2019 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Pat Maroon signs in Tampa, 1 year, $900 000.

Shocked St Louis didn't keep him at that cost.

It's a cap/roster issue.  They need everything they have left for Barbashev and they also will want to give Kyrou more of a look next season.

21 hours ago, DON said:

Lehkonen goaded his old mentor Plekanec into tennis matches and the wily Czech smoked the youngster.

Hahah, isn’t Plek married to a pro tennis player? I remember in the past that was one of the ways plek stayed nimble over the summer. Bet he’s nearly pro level at tennis

21 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Hahah, isn’t Plek married to a pro tennis player? I remember in the past that was one of the ways plek stayed nimble over the summer. Bet he’s nearly pro level at tennis

He's expecting a child with Lucie Šafářová, a five-time Grand Slam doubles winner.

Jesse Puljujarvi signs a one-year deal with Karpat Oulu in Finland with an NHL out clause until December 1st (the deadline for RFAs to sign if they want to play in the NHL).  I don't think that's going to increase Edmonton's willingness to deal him but we'll see what happens.

Former Hab prospect Hayden Hawkey is going to Washington's camp on a tryout basis.  He'd be their fifth-stringer by a considerable margin so clearly, there wasn't much of a market for him which is surprising.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Jesse Puljujarvi signs a one-year deal with Karpat Oulu in Finland with an NHL out clause until December 1st (the deadline for RFAs to sign if they want to play in the NHL).  I don't think that's going to increase Edmonton's willingness to deal him but we'll see what happens.

I think Pulju will playing in Finland for the year. If he can turn things around there, maybe there will be a second chance for him in the NHL.

From what I have read, the Oilers have been asking for a fairly steep price for him, based on his projected ceiling rather than his actual performance. And that would certainly reduce the other teams' level of interest in him.

It's the offseason so there's very little to write about.  That's why on my other site, we've rebooted our Redraft series.  We're focusing on 2007, a draft class where the Habs did extremely well to the point where their big three from this group all went in the top seven.

If anyone cares to vote on who they should pick in the redraft, here's the ballot with the Habs on the board at #12: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019/08/2007-nhl-draft-take-two-twelfth-overall-pick.html

• Like 1

On 29/08/2019 at 8:37 PM, dlbalr said:

It's the offseason so there's very little to write about.  That's why on my other site, we've rebooted our Redraft series.  We're focusing on 2007, a draft class where the Habs did extremely well to the point where their big three from this group all went in the top seven.

If anyone cares to vote on who they should pick in the redraft, here's the ballot with the Habs on the board at #12: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019/08/2007-nhl-draft-take-two-twelfth-overall-pick.html

intresting according to this the Habs picked 3 top 10 in 2007.   

Zacha (devils rfa) signed a deal in russia with no NHL out clause.

Werenski 3yrs 15 million.  The significant part of this deal is that it is 4 m 4 m 7m so the jackets have to make a 7m 1 year qualifying offer at the end of the deal to keep him an rfa.

On ‎2019‎-‎09‎-‎06 at 9:25 PM, Commandant said:

Between LTIR and getting their roster from 24 to 23 by sending someone to the AHL, they will be fine. 

who's the LTIR candidate ?

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Werenski 3yrs 15 million.  The significant part of this deal is that it is 4 m 4 m 7m so the jackets have to make a 7m 1 year qualifying offer at the end of the deal to keep him an rfa.

That's good planning by Werenski (or his agent).

Provorov is off the board, signing a six-year, deal with a $6.75 million cap hit.  That was my rough projection back on Sunday on PHR - it's nice to get one right.  With him and Werenski signed, that should push Charlie McAvoy's talks towards a conclusion (I'd be okay if he didn't sign for a while though).  I have a hunch some of these forwards are going to drag it out though.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Six years at $10.893 million for Marner with Toronto.  The Leafs now have three of the seven highest-paid players in the league.  Will that move the needle on the rest of the RFA market now?

That should break open the logjam of RFA contracts.

The Leafs are now using $13M (!) of LTIR, and those three players are using up 40% of their cap space. To make up for that, they have 11 (!) players with cap hits of below $1M. It will be interesting to see how this strategy works out for them.

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That should break open the logjam of RFA contracts.

The Leafs are now using $13M (!) of LTIR, and those three players are using up 40% of their cap space. To make up for that, they have 11 (!) players with cap hits of below $1M. It will be interesting to see how this strategy works out for them.

It's probably too top-heavy, eh? A bit of a Pttsburgh model. I was surprised they didn't move Nylander, who I like a lot as an exciting skilled player, but who is probably the odd man out of their youthful core. But maybe they are waiting for his value to creep back up after his disastrous season last year. 

If you flip a Nylander for prospects/picks, you are better positiond to keep up a pipeline of cheap young talent coming up to supplement the core. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's probably too top-heavy, eh? A bit of a Pttsburgh model. I was surprised they didn't move Nylander, who I like a lot as an exciting skilled player, but who is probably the odd man out of their youthful core. But maybe they are waiting for his value to creep back up after his disastrous season last year. 

If you flip a Nylander for prospects/picks, you are better positiond to keep up a pipeline of cheap young talent coming up to supplement the core. 

Yeah, I think that would have been a better strategy. But we'll see, maybe this way will actually work, too.

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah, I think that would have been a better strategy. But we'll see, maybe this way will actually work, too.

Let's hope it crashes and burns spectacularly

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Sounds like Big Buff  would be contemplating retirement.  As if the Jets were not already in some trouble.

Just imagine the reaction here if that was Weber. 😱

• dlbalr unpinned this topic