Andrew Shaw traded to Chicago

dlbalr

28 minutes ago, Chris said:

No, carolina would match and MB wouldn't do much business after an offer sheet. 

Offer sheets are very rare

Carolina has been low-balling Aho.  There is no guarantee they will match.  Their owner is an odd-duck.  He has a number and he won't go over it. 

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

A 21 year old centre who scored 30 goals and 83 points last year isn't worth.... 9.5-10 million, aka 2 firsts, 1 second and 1 third?

In the prime years of his career. If Stone is worth $9.5M, Aho is worth at least that.

But surely Carolina would match? They have $25M of cap space, although only 14 or 15 players signed so far.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

In the prime years of his career. If Stone is worth $9.5M, Aho is worth at least that.

But surely Carolina would match? They have $25M of cap space, although only 14 or 15 players signed so far.

Their owner is lowballing him and has said he has his number and won't go past that. 

Isn’t offer-sheeting really frowned upon though?

I think MB gets by by having great relationships with other GMs, it be odd to see him do that.

It be be funny to me because Carolina was a big reason we missed some playoff hockey last year, be funny to see the Habs stick it to them lol. 

No one really knows how much it's frowned upon. They have been rare as hen's teeth in recent memory but it could be for not wanting to piss off other GMs, it could be because the draft choices made them too expensive, or it could be because there were no RFAs really worth it.

There might yet be some offer sheets this year. Maybe. And Aho is certainly a candidate for that.

9 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Hate to lose Shaw. 

That said - definitely good asset management - selling when he was at top value. 

Did we actually get a good price?  This move was about clearing salary.  Shaw had a great year but he could be volatile, and the term was risky because of his injury history.  I just hope I can stomach the contract(s) we'll sign.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Will miss Shaw and his hard work. I hope the guy can keep safe and retire soon before his brain is toasted. I thought he was worth more than what we got for him but he was clearly a cap move so I guess that plays into it.

Good luck Andrew Shaw

Paid Two 2nds for him, got 3 partial yrs out of him and now get 2nd, 3rd, 7th for him.

I was a fan of his, but he was undisciplined, injury prone and many thought overpaid.

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There is no guarantee we would have drafted Debrincat. 

Exactly. 38 teams passed him over before Chicago picked him up.

52 minutes ago, Neech said:

This trade will look a lot worse if we head into the season with a big chunk of empty cap space.  

Not really. 

With young players demanding big money and five year deals to get out of RFA status, the league will finally move to where it should be.

You pay your stars top dollar and make the middle tier players take paycuts. Instead of the past 20 years of middle players getting inflated deals in free agency while the top guys are expected to be team players and take paycuts.

Shaw's health is also a ticking timebomb. Now he's back to being Chicago's problem. Good riddance. 

59 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Not really. 

With young players demanding big money and five year deals to get out of RFA status, the league will finally move to where it should be.

You pay your stars top dollar and make the middle tier players take paycuts. Instead of the past 20 years of middle players getting inflated deals in free agency while the top guys are expected to be team players and take paycuts.

Shaw's health is also a ticking timebomb. Now he's back to being Chicago's problem. Good riddance. 

100% agree.  I can’t believe I actually read that we got three years of Shaw and the net cost was cost was a #3 pick instead of a #2 pick - conveniently forgetting that the hawks turned the part of the return for Shaw into a 40 goal scorer for Shaw - something we haven’t had since the early/mid 90’s.

every team passed on debricant, including some teams twice, chances are the habs have drafted a high scholl player from minnesita or wisconsin. 

Shaw has been very good and consistent for habs, he isn't a problem 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Not really. 

I agree that's it's better for the long haul, but heading into next year it looks bad unless we add someone big.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

100% agree.  I can’t believe I actually read that we got three years of Shaw and the net cost was cost was a #3 pick instead of a #2 pick - conveniently forgetting that the hawks turned the part of the return for Shaw into a 40 goal scorer for Shaw - something we haven’t had since the early/mid 90’s.

My god some of the stuff I read on here makes me question the state of humanity 

• Upvote 2