2019 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

15 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I would laugh a bit at Nashvilles cap situation if it was Weber. 

That is true...but it wouldn’t be my first thought 😎

11 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Someone go make sure Point's family isn't currently locked in Brisebois' basement.

The Boeser contract basically set the market.  I don't like the deal for Tampa that much, to be honest.  Yes, the value is there but if Point isn't happy at the end of his deal, he can just file for arbitration and walk to free agency a year later.  If you're going with a bridge deal, it needs to be two years in most circumstances.  (Boeser was a 10.2 C player so there's still two years of control at the end of his deal so the circumstances are a little different.)

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The Boeser contract basically set the market.  I don't like the deal for Tampa that much, to be honest.  Yes, the value is there but if Point isn't happy at the end of his deal, he can just file for arbitration and walk to free agency a year later.  If you're going with a bridge deal, it needs to be two years in most circumstances.  (Boeser was a 10.2 C player so there's still two years of control at the end of his deal so the circumstances are a little different.)

What happened to Marner setting the market? 

58 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

What happened to Marner setting the market? 

That set the market for the top-end guys signing longer-term.  Mikko Rantanen's camp is using that as a comparable though I imagine he'll come in a bit below that.  Boeser and even someone like Werenski really set the market for the three-year bridge - a lower AAV but a back-loaded third year which is something we haven't seen in a few years.  But Point was never going to be in that mix as Tampa simply couldn't afford the higher price tag nor would they be willing to go past $9.5M where Kucherov and Vasilevskiy (next year) are at.  That made the bridge deal inevitable.  Their offer was believed to be a lot lower than this one (working off Kucherov's old bridge) but Boeser getting more than what Tampa was initially offering forced their hand.

• Like 1

Pronman looked back at 2018 draft,

ranks Kotkaniemi at 3rd and Zadina at 10th.

Drafted: No. 3
Pronman’s 2018 rank: No. 4

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 55
Hockey Sense: 65

Then: Kotkaniemi was a top talent in his age group who progressed at the professional and international levels into a premier player in the class. He intrigued as a center with high-end skill and IQ. He also had size but average feet.

Now: Kotkaniemi was very impressive as the youngest player in the NHL. He wasn’t incredibly productive but showed he could make difficult plays at the top level and be useful at even strength. He looks on track to become a first-line center one day.

He had Romanov at 35th and Ylonen at 46th Olofsson at 60th

5 hours ago, DON said:

Pronman looked back at 2018 draft,

ranks Kotkaniemi at 3rd and Zadina at 10th.

Drafted: No. 3
Pronman’s 2018 rank: No. 4

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 55
Hockey Sense: 65

Then: Kotkaniemi was a top talent in his age group who progressed at the professional and international levels into a premier player in the class. He intrigued as a center with high-end skill and IQ. He also had size but average feet.

Now: Kotkaniemi was very impressive as the youngest player in the NHL. He wasn’t incredibly productive but showed he could make difficult plays at the top level and be useful at even strength. He looks on track to become a first-line center one day.

He had Romanov at 35th and Ylonen at 46th Olofsson at 60th

Not quite what Pronnman did in that article. The list just shows where they were drafted and where he had them ranked at the time. He's only updated his player analysis on them, it isn't a redraft.

That $7M AAV got the Jets two UFA years (Laine, Point and Tkachuk signed for RFA years only) so it looks relatively low. I wouldn't have expected him to be able to get similar dollars to Rantanen and Marner anyway, though, but I think this is a substantially more (financially) attractive contract than Laine, for example.

Laine has significant risk (will he produce consistently? at what level? and will his D improve?) but Connor has unknowns as well: he has been great, but it's mostly been playing with Scheifele and Wheeler. How much would he be able to do with lesser linemates?

• dlbalr unpinned this topic