Free Agent Frenzy

dlbalr

2 hours ago, Habber31 said:

Gardiner had all of 5 power play points last year, all assists. He's not a top pairing d-man and will be garnering that kind of money(which is why he's still available). You have said it before too, he doesn't want to be in this kind of market. He shits the bed under pressure. 

I never said he shits the bed under pressure. 

I said he may not want the media attention.  i said that as a quality of life outside of the rink consideration that he may have.  I never said it had anything to do with his on ice play. 

As for the PP points. He had 15 the previous year.  Injuries and losing PP time to Reilly were a factor last year. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I never said he shits the bed under pressure. 

I said he may not want the media attention.  i said that as a quality of life outside of the rink consideration that he may have.  I never said it had anything to do with his on ice play. 

I wasn't listing the things you had said. It was me basically saying his game 7 performances leave a lot to be desired.

This city is a pressure cooker, I highly doubt he wants to go down that path again. 

I'm not going to get in the argument again, but I look at it as a 3 game sample size (one of which was 6 years ago).  To me, you get into issues when narratives for NHL players become about pressure and clutch.  I see them as simply a small sample size. 

One only needs to look at Marc-Andre Fleury and Sergei Bobrovsky to see these narratives fall apart. 

I want Gardiner.

If Canes dont match and we also get Aho then great!

Lets trade some other forward so we get the caproom.

If canes match and we dont get Aho thats also ok because I think we have good depth on forward anyway.

That LD is what we need most and that is Gardiner.

17 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I want Gardiner.

If Canes dont match and we also get Aho then great!

Lets trade some other forward so we get the caproom.

If canes match and we dont get Aho thats also ok because I think we have good depth on forward anyway.

That LD is what we need most and that is Gardiner.

We don't need to make a trade to sign Gardiner

Sign Gardiner. 

If the Canes don't match we can trade Byron, or Lehkonen or Armia or someone at that point. 

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We don't need to make a trade to sign Gardiner

Sign Gardiner. 

If the Canes don't match we can trade Byron, or Lehkonen or Armia or someone at that point. 

Yes.

better sign while we can. Deal with the capspace later if we have to.

16 hours ago, illWill said:

Please tell us what you would do if you were Bergevin

Something!  Anything!  This was nothing!!!!

The only good thing is that Carolina didn't wait a week to announce that they were matching the offer.  

What a waste of time that was.  Oh yeah, and now Carolina is pissed at Montreal...

13 minutes ago, Neech said:

Gardiner still out there, it looks like we'd have to offer a lot more money than anyone else for him to come here.

Well, if it was so,  don't you think that he'd be inked by now ?

14 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Well, if it was so,  don't you think that he'd be inked by now ?

No, because he's holding out for more money from a place he actually does want to go to.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neech said:

No, because he's holding out for more money from a place he actually does want to go to.

why would he ask for a lot more money from this place where he wants to go to ?

16 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

why would he ask for a lot more money from this place where he wants to go to ?

I don't follow your logic here.  Here's mine: he doesn't want to come to Montreal, even if we have the best offer atm.  Our only hope is to blow the other offers away.

• Like 1

I do think that Neech is right, though: he has zeroed in on the team (or possibly two teams) that he wants/plans to sign with. For whatever reason, the signature and announcement haven't been done yet, though.

If it were a bidding war, it would be over already. Fortunately for us, LD has not been in high demand this year.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

I don't follow your logic here.  Here's mine: he doesn't want to come to Montreal, even if we have the best offer atm.  Our only hope is to blow the other offers away.

My bad,  I thought you were saying that he was waiting after Montreal.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Devil's advocate: Or he wants to come to Montreal, but Bergevin hasn't yet offered a package that he's happy with.

Im hearing the issue with gardiner is term.

Something is up with his back injury (that cost him the end of the season) and there is concern before giving him term. Teams want more medicals and tests before agreeing to lomg term deals

So 6 years of Bergevin and he has yet  been able to add a top forward through free agency. Correct me if I am wrong but he has only added Alzner to a over priced and over term contract in which he is regretting now,  He does nothing at the deadline, nothing in free agency. For 2 years he has had the cap space, the draft picks and the prospects to pull off a major trade yet he doesn't.

He lives behind the concept that we have Price and him alone will win us a cup. What we're doing is just wasting Price  and Weber's good years that they have left. At this point with the young guys that we got coming up we should just call this a full rebuild and trade Price and Weber now that we can still get a boat load back for them. We're not going to win a cup by just sitting back and adding 4th line players. Either for once go all in and get the player we need or don't bother, but don't half ass it like he just did with the Aho offer sheet. Your telling me a extra 900k and a extra 1st is going to fare.  If we are serious about making a run those picks will mean nothing because they wont turn out to be as good as Aho.  I have tried to like Bergevin as GM, I really have. He's done a better job drafting  players for today's NHL, his even made 2 really good trades that got us Domi , Tatar and Suzuki.  But other than that really what has he done in 6 years  here? I am trying really hard here I am, but I am at my tipping point with him.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Im hearing the issue with gardiner is term.

Something is up with his back injury (that cost him the end of the season) and there is concern before giving him term. Teams want more medicals and tests before agreeing to lomg term deals

Can we safely assume he wants 6-7yr deal, as is his last big deal in career and he is basically the best LH UFA d-man available?

33 minutes ago, DON said:

Can we safely assume he wants 6-7yr deal, as is his last big deal in career and he is basically the best LH UFA d-man available?

Yeah he wants 5 or more years and teams want more medicals right now

39 minutes ago, Metallica said:

So 6 years of Bergevin and he has yet  been able to add a top forward through free agency. Correct me if I am wrong but he has only added Alzner to a over priced and over term contract in which he is regretting now,  He does nothing at the deadline, nothing in free agency. For 2 years he has had the cap space, the draft picks and the prospects to pull off a major trade yet he doesn't.

He lives behind the concept that we have Price and him alone will win us a cup. What we're doing is just wasting Price  and Weber's good years that they have left. At this point with the young guys that we got coming up we should just call this a full rebuild and trade Price and Weber now that we can still get a boat load back for them. We're not going to win a cup by just sitting back and adding 4th line players. Either for once go all in and get the player we need or don't bother, but don't half ass it like he just did with the Aho offer sheet. Your telling me a extra 900k and a extra 1st is going to fare.  If we are serious about making a run those picks will mean nothing because they wont turn out to be as good as Aho.  I have tried to like Bergevin as GM, I really have. He's done a better job drafting  players for today's NHL, his even made 2 really good trades that got us Domi , Tatar and Suzuki.  But other than that really what has he done in 6 years  here? I am trying really hard here I am, but I am at my tipping point with him.

Chris Johnston was on the fan960 and when asked the question whether Other GM’s will be pissed off at MB, Johnston said that they are probably thanking him.  A lot of the RFA’s that we’re looking for $10m deals (like Tkachuk in Calgary) are now going to have Aho as a comparable.

all of the teams were waiting for someone to make the first move with the fear of this dragging into a. Nylander situation.  Now it should be easier to see where a player compares better or worse the Aho.

but yeah I agree. Either go all in, or sell your older guys like he NYR’s did and do a true rebuild with the kids.

• Upvote 1

Actually what Bergevin just did with that offer sheet is help these young top RFA's get to be a UFA at a great age, something GM's didn't want to happen.  Gm's were trying to sign their RFA's past 5 years so they can't hit UFA from age's 25-27. But their agent's were pushing for 5 year terms. I think Bergevin got fished into it by Aho's agent which was very clever on the agent's part.

20 minutes ago, Metallica said:

How did my post get a negative? You people that are fans of Bergevin need to stop giving negative mark's to people's post for no reason.

Hey, I got downvoted because I dared to be positive about the offer sheet. :blink: