Habs sign Nick Cousins

Meller93

Yeah this reeks of "I need another bottom 6 forward because some of the players filling that role last season are on the way out".

No big deal, will probably make more sense when the other shoes drop later in the summer.

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

Never heard of him, AHL guy? 

Nhler for sure, nearly had 30 points last year. He’s also on a one way contract so he won’t be back and forth between Laval and MTL. He’ll be with the Habs

Cousins has played significant NHL games the past 3 years (12-13 minutes/gm, so I don't see AHL. 

Weal, Thompson, Cousins. All bottom line centers re-signed this offseason (although at over 13 minutes/game for Cousins that's more 3rd line than 4th). I know they all have buriable contracts, but still...for those saying it must mean a move is happening, what would the move be? Sure doesn't seem like Bergevin would trade players he just signed. 

So...

Drouin-Domi-Shaw

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Cousins-Weal-Byron

Thompson 13th, who slots in with Drouin-Domi? Sign Ferland? No idea where any youngsters will fit, or who they would displace. I know the offseason isn't over...

Saw him play a lot here in the Sault in junior. He’s very feisty and doesn’t quit on the forecheck. He wasn’t well liked by opponents and was targeted quite often.

I think he has some offensive upside on our fourth line.

I think Suzuki and Poehling will be given ample opportunity to make the team. 

I don't know much about suzuki, but poehling is also very good defensively,

If cousins is gritty and tough, he will find a spot, habs lost most of that with shaw, 

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's got some Shaw qualities with less offense. 

That said, I also expect another move coming with this. 

We say this always with these types of move's Bergevin make's , but nothing else ever follow's. So don't hold your breath on this being any different.

25 minutes ago, Metallica said:

We say this always with these types of move's Bergevin make's , but nothing else ever follow's. So don't hold your breath on this being any different.

I was going to say. Only a few days ago we all went breathless when Shaw was traded because it was "obviously" about "clearing cap space for a big move."

And instead:

:tumbleweed:

1 hour ago, huzer said:

So...

Drouin-Domi-Shaw

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Cousins-Weal-Byron

Thompson 13th, who slots in with Drouin-Domi? Sign Ferland? No idea where any youngsters will fit, or who they would displace. I know the offseason isn't over...

Byron with Drouin and Domi. 

I can see this move as being a "just in case move" they decide to walk away from the one of the arbitration rulings.  I can see the Habs not even bothering with Hudon and maybe even Armia (depending on how much he gets).  I think they want to keep Lehkonen. 

2 hours ago, ehjay said:

why is this signing making me think of the Knicks?

right!!! BOOOOOGIE!! :rofl:

done t follow NBA, don't get the reference?

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Ya, Sept 9 came and went last year with only Galchenyuk as big move and nothing followed that.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Chris said:

Armia was very good for the habs, he will be resigned and lehkonen as well. 

No doubt. I agree that they might let Hudon go, however. Julien seems decidedly unimpressed