like a russ courtnall was.

• Upvote 1

I would bet, Byron, McDavid, Larkin, Bure, Hull (not Chubbs) etc were fastest of their age group at 7, 10, 14, 18 yr old... with or without power skating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Courtnall would skate circles around everyone and then nothing would happen.  

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Courtnall would skate circles around everyone and then nothing would happen.  

Yep.  Or he would get a ridiculous number if breakaways, but wouldn’t be able to finish most of the time.

When Byron was in Calgary, he reminded me Courtnall.  He would get a breakaway almost every game, but would rarely finish.  I haven’t looked at the stats, but I’m pretty sure he got a lot more shots and had a higher shooting percentage, in Montreal, just from an eye test.

On ‎2019‎-‎09‎-‎04 at 4:15 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

Yep.  Or he would get a ridiculous number if breakaways, but wouldn’t be able to finish most of the time.

When Byron was in Calgary, he reminded me Courtnall.  He would get a breakaway almost every game, but would rarely finish.  I haven’t looked at the stats, but I’m pretty sure he got a lot more shots and had a higher shooting percentage, in Montreal, just from an eye test.

and still, IMHO, he doesn't burry a lot of his breakaways.

56 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

and still, IMHO, he doesn't burry a lot of his breakaways.

Which most dont. Look at shootout % and average is only 30-40% i think.

But, Byron gets more breakaways than most, for sure.

On 9/4/2019 at 1:15 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

I never understood why he's not nicknamed "Breakaway Byron." Seems so obvious.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I never understood why he's not nicknamed "Breakaway Byron." Seems so obvious.

There isn’t much creativity in nicknames anymore. I think they’d be more likely to come with something like byro, (like some of the players have called Price, pricer or pricey), than one than one that makes sense.

17 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There isn’t much creativity in nicknames anymore. I think they’d be more likely to come with something like byro, (like some of the players have called Price, pricer or pricey), than one than one that makes sense.

I agree, but you can't really expect a bunch of jocks to come up with clever monikers - especially jocks who cultivate the boring PR image of most hockey players. Much of the problem is that the hockey media are letting us down. A lot of the great nicknames of the past were coined by hockey writers: "The Chicoutimi Cucumber," "The Stratford Streak," "Boom Boom," "The Rocket/Pocket Rocket," "The Golden Jet," and, of course, that all-time favourite: "Red Light Racicot!" I still remember that headline for a Red Fisher story. Inspired. "Breakaway Byron" is not in that league, but come on, it's obvious.

(Incidentally, "The Flower" was, I think, a great nickname for #10. I know it was just a literal translation of his surname, but I loved how non-jock, non-macho it was - like Pierre Trudeau's lapel rose, it captured perfectly the elegance and panache of his game).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 4:11 PM, BCHabnut said:

The road runner and big bird would today be "corny" or "ives" and "robsy" 

Lame.

thanks hockey Divinities we have a Tuna!!!! :D