CHIAROT signed

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm sure he's a solid #5 and will do good work for us.

The real problem is that the Habs need puck-moving LD, not stay-at-home LD who are lucky to crack 20 points. This is best framed as a modest upgrade on Benn, NOT as a solution to the structural hole on LD. The big chasm remains.

I think the chasm has shrunk compared to last year.  Chariot should fit in well with Petry and is an upgrade on Benn. Kulak and Mete both improved last year.  But there is still a huge void beside Weber. With nobody to slide right in there.  Hopefully Mete is practicing passing and shooting for 16 hours a day.

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

To be fair this isn’t one tenth as bad as the Alzner signing haha.

Alzner

5 years at $4.625m

Defensive defenceman

Credited for his size and toughness

Best days with a top four defenceman attached to his hip

Signed at 28

Chiarot

3 years at $3.5m

Defensive defenceman

Credited for size and toughness

Signed at 28

1 10th feels low.

See i believe Chariot will be slotted into the number 4 spot next to Petry. Allowing Petry to push the pace a little more and join the offence.

I believe he’s done now on the D side.

Mete Weber

Chariot Petry

Kulak Folin

Reilly Juulsen*

Leskonan

Brook

Fleury

That would be my depth chart

Gardinar does not want to sign here and i dont want him at 7 x 8million

13 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Alzner

5 years at $4.625m

Defensive defenceman

Signed at 28

Chiarot

3 years at $3.5m

Defensive defenceman

Signed at 28

1 10th feels low.

I'll concede the similarities, and I'm not super excited about an upgrade on Benn being our Big Summer Move, but: just because Alzner cratered doesn't mean Chiarot will.

18 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Alzner

5 years at $4.625m

Defensive defenceman

Signed at 28

Chiarot

3 years at $3.5m

Defensive defenceman

Signed at 28

1 10th feels low.

You identified issues with Alzner's hand being hurt and unable to have grip strength, plus being put on the third pair down the stretch and benched in the playoffs for washington.  There were warning signs there, and you saw them but the rest of us didn't. 

What are the warning signs here. 

- Played top 4 with Byfuglien down the stretch and into playoffs. 
- Scored a career high in points.  Showing off more of a shot than seen in previous years. 
- Can skate and keep up with the play way more than Alzner. 
- Passing and puck moving is suspect. His only offence comes off that shot. 

Is there something i'm missing?

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You identified issues with Alzner's hand being hurt and unable to have grip strength, plus being put on the third pair down the stretch and benched in the playoffs for washington.  There were warning signs there, and you saw them but the rest of us didn't. 

What are the warning signs here. 

- Played top 4 with Byfuglien down the stretch and into playoffs. 
- Scored a career high in points.  Showing off more of a shot than seen in previous years. 
- Can skate and keep up with the play way more than Alzner. 
- Passing and puck moving is suspect. His only offence comes off that shot. 

Is there something i'm missing?

Gonna agree here. This might actually be a savvy pick up. 

When watching the Jets, he isn’t a liability at all and in fact even though he didn’t have the name recognition of a Myers, buff or morrisey he quietly led them in hits and blocks played good minutes, can throw the body, protect his goalie and most importantly can skate the puck out of corners and make a first pass. He might be a good fit next to Petry. We will have to wait and see

im sure we would all love the Karlssons of the world (I surely did) but i dont want to over pay for Jake Gardiner at massive rate and long term

27 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Gardinar does not want to sign here and i dont want him at 7 x 8million

How do we know that (1) Gardiner doesn't want to sign with the Habs, and (2) wants 7 x $8M?

The reports I have seen say that we are in the running:

And I see nothing about seven years or $8M anywhere. On the contrary, Gardiner hasn't signed yet since no one has offered more than two years yet.

Let me rephrase i will take Gardiner for 2 years 6million. I dont want him for 6/7 years at 7/8 million. 

The point i was trying to emphasize with those numbers accurate or not was that he is not a tier 1 top nhl Dman in my opinion and thus i dont want to throw big money and term at him just to get him to A) sign here B) appease the fan base starving for another yearly blockbuster.

Im happy with building from within until someone truly worth there weight comes to us (e.g Erik Karlsson, Aho)

not the Duschene, Lee and Gardiners of the NHL no offence to any because they are good players just now over paid to to UFA status

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

How do we know that (1) Gardiner doesn't want to sign with the Habs, and (2) wants 7 x $8M?

The reports I have seen say that we are in the running:

And I see nothing about seven years or $8M anywhere. On the contrary, Gardiner hasn't signed yet since no one has offered more than two years yet.

i have no idea who that is. the tweeter. 

Winnipeg's D is in tatters. I'll be surprised if they don't throw everything and the kitchen sink at Gardiner.

As for me, I don't deny that Chiarot might prove a canny pick-up. Nothing wrong with an upgrade on Benn. It just doesn't meet the team's really glaring need, as per Bergevin's patented style of lateral moves and patch-ups.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He played top 4 minutes (5th on his team in average ice time, but Byfuglien missed 40 games, Morrisey another 23 games, Myere 2 games..... and he was the one filling in for them.  He proved he can play top 4 minutes and not hurt the team as the Jets were 1 point out of winning their division. 

He scored 5 goals. 

He got paid tweener money... he's a bottom tier guy if he's your 2nd pairing D, he's a top tier guy if he's amongst third pairing d men.  It depends where he's played. 

That said I get it, the off-season so far is underwhelming. 

That said the Habs went to September 10th last year before pulling off one of their biggest trades in years (and probably Bergevin's second biggest trade ever). So the offseason isn't over.

Habs Have 8 mill on capfriendly now (25 man roster, plus Armia/lehkonen to sign will make 27... hudon would make 28)

A little over 12.5 million, with Armia and Lehkonen to sign, and Weise, Alzner, Peca, and Lindgren to the minors (saves almost 4 million). Hudon likely traded. And if we acquire one more player, that means one more out (anoter million) to get roster to 23.

Armia gets 2.8 million Lehkonen 2.2 million? 

Thats being modest and the cap space slowly starts to evaporate. 

Edited by Habber31

Gardiner for a 5 year term or less at 7 million per year would be ok

36 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

Armia gets 2.8 million Lehkonen 2.2 million? 

Thats being modest and the cap space slowly starts to evaporate. 

Ok that's 5 million out of 12. 

There is still room for one aquisition, like I said. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

i have no idea who that is. the tweeter. 

Retired NHL scout for the Carolina Hurricanes ‘98-‘03 and Washington Capitals ‘04-‘09. Multiple trusted sources. OHL Media Credentials. Will tweet what I hear.

31 minutes ago, Metallica said:

No trade what you have to, to get gostisbehere.

That would be ideal, I think. But we don't know what the Flyers are demanding for him.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Winnipeg's D is in tatters. I'll be surprised if they don't throw everything and the kitchen sink at Gardiner.

As for me, I don't deny that Chiarot might prove a canny pick-up. Nothing wrong with an upgrade on Benn. It just doesn't meet the team's really glaring need, as per Bergevin's patented style of lateral moves and patch-ups.

This is exactly a patch up like you said and does not address our real need.

I hope he is not done

42 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That would be ideal, I think. But we don't know what the Flyers are demanding for him.

I would offer up a 1st, 2nd and Byron and a prospect. Dont care at this point i just want this management to show that they're going to try and make a  run in the playoffs for a cup. They haven't shown that since Bergevin made the trade for vanek at the deadline his first year here. 

33 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

They have 8 million in cap space. 

Once you factor in the savings from the players that will be sent to Laval, the cap space is much closer to what Commandant stated.

36 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

They have 8 million in cap space. 

I already explained this..... 

They have 25 players under contract on the roster... .when Armia and Lehkonen sign, that will go up to 27.  If Hudon signs it will go up to 28. 

23 is the max NHL roster.

Sending 4 players to the minors or out on trades (likely Alzner, Weise, Peca, Lindgren), will give them additional money (just under 4 million) that puts you at over 11.5
Hudon out gets your roster down to 23 (no cap savings here, cause he isn't signed, he's RFA)... so money in, money out... meh. 

Then you add someone to the roster.  You are now at 24 on the roster.  One more person has to leave to make room.  Assuming thats another demotion to the minors, its an additional 1 million in room.

Thus the Habs have over 12.5 million in cap space today that can be spent on Armia, Lehkonen, plus one new addition. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2