Habs sign Sebastian Aho to offer sheet

dlbalr

5 hours ago, Metallica said:

If you're going to do a offer sheet you're going to have to over pay for that player to get the team not to match.

In the Aho case Carolina match because it was worth it to them. 1 1st, 1 2nd , and 1 3rd  draft pick is clearly north worth losing Aho. You could get more in a trade for him. 

I think  if Montreal went 9.5mil *7 and front loaded the first 3 years ,Carolina would of never matched it and Aho would be a Hab right now.

You really think 1 million cap hit more for a team with zero cap issue was going to seal the deal, that they give a damn about the extra 1st round pick? They were clearly not about to let their best player walk, 8.5, 9.5, 10 mill, they would have matched it. The only deal they wouldn't have matched, is one we would be crazy to make, that would compromise our own team salary cap for years. 

They just spent the whole season trying to market themselves to their fan base in a new way, it picked up steam, they had a good run, and you really think 1 million more would have swayed them to decide to throw all that progress away by letting their fans know "if someone throws big cash at our top players we are backing off, sorry we are cheap?"

Nah..

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Metallica said:

If you're going to do a offer sheet you're going to have to over pay for that player to get the team not to match.

In the Aho case Carolina match because it was worth it to them. 1 1st, 1 2nd , and 1 3rd  draft pick is clearly north worth losing Aho. You could get more in a trade for him. 

I think  if Montreal went 9.5mil *7 and front loaded the first 3 years ,Carolina would of never matched it and Aho would be a Hab right now.

And youd give up 4 first round picks on 9.5 by 7

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

And youd give up 4 first round picks on 9.5 by 7

No it would be 2 1st, 2nd and 3rd  at 9.5mi. I believe over 10mil would be 4

29 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Commandant is right. In the offer sheet compensation calculations, for a 6+ year contract you take the total and divide by five, so you end up with an average of $13 or so, and four first-round picks.

Has the offer sheet been matched yet or is it still going to be matched?

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

No it would be 4 firsts.

Anything over 5 years you take the total value of the contract and divide by 5 to figure out the compensation.

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

Has the offer sheet been matched yet or is it still going to be matched?

Not yet officially matched.  Carolina indicated they'll wait until the last moments to match just to try to make it trickier for Montreal to make other moves.  (For example, if they want to trade one of those picks, they can't until Monday when the Hurricanes officially match.)

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not yet officially matched.  Carolina indicated they'll wait until the last moments to match just to try to make it trickier for Montreal to make other moves.  (For example, if they want to trade one of those picks, they can't until Monday when the Hurricanes officially match.)

They ARE a bunch of jerks!

Ok so 4 1st round picks we would be giving up. If management is serious about making a run at the cup then for the next for years those picks would be from 25-31 no one at that pick would turn out to be as good as Aho. So giving up the picks shouldn't be a problem.

53 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Ok so 4 1st round picks we would be giving up. If management is serious about making a run at the cup then for the next for years those picks would be from 25-31 no one at that pick would turn out to be as good as Aho. So giving up the picks shouldn't be a problem.

Carolina would be doing the same calculation, so they might well have matched at that level, too.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

The idea is to take a swing at the player and try to get him for a cost in both salary and picks that they were comfortable with.  Maybe they didnt want 4 first rounders for aho.

They took a swing.  Carolina matched.  Montreal lost nothing in the process 

18 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Ima still not sold yet, idk why;

I think the bonus is a conundrum. I know billionaire owners poop 11mil in mornings but still idk 

1 hour ago, ehjay said:

Ima still not sold yet, idk why;

I think the bonus is a conundrum. I know billionaire owners poop 11mil in mornings but still idk 

The first signing bonus is due five days after the offer sheet is matched so if Dundon needs time to move money around to free it up to pay the bonus, it makes sense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The first signing bonus is due five days after the offer sheet is matched so if Dundon needs time to move money around to free it up to pay the bonus, it makes sense.

When you own an asset worth as much as an NHL franchise (let alone all of the other assets a billionaire can put up as collateral), I'm guessing any bank you might wander into will loan you the 11 million dollars in cash you need to pay the bonus without blinking.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

When you own an asset worth as much as an NHL franchise (let alone all of the other assets a billionaire can put up as collateral), I'm guessing any bank you might wander into will loan you the 11 million dollars in cash you need to pay the bonus without blinking.

In theory, yes. But even then it depends on how heavily those assets have already been pledged as collateral for other debts.

48 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Is it saving face or did he always want to go back? We'll probably never know 

Of course he wanted to go back.  98% of players want to stay with the organization that drafted and developed them.

He states right in his media release why he did what he did..."I had limited options to move this process along "...

His agent brilliantly played Bergevin. Should make future negoatiations with Gallagher interesting

13 minutes ago, kaos said:

Of course he wanted to go back.  98% of players want to stay with the organization that drafted and developed them.

He states right in his media release why he did what he did..."I had limited options to move this process along "...

Even if he preferred Montreal, he would be saying that he's happy to stay in Carolina. So let's not read too much into that statement.

17 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Even if he preferred Montreal, he would be saying that he's happy to stay in Carolina. So let's not read too much into that statement.

Dont read too much into it? He tells you the exact reason why he did what he did.  It was a business decision and he used Montreal as leverage in it.  At best you can say he would haven been happy to play equally in either place for $8.5 million per...haha

14 minutes ago, kaos said:

Dont read too much into it? He tells you the exact reason why he did what he did.  It was a business decision and he used Montreal as leverage in it.  At best you can say he would haven been happy to play equally in either place for $8.5 million per...haha

He has to play there for 5 seasons. Do you expect him to publicly state "I really didn't want to come back here. They are basically holding me hostage until I can get out in 5 years. Also, to the fans of Carolina... #### you."?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

He has to play there for 5 seasons. Do you expect him to publicly state "I really didn't want to come back here. They are basically holding me hostage until I can get out in 5 years. Also, to the fans of Carolina... #### you."?

No. I expect him to use Montreal to maximize the dollars in his pocket.  I have no reason to believe that he would have been happier in Montreal than in Carolina? I believe his agent did a fantastic job here and suckered Bergevin into the offer sheet.  

14 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Time to move on.. what happens next? A sheet or a trade for Laine? 

Marner too much.

Point doesn’t seem interested.

You wont see anymore offer sheets this offseason.  Especially not from Bergevin.

No reason for Winnepeg to trade Laine, what would Montreal offer anyways??

I'd think a trade for  Kyle Turris, Alex Killorn, Tyler Johnson, Kevin Labanc (RFA), TJ Brodie, Michael Frolik, Nick Leddy are more realistic options.  Maybe take on someone's cap dump.