CHIAROT signed

I don't mind Chiarot but that contract seems like it's way too much.  I had him getting three years but at $2.25 million - I'm usually not that far off an AAV.  He's a #5 d-man and while he'll help, that's a stiff price to pay for someone that is ideally on the third pairing in a perfect world.

7 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Seems like a 2nd pair guy..

So is it..

Mete Weber

Chiarot Petry

Kulak Juulsen

Rielly?

I thought Edmundson would be the guy they would get to play with Petry. Chiarot has a bit better production but a bit less of possession  number (as per hockey-reference). I think that the Habs have improved their D from last year, if you also account for Weber starting the year healthy and Price having a better backup.

I see the CH protecting Mete and Weber and deciding on Petry (at 33 years old) or another top D they may sign from now until the expansion draft.

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I see the CH protecting Mete and Weber and deciding on Petry (at 33 years old) or another top D they may sign from now until the expansion draft.

They won't necessarily need to protect Petry in expansion.  He'll be a pending UFA at the time so he'd probably waive the NMC.  (If they sign him to an extension though, then yes, he'd be protected.)

As things stand, it'll probably be Weber plus two of Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Kulak, Chiarot, and Alzner.

I think that we overhype the expansion draft. 

Don't worry about it. 

Build the best team possible... protect your 7 + 3 + 1... and then lose one player and move on.

The teams that did this came out fine. 

The teams that tried to do trades to play around with the expansion draft... Florida, Columbus, Anaheim, they are the ones who lost the most. 

You lose your 12th best player (or 13th, 14th, 15th if you have good young players) ... so does everyone else. 

No need to set your roster a year in advance on this. 

Edited by Commandant
  • Upvote 2

I don't mind the Chiarot signing. He is hardly an  offensive dynamo but he is a solid and tough defensive defenceman. I would rather do this than sign Gardiner for 7 million on a long term contract. Perhaps Gardiner had no interest in coming to Montreal anyway at any price. I agree that he might be the ideal partner for Petry.  Hopefully Mete develops into a good partner for Weber. 

55 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think that we overhype the expansion draft. 

Don't worry about it. 

Build the best team possible... protect your 7 + 3 + 1... and then lose one player and move on.

The teams that did this came out fine. 

The teams that tried to do trades to play around with the expansion draft... Florida, Columbus, Anaheim, they are the ones who lost the most. 

You lose your 12th best player (or 13th, 14th, 15th if you have good young players) ... so does everyone else. 

No need to set your roster a year in advance on this. 

If you have four good defensemen, like Nashville did, then you're in trouble.

I don’t mind this signing, like others have said he should be a serviceable D man next to Petry.

The one hope I guess is for Mete to really take that next step in his development next year. I thought he got a lot better when he got called back up, he’s a smart player and one could hope his upside is something like Ryan Ellis.

Upgrade on Meat and Kulak and Benn and team is better with this guy i suppose. Dont recall ever hearing his name before.

Hopefully he is good on the PK.

Poach 2 bits of Marc Dumonts Athletic summary on Chiarot :

"As for his offensive impact, well, that probably won’t surprise you. Without Chiarot, the Jets were just below the league average, but with him, they took 15 percent fewer shots per hour, and the high-danger shots were almost non-existent."

"As for his work on the penalty kill, that’s probably where Chiarot brings the most value. He was one of the best penalty killers with the Jets, and his impact is impossible to ignore. The Jets went from a subpar team to a team that did a great job mitigating scoring chances."

3 hours ago, Neech said:

If you have four good defensemen, like Nashville did, then you're in trouble.

The you protect 4 and 4.

Build the best team you can.  Take your medicine and lose one player.

It is what it is.  Build the best roster you can and maybe 2 or 3 players you have are attractive... oh well... lose one keep the rest.

Dont go out and pass up opportunities to add players or trade guys away a year in advance just cause its coming.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

The you protect 4 and 4.

Build the best team you can.  Take your medicine and lose one player.

It is what it is.  Build the best roster you can and maybe 2 or 3 players you have are attractive... oh well... lose one keep the rest.

Dont go out and pass up opportunities to add players or trade guys away a year in advance just cause its coming.

I agree with your last sentence, but it would suck to lose your 5th best forward.  We were lucky in that we didn't have to expose anyone good.  Maybe Chiarot will be our best player exposed when the draft comes.

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I don't mind Chiarot but that contract seems like it's way too much.  I had him getting three years but at $2.25 million - I'm usually not that far off an AAV.  He's a #5 d-man and while he'll help, that's a stiff price to pay for someone that is ideally on the third pairing in a perfect world.

I guess we know that Bergy's still not listening to his stats guys.

I find it a bit funny when we come up with "a good first pass" as a quality for a dman.

Guys who don't make a good 1st pass are not NHL level players IMHO.

15 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I find it a bit funny when we come up with "a good first pass" as a quality for a dman.

There is good first pass for an NHL level player, and one who can do it in the AHL but not the NHL. 

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

I cannot remember well, but I think Tinordi or Georges were players that were not able to do a good first pass and tended to either chip out the puck or get hemmed in.

In todays NHL,  I believe that we should have on our roster a maximum of ZERO defenseman that doesn't have a good first pass.

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

In todays NHL,  I believe that we should have on our roster a maximum of ZERO defenseman that doesn't have a good first pass.

So if a d-man has 150mph slapshot that goalies cant stop and is great defensively (they are called defensemen for a reason), but exactly like Weber just doesn't have a good 1st pass, you don't want him.

32 minutes ago, DON said:

So if a d-man has 150mph slapshot that goalies cant stop and is great defensively (they are called defensemen for a reason), but exactly like Weber just doesn't have a good 1st pass, you don't want him.

Weber has a good 1st pass.  He rarely creates icings throwing the puck across the board.

There is no one in this league who is really great defensively while being useless in the possession of the puck, so yeah,  I don't want any more  Jordie Benn on our team.  Forever.

40 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Weber has a good 1st pass.  He rarely creates icings throwing the puck across the board.

There is no one in this league who is really great defensively while being useless in the possession of the puck, so yeah,  I don't want any more  Jordie Benn on our team.  Forever.

Douglas Murray was the worst. 

6 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

A good first pass is as much about the ability to pass accurately as it is to make the right decision with little to no risk of giving it up to the opposition when the responsibility of the first pass is yours to make throughout a game. A combination I think we can agree not all Dmen are consistently able to pull off around the league, some guys will drive offense but their first pass is a Russian roulette of outcomes throughout a game. Some guys will be hard on the puck, win their battles and chip it off the boards playing the whole game almost like its a PK, very rarely making a heads up play out of his zone. Some guys will go win their battles, and before they even reach their blue line, make a heads up play of passing the puck to a team mate with high efficiency and low risk. The latter category is where guys like Weber and Chariot fall into, they don't drive offense, but they are very efficient on their half of the ice, and their good first pass allows them to support a healthy transition game.

Defensive Dmen with a good first pass are an essential part of a balanced D corps in today's NHL, imo. If you mesh them with offense driving partners who can skate up and down the ice, what you get is a combination of forward support, very good transition, and lowered turn over totals while that duo is on the ice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

A good first pass is as much about the ability to pass accurately as it is to make the right decision with little to no risk of giving it up to the opposition when the responsibility of the first pass is yours to make throughout a game. A combination I think we can agree not all Dmen are consistently able to pull off around the league, some guys will drive offense but their first pass is a Russian roulette of outcomes throughout a game. Some guys will be hard on the puck, win their battles and chip it off the boards playing the whole game almost like its a PK, very rarely making a heads up play out of his zone. Some guys will go win their battles, and before they even reach their blue line, make a heads up play of passing the puck to a team mate with high efficiency and low risk. The latter category is where guys like Weber and Chariot fall into, they don't drive offense, but they are very efficient on their half of the ice, and their good first pass allows them to support a healthy transition game.

Defensive Dmen with a good first pass are an essential part of a balanced D corps in today's NHL, imo. If you mesh them with offense driving partners who can skate up and down the ice, what you get is a combination of forward support, very good transition, and lowered turn over totals while that duo is on the ice. 

Exactly what I'm saying.

Red = not today's NHL level players IMO

Blue = minimum required in today's NHL level

Better than blue  are the  Subban, Karlsson, Seth Jones, Klingberg, Letang, etc.

I don't want to see  red on our Def Squad anymore.  Not even our 7th dman.

We still don't have that elusive #1/#2 LD, but we now have an awful lot of LD in the system:

1. Mete
  2. Chiarot
  3. Kulak
  4. Reilly
  5. Leskinen
  6. Olofsson
  7. Ouellet
  8. Alzner

Certainly we have enough that we should be able to easily fill the third pairing even if Kulak or Reilly falters. But eight is a lot, will we play someone on the off wing, or should we expect to lose someone to waivers?