2019 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

4 hours ago, Metallica said:

Wow PK on his way to Nj, also I think Toronto gave up way to much for cap space. Wow after seeing what Nashville got back for PK looks like we won that trade.

Lots of Leafs fans will be unhappy about that one.  I would've done that deal with the Leafs if it were made available to the Habs.  Marleau is a good leader and would have been a good mentor for Kotkaniemi (even if it was just for a year).  Not sure he would have waived to come to Montreal though.

12 minutes ago, John B said:

Lots of Leafs fans will be unhappy about that one.  I would've done that deal with the Leafs if it were made available to the Habs.  Marleau is a good leader and would have been a good mentor for Kotkaniemi (even if it was just for a year).  Not sure he would have waived to come to Montreal though.

Technically, he didn't waive to go to Carolina either.  It sounds like the promise of a buyout was required for him to waive.  As a 35+ contract, there's no cap relief on a buyout so Carolina will eat his full cap hit next season.

Big oof for cap strapped teams. Tampa probably feels pressure to move Callahan. Vegas just got hard screwed by this. Edmonton can't be that happy either.

Habs are in a position to add salary for 2 years before their own crunch will hit them, should they decide to "help" out one of these teams. 

37 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Big oof for cap strapped teams. Tampa probably feels pressure to move Callahan. Vegas just got hard screwed by this. Edmonton can't be that happy either.

Habs are in a position to add salary for 2 years before their own crunch will hit them, should they decide to "help" out one of these teams. 

Maybe habs trade Alzner to a team and take back a bigger contract and a 1st round pick to help a team out

45 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Callahan's out for the year so in a pinch, they can just LTIR him.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Id like to do a deal similar to what jersey did today.  Give up low value to take on a good player cause of the contract.

Look for a left d.

49 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Supposedly the Canucks are interested in Benn ...

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/06/24/vancouver-canucks-rumours-nyquist-benn-myers/

But I really don't know Hutton. Would this trade make sense for us?

Benn really has no trade value as a UFA that is already in the interview stage.  A team acquiring Hutton wouldn't want to qualify him either for the same reason Vancouver's pondering not doing so.

Chicago picks up Calvin De Haan (and Aleksi Saarela) from Carolina for next to nothing (Gustav Forsling and Anton Forsberg, the latter of which wasn't expected to receive a qualifying offer). 

6 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Supposedly the Canucks are interested in Benn ...

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/06/24/vancouver-canucks-rumours-nyquist-benn-myers/

But I really don't know Hutton. Would this trade make sense for us?

It wouldn't be a trade.  I would suggest signing Hutton as a UFA if the Canucks don't qualify him.  I'd hope to get another Kulak like player there.  It wouldn't solve our need for a top pair LD but the hope would be Mete, Kulak, Hutton would be a stop gap group til Romanov is ready. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

It wouldn't be a trade.  I would suggest signing Hutton as a UFA if the Canucks don't qualify him.  I'd hope to get another Kulak like player there.  It wouldn't solve our need for a top pair LD but the hope would be Mete, Kulak, Hutton would be a stop gap group til Romanov is ready. 

I agree 100%. Hutton ate a lot of minutes for the Canucks last season so this is a slightly odd move for them (and probably a sign that Benning is going all-in on a radical restructuring of the back end - look for the Canucks to make a splash, either with UFAs or via trade). But then again Travis Green was always a bit suspicious of Hutton’s work ethic, and they’ve been overpaying him.

The kid kid shoots left and has some offensive tools. Think of him as Reilly 2.0, but worth a shot because he improved significantly last season after major sophomore struggles. I’d like to see us sign him.

Colorado traded Söderberg.

Their capspace is over 38 Million. 

Will they try to spend to the cap? If so no UFAs will be left. 

Maybe they should offersheet Marner.

With our cap space I just hope we don't over pay for Duchene. I feel like we can finally say we don't need a center as bad as we once did. I am happy with the group we have and really looking forward to our young group coming up. So I can't believe i am saying this but we don't need a center. Spend the money on making our D core better.

Danault 

Domi 

Kotkaniemi 

Thompson 

Weal 

Poehling 

Suzuki 

I am really ok with this group.  We had 96pts last year missed the playoffs by 1 point , in large  part because We had no PP. We up group our D with better puck moving defensemen that can QB our PP and we make the playoffs.

53 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

They've got space, but they also have half a team to sign. Only 5 forwards under contract, 1 goalie. They need to resign Zadorov and Rantanen (and to a lesser degree, Kerfoot and Compher) just to name a few. Their cap situation isn't dire by any stretch, but they've got a lot of spots to fill.

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Maybe their just getting ready for offer sheet's on their top RFA. I think this summer could be a crazy one. 

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Zubov and Carbonneau into hall of fame? Seems very low bar to get in.

Carbonneau 3 time selke winner

3 time Stanley cup winner

Top 2 way player of his time 

How is that a low bar?????

Zubov 

2 time Stanley cup winner 

2nd all time Russian point leader for Defensemen  in the NHL.

Hows that a low bar ????

• Upvote 1

I am glad to see Carbo make it into the Hall, players who can shutdown the opposition stars deserve the recognition.  He did a great job shadowing 99, and 66 when they played. He may not have won a scoring title but his work over his career shows that he belongs there. 

Edited by Richard09
  • Like 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic