2019 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

48 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

And it's not a coincidence that right at the time the trade was made, Deryk Engelland signed a contract with performance bonuses in it.  (They also have Cody Glass who could hit some if he winds up playing for them next season.)  I had heard that his deal was basically done three weeks ago so it's clear that clearing out Clarkson was what was holding up the official announcement.  For Vegas, this move gives them a bit of protection with the bonuses (plus someone they might like as a backup goalie).

Right. And conversely the Leafs may be starting the season with no one on the roster that has performance bonuses.

What I can't understand is how teams like the Leafs can hand out multiple contracts in excess fo 5-6 million and be ok with the cap and MB can't.  Are they dealing with a different currency than MB or is MB just incompetent and can't manage close to the CAP to have a competitive team?

Leafs are OK with the cap? Really?

At the moment they have zero cap space and they still need to sign Marner. And the only way they got down to the cap is that they have ten (!) players on sub-$1M contracts whereas we have two (or three, if you count Hudon).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Richard09 said:

What I can't understand is how teams like the Leafs can hand out multiple contracts in excess fo 5-6 million and be ok with the cap and MB can't.  Are they dealing with a different currency than MB or is MB just incompetent and can't manage close to the CAP to have a competitive team?

I think you don't quite understand how the cap works. 

The Habs also have multiple contracts in excess of 5 million. 

Weber
Price
Drouin
Petry

all make more than 5 million. 

And the team has cap space to add one more player to that bracket. 

Advanced issues found

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think you don't quite understand how the cap works. 

The Habs also have multiple contracts in excess of 5 million. 

Weber
Price
Drouin
Petry

all make more than 5 million. 

And the team has cap space to add one more player to that bracket. 

Except...they don't.  The Habs only have $4m in Cap Space left - and need some of that for things that happen during the season.

23 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Except...they don't.  The Habs only have $4m in Cap Space left - and need some of that for things that happen during the season.

So you're expecting Alzer, Weise, and Peca to start the year in MTL? There's an extra $3M and change right there.

The Habs have 25 players on their roster on cap friendly right now. 

Every player they send down, they save the first 1.075 million in salary. 

23 men is the max NHL roster... so to add a player they send 3 to the AHL. 

Sending down Alzner, Peca and Weise, means they would have 7.269 million in space. 

Most teams leave about a million in space for callups due to injury. 

They could sign a player worth up to 6 million with no other moves. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The Habs have 25 players on their roster on cap friendly right now. 

Every player they send down, they save the first 1.075 million in salary. 

23 men is the max NHL roster... so to add a player they send 3 to the AHL. 

Sending down Alzner, Peca and Weise, means they would have 7.269 million in space. 

Most teams leave about a million in space for callups due to injury. 

They could sign a player worth up to 6 million with no other moves. 

Can we sticky this post somehow?  ^_^

11 hours ago, Richard09 said:

Come on man....

Using the Leafs in any conversation about being ok with the cap right now is ludicrous, they have had to reshape their roster in a significant way to try to get around their cap issues, have a handful of important expiring contracts next summer that will be nearly impossible to hold onto. They have their best player without a contract and are needing to scrounge every last penny of cap space to even attempt to facilitate that signing. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Link67 said:

Come on man....

Using the Leafs in any conversation about being ok with the cap right now is ludicrous, they have had to reshape their roster in a significant way to try to get around their cap issues, have a handful of important expiring contracts next summer that will be nearly impossible to hold onto. They have their best player without a contract and are needing to scrounge every last penny of cap space to even attempt to facilitate that signing. 

Yup, giving away a #1 pick for nothing likely not as planned and supposedly still will have cap issues this and next year.

11 hours ago, Link67 said:

Come on man....

While I agree that the Leafs are in a very tough Cap situation.. their star power is also impressive.

They have three legit stars - Marner, Tavares, and Matthews - and another forward who could be special - Nylander.

It's a problem many teams would be willing to take on.

16 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

While I agree that the Leafs are in a very tough Cap situation.. their star power is also impressive.

They have three legit stars - Marner, Tavares, and Matthews - and another forward who could be special - Nylander.

It's a problem many teams would be willing to take on.

They had 3 legit stars and Nylander last year and how did that turn out? Won all of 2 more playoff games than Habs wasnt it.

1 hour ago, DON said:

They had 3 legit stars and Nylander last year and how did that turn out? Won all of 2 more playoff games than Habs wasnt it.

I’m not saying they are cup favourites.. the D is mediocre and I’m not convinced Andersen is the guy in net to get them there.. but they are a playoff lock and have a good chance at winning it all.

I love the Habs, always will.

But Toronto’s cap problem is one I’d love to have.. 

20 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

have a good chance at winning it all.

If your old enough to remember, Leafs have had lots of good forwards and goalies over the past 52years and have come up short every time. And i think is safe to say, is a good chance they dont win a cup this year.

55 minutes ago, DON said:

If your old enough to remember, Leafs have had lots of good forwards and goalies over the past 52years and have come up short every time. And i think is safe to say, is a good chance they dont win a cup this year.

Along with many other things, there is a lot of luck that follows success. Or vice virsa

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I’m not saying they are cup favourites.. the D is mediocre and I’m not convinced Andersen is the guy in net to get them there.. but they are a playoff lock and have a good chance at winning it all.

I love the Habs, always will.

But Toronto’s cap problem is one I’d love to have.. 

No one is saying they are a bad team. 

However, the idea that they don't have cap issues, isn't exactly true. 

Barrie looks like a 1 year rental, as he's asking for 8 million per year, and I don't see how they fit that in.  

Crosby and Malkin have made alot of cheap mediocre players look like stars, why not Tavares, Mathews and Marner?

A little luck from their prospects and a Jaro Halak playoffs from Andersen and I could see them haveing a legitimate shot at the cup.

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Crosby and Malkin have made alot of cheap mediocre players look like stars, why not Tavares, Mathews and Marner? Proven Leadership for one reason.

A little luck from their prospects and a Jaro Halak playoffs from Andersen and Tavares-Marner are healthy till mid-June (Habs got derailed just losing 1 top player vs Rangers, same as Tampa with Bishop-Stamkos or Hedman going down to/playing through injury) I could see them haveing a legitimate shot at the cup.

An update on some of the teams in cap trouble...

Rangers: Assuming they bury Beleskey and demote Hajek to the minors, the Rangers are currently over the cap by ~2 million and still have Deangelo and Lemieux to sign. That Dan Girardi buyout has bitten them harder than they probably expected it would. They'd love to get rid of Brendan Smith (2 years, $4 350 000, m-ntc) and Marc Staal (2 years, $5 700 000, nmc), but I expect they'll need to trade 1 of Shattenkirk, Namestikov, or Kreider this summer to make their cap work.

Capitals: They need to drop ~1.4 million in cap before the season starts. Assuming their core is untouchable and their recent free agent signings won't be traded, I wonder if Eller is the odd man out here?

Flames: Have ~6.3 million to sign Tkachuk and Mangiapane. They might buy out Stone, but they could need a few more dollars freed up.

Canucks: With Eriksson and Fantenberg buried in the AHL they have ~7 million to sign Boeser and Goldobin. They were hurting for cap space even before the Luongo cap recapture.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic