Habs sign Sebastian Aho to offer sheet

dlbalr

14 minutes ago, kaos said:

No. I expect him to use Montreal to maximize the dollars in his pocket.  I have no reason to believe that he would have been happier in Montreal than in Carolina? I believe his agent did a fantastic job here and suckered Bergevin into the offer sheet.  

Aho wanted a five-year contract. Waddell wanted a seven-year contract. Bergevin wanted Aho in a Habs sweater.

Aho got what he wanted. Neither Waddell or Bergevin did. But I don't think either one of them got suckered, both were surely aware of the possible outcomes of their actions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, kaos said:

No. I expect him to use Montreal to maximize the dollars in his pocket.  I have no reason to believe that he would have been happier in Montreal than in Carolina? I believe his agent did a fantastic job here and suckered Bergevin into the offer sheet.  

Maybe Johannson will now do Bergevin a solid when Gallagher's contract comes up.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, kaos said:

Carolina matched. If anything, Aho's agent "suckered" Carolina's brass into signing a contract they would not have initially wanted. He didn't really sucker Montreal into doing anything they were uncomfortable with, whether Carolina matched or not. 

Aho signed a fair deal, one that many on here thought was too light an offer. How can we have it that we should have made a higher offer and also have the theory that Aho's agent "maximized the dollars in his pocket."?

Aho would have been happy in either place. He just wanted this deal done as soon as possible. There's nothing more complicated than that to this. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, kaos said:

Dont read too much into it? He tells you the exact reason why he did what he did. 

And what else could he say?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, kaos said:

I have no reason to believe that he would have been happier in Montreal than  

Based on? It seems the opposite, otherwise he would of done a Point and say NO, i am not signing an offer sheet, thanks but I am re-upping with Tampa.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, EMELINATOR said:

Maybe Johannson will now do Bergevin a solid when Gallagher's contract comes up.

Actually it's more likely to help with negotiations with Lehkonen and Armia who hold the same Finnish player agent as Aho....

19 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Does this make Bergevin look weak to the rest of the GM's? The way he got played?

I dont think it makes him look weak. Maybe naive or ignorant? Hes the 1st GM to get suckered by an agent to maximize another teams players (RFA) salary through the offer sheet system.

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Based on? It seems the opposite, otherwise he would of done a Point and say NO, i am not signing an offer sheet, thanks but I am re-upping with Tampa.

Tampa isnt trying to low ball Point.  As well Montreal has to drastically pay more for Point than Tampa to offset taxes.

27 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Does this make Bergevin look weak to the rest of the GM's? The way he got played?

I actually think some a are pretty happy with that offer sheet, GMs now have a practical contract they can point too when they negotiate with there own RFAs. 

Obviously Carolina isn’t too happy about it but oh well. 

43 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Is this the weak-ass narrative being peddled? Jesus christ.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Is this the weak-ass narrative being peddled? Jesus christ.

And really, have you seen his biceps???  No one thinks he's weak!:lol:

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I actually think some a are pretty happy with that offer sheet, GMs now have a practical contract they can point too when they negotiate with there own RFAs. 

Obviously Carolina isn’t too happy about it but oh well. 

I think there are very few GMs, inwardly, happy with that offer sheet.  Maybe Dubas with respect to Marner??

Every team attempts keep RFA contracts as low as possible due to them having less leverage.  Bergevin took away Carolina's leverage on Aho and now Carolina has to pay way more than it did before the offer sheet.

I believe it'll be years before you see the next offer sheet.  Or theyll be for marginal players...

1 hour ago, kaos said:

Dont read too much into it? He tells you the exact reason why he did what he did.  It was a business decision and he used Montreal as leverage in it.  At best you can say he would haven been happy to play equally in either place for $8.5 million per...haha

He cannot be traded for a year. 

What is he gonna say?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Bergevin got suckered?

Please explain to me what Bergevin lost?

It's not what Bergevin lost.  It's what 31 teams lost with regards to their RFA's...a bit of leverage....though I think everyone learned a lesson and you wont be seeing offer sheets anytime soon (free elite players)

13 minutes ago, kaos said:

It's not what Bergevin lost.  It's what 31 teams lost with regards to their RFA's...a bit of leverage....though I think everyone learned a lesson and you wont be seeing offer sheets anytime soon (free elite players)

I think its just the opposite.  I think we haven't seen an offer sheet in 6 years.  I doubt we wait 6 years for the next one. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He cannot be traded for a year. 

What is he gonna say?

He said everything you need to hear.  He had limited leverage.  His best shot was convincing Bergevin to offer sheet him

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think its just the opposite.  I think we haven't seen an offer sheet in 6 years.  I doubt we wait 6 years for the next one. 

I agree. We might see another one this month yet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kaos said:

He said everything you need to hear.  He had limited leverage.  His best shot was convincing Bergevin to offer sheet him

His PR team is spinning the situation.  If you want to believe that's 100% the truth and no PR spin... that's your choice.. but hey, I've got some great real estate in Brooklyn and Florida that I'd also like to sell you.  Also some great beachfront property in Arizona.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DON said:

Or, Aho was quite convinced Carolina would match, this he would stay there AND get his contract. If not, he was prepared to make the move to MTL

48 minutes ago, Commandant said:

His PR team is spinning the situation.  If you want to believe that's 100% the truth and no PR spin... that's your choice.. but hey, I've got some great real estate in Brooklyn and Florida that I'd also like to sell you.  Also some great beachfront property in Arizona.

I see you got suckered into buying said property.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Dont think so. It might make it more important for teams to consider signing their RFAs sooner or something like that?

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Or, Aho was quite convinced Carolina would match, this he would stay there AND get his contract. If not, he was prepared to make the move to MTL

Sure, but Point/agent are going different route and likely allowing Brisbois to work his contract into cap so works OK for both parties, unlike Oho who signed his contract that forced his team to match no options, even if doesnt jive with cap (term-signing bonus-early UFA).