Habs will host 2020 draft

Trizzak

24 minutes ago, Neech said:

Hopefully we aren't pressured into choosing a homeboy this time.

My first thought exactly.

Honestly, I think that's tripe. While my memory is not exactly an iron trap, as I recall it Louis Leblanc was drafted right around the spot where most experts said he should be going. And he was C, which met the team's longstanding positional need, so if there was some doubt as to whether to take LLB or Kreider, you can see the purely hockey-related logic behind picking Leblanc. It's easy to look back now and say "well, they should have picked Kreider," but it does not follow that this was self-evident at the time; nor does it follow that the team was deliberately choosing the homeboy over a superior player.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Honestly, I think that's tripe. While my memory is not exactly an iron trap, as I recall it Louis Leblanc was drafted right around the spot where most experts said he should be going. And he was C, which met the team's longstanding positional need, so if there was some doubt as to whether to take LLB or Kreider, you can see the purely hockey-related logic behind picking Leblanc. It's easy to look back now and say "well, they should have picked Kreider," but it does not follow that this was self-evident at the time; nor does it follow that the team was deliberately choosing the homeboy over a superior player.

Ditto!

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

99.9% of  the people who say "they should have drafted Kreider that year" are doing so without having ever watched Kreider before the NHL Draft.  

The other 0.1% watch Philips Academy High School Hockey, or the Valley Jr. Warriors in the EJHL... the two teams he played for in his draft year. 

The guy didn't play for Boston College until after he was drafted. 

Playing in those leagues he is absolutely a question mark.  There is no way of knowing how that is going to translate against better competition.  Obviously, he could skate, but how much of his power game was playing that competition and how much was real?  Obviously now we know the answer, but at the time it was a legit question. 

The other thing is how would Kreider have developed from that to what he became in the Habs system?  Would he have gone under Lefebvre. 

I mean Leblanc came up.  Looked good, had 7 goals and 14 points in half a season, then went back to Lefebvre and turned to shit, and we all know Lefebvre doesn't have a good track record of developing talent.  So flip those picks, is Leblanc in the NHL and Kreider a bust?  I don't know the answer to that

• Upvote 1

It's unlikely to me that Leblanc happened to be the highest ranked guy on Timmins' board when our pick came up.  More likely it was Kreider or some nobody (I doubt we ever learn the truth about this).  The politics were in full force that draft, after a disappointing centennial season with the crowd wanting a Quebecker.  Depending on how this upcoming season turns out, there's still a chance for the politics to screw us over again.  

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

Tank for Lafreniere

It’s gotta rhyme doesn’t it?

lords prayer for lafreniere

play like you don’t care for lafreniere

always err for lafreniere

dont be prepared - get lafreniere’d?..

ok hes he’s tougher than most 

6 hours ago, Meller93 said:

It’s gotta rhyme doesn’t it?

lords prayer for lafreniere

play like you don’t care for lafreniere