2019 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

27 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Tampa trades Callahan and a 5th to Ottawa for Condon and a 6th.

The market for cap dumps really took a downturn after the Leafs had to part with a 1st to get rid of Marleau.

The issue here is that this is a dump for both teams. 

Tampa dumps the cap space. 

Ottawa dumps money, cause Condon has to be paid by the team, while the majority of Callahan's contract comes out of insurance. 

So its not the same as Marleau where the cost was both cash and cap hit (and all on one team).   This is saving one team cap space, and one team cash.  Guess which one is Eugene Melnyk. 

52 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The issue here is that this is a dump for both teams. 

Tampa dumps the cap space. 

Ottawa dumps money, cause Condon has to be paid by the team, while the majority of Callahan's contract comes out of insurance. 

So its not the same as Marleau where the cost was both cash and cap hit (and all on one team).   This is saving one team cap space, and one team cash.  Guess which one is Eugene Melnyk. 

:lol:

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Sabres are over the cap. Not sure how correct I'll be, but I wonder if Scandella gets bought out?

Maybe they would like to send Ristolainen to Montreal for somebody inexpensive. Maybe McCarron? :D

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Sabres are over the cap. Not sure how correct I'll be, but I wonder if Scandella gets bought out?

I think they'll be okay just by burying a couple of players in the minors.  Matt Hunwick and Casey Nelson come to mind.  That would knock off nearly a couple of million from their cap and get them back under.  I think they'd like to get rid of Scandella (to free up a spot for Jokiharju or Pilut) but a trade is probably their preferred route for him.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think they'll be okay just by burying a couple of players in the minors.  Matt Hunwick and Casey Nelson come to mind.  That would knock off nearly a couple of million from their cap and get them back under.  I think they'd like to get rid of Scandella (to free up a spot for Jokiharju or Pilut) but a trade is probably their preferred route for him.

A trade I'd be interested in the Habs exploring if they didn't have Chiarot.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

A trade I'd be interested in the Habs exploring if they didn't have Chiarot.

Exactly, we don’t have room for both.

Now, if they were willing to trade Ristolainen it would be a different story.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I get that you're interested in Risto, but where would he play? Habs right side defense is pretty well set now and in the future.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe they would like to send Ristolainen to Montreal for somebody inexpensive. Maybe McCarron? :D

Risto is right handed and not good defensively at all.  Hes a black hole defensively.

They also apparently want a second line centre if they are going to move him.  If its just dumping sobotka or scandella or bogosian go first

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ive heard sobotka

I didn't think he met the cap hit criteria for a post-arb buyout, but he does just squeak over it. 

Man, they might have traded Ryan O'Reilly for 2 buyouts, a near-bust prospect, the 31st OA pick, and a probable 50+ OA pick.

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

Risto is right handed and not good defensively at all.  Hes a black hole defensively.

Yeah, someone would need to play on the off side, which is usually not a good thing. He's definitely offensive D, although I don't think quite a black hole defensively :) so I do agree not really what we need right now.

While I do like Ristolainen, I didn't really make it as a serious proposal ... I just keep reading and looking for decent D that could be pried loose from somewhere.

Shattenkirk to Tampa Bay, one year and $1.75MM.  That's a really nice pickup for them although they may have to go make another cap dump trade unless they force Point onto a bridge deal.  They're also at 49 contracts with Point (and Adam Erne) to re-sign so they'll have to trade a player or two to get into contract compliance as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I didn't think he met the cap hit criteria for a post-arb buyout, but he does just squeak over it. 

Man, they might have traded Ryan O'Reilly for 2 buyouts, a near-bust prospect, the 31st OA pick, and a probable 50+ OA pick.

My memory may be hazy, but I seem to recall many commentaries on this site and elsewhere talking about the "steep price" St Louis paid to get O'Reilly. <_<

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My memory may be hazy, but I seem to recall many commentaries on this site and elsewhere talking about the "steep price" St Louis paid to get O'Reilly. <_<

I argued against the "steep price" that buffalo.was reportedly asking from the habs for Oreilly.

They sold him for way less outside the division then they were willing to do inside the division.  Which is stupid if you ask me. Get the best deal for.the player regardless of where you send him.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

I argued against the "steep price" that buffalo.was reportedly asking from the habs for Oreilly.

They sold him for way less outside the division then they were willing to do inside the division.  Which is stupid if you ask me. Get the best deal for.the player regardless of where you send him.

Always agreed with that. To me, that strategy says that the GM values managerial ego - fear of being made to look bad by the guy you traded away - more than winning.

Kucherov with 128pts was the most since #66 had 161 in 95-96, hope we see higher scoring all round, shrink the goalie gear a bit more , remove that trapazoid area and might as well axe goal creases as well (they seem meaningless in NHL).

14 hours ago, DON said:

Kucherov with 128pts was the most since #66 had 161 in 95-96, hope we see higher scoring all round, shrink the goalie gear a bit more , remove that trapazoid area and might as well axe goal creases as well (they seem meaningless in NHL).

Shrinking the goaie gear is a no-brainer, provided it can be done safely.

The trapezoid may actually help with scoring, since it prevents goalies from playing Third Defenceman back there. 

The goalie crease *should* mean something, even if brain-dead NHL officiating is incapable of actualizing that.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Shrinking the goaie gear is a no-brainer, provided it can be done safely. How about shrinking the glove and blocker to exact same dimensions as were in the 70s?

The trapezoid may actually help with scoring, since it prevents goalies from playing Third Defenceman back there. I disagree, all goalies think they are better handling puck than they really are and will allow for many more turnovers by goalies and also increased safety for d-men.

The goalie crease *should* mean something, even if brain-dead NHL officiating is incapable of actualizing that. But, it simply doesn't even factor in to goal/no goal or penalty/no penalty anymore. Only international hockey does it seem to matter and I think works well there.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Pat Maroon signs in Tampa, 1 year, $900 000.

Shocked St Louis didn't keep him at that cost.

That’s a nice pickup for a stacked team..

• dlbalr unpinned this topic