2019 Training Camp

Trizzak

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

All 5 on waivers yesterday cleared and have been sent to Laval (who should be taking a run at the Calder Cup with this roster.)

As long as they and the Habs stay fully healthy, then they're a contender.  The depth (aside from in goal) isn't the greatest once a few people are hurt or recalled (always an issue with Bergevin at the helm as they ignore the ECHL level) but they'll be a lot better this season at the very least.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

As long as they and the Habs stay fully healthy, then they're a contender.  The depth (aside from in goal) isn't the greatest once a few people are hurt or recalled (always an issue with Bergevin at the helm as they ignore the ECHL level) but they'll be a lot better this season at the very least.

I don’t know that they have actually been ignoring the ECHL level, but there have not been many good options.

They appear to be having some active discussions about an ECHL affiliate for the 2020-2021 season in the new Colisée Trois-Rivières, which would be a great strategic choice, making moves between Laval and TR super convenient. Let’s hope this works out.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I don’t know that they have actually been ignoring the ECHL level, but there have not been many good options.

They appear to be having some active discussions about an ECHL affiliate for the 2020-2021 season in the new Colisée Trois-Rivières, which would be a great strategic choice, making moves between Laval and TR super convenient. Let’s hope this works out.

They all but abandoned Brampton to the point where the Beast gave them the boot as an affiliate a couple of years ago.  Instead of having quality depth down there the past few years, they've went with mediocre junior players and older guys that couldn't catch on as affiliated players with other teams, often having to try to pillage for players from other organizations midseason.  They also seem to be dead set against giving skater prospects signed to the Habs any sort of extended time down there as if it's beneath them.  So instead, guys like Pezzetta and Verbeek got to languish as frequent healthy scratches last season which does absolutely nothing for their development.  To be quite honest, I don't think their handling of the ECHL could get any worse over the last few years.

Yes, Trois-Rivieres is interesting but only if they actually decide to put forth an effort in running an affiliate.  If they just want the team to go sign a bunch of middling QMJHL players that caught Joel Bouchard's eye at some point, then there's not much point as it won't accomplish anything from an organizational development perspective.  But if they actually want to shuffle players back and forth and actually carry something resembling quality depth, that'd be great. 

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They all but abandoned Brampton to the point where the Beast gave them the boot as an affiliate a couple of years ago.  (...)

Yes, Trois-Rivieres is interesting but only if they actually decide to put forth an effort in running an affiliate.  (...)

That's what I want to see: a real commitment. They never had that in Brampton, and I don't know whether that was a lack of interest in the ECHL level, a poor relationship with the Beast ownership, the location of the team or something else.

The best way to show the commitment would be for Groupe CH to buy that franchise, or at least a significant portion of it, instead of just signing an agreement with someone else. Locations like TR (relative to Montreal) do not come along very often. And the cost of the ECHL franchise is tiny compared to the NHL (and even AHL) budgets.

Let's see what happens. I think the ECHL decision on the TR franchise will come before the end of the year.

Well preseason is over and my hope/ dream (although altered slightly) from Poehling for Suzuki has come to fruition. Suzuki has made this team with a statement throughout the preseason. In fact, he looked better in this preseason then any rookie in a very long while including KK last year.  Who would of thunk it... A rookie making the top 6 through Merit! Unfortunate for Poehling that injury derailed his camp as he was having an equally strong camp to start as well. 

For me moving forward... Poehling starts in Laval but is back up with MTL in short order.

Tatar Danault Gallagher

Drouin Suzuki Domi

Byron  KK  Lehkonan

Cousins Thompson  Armia

Weal

Chariot Weber

Kulak Petry

Mete Fleury*

Ouelett Follin

Price

Kincaid

Waived - Hudon*

sent down -  Poehling

*I'd be shocked to see Fleury go down just to keep Hudon from being lost to waivers. Fleury has looked very good

On 9/28/2019 at 10:05 AM, dlbalr said:

They all but abandoned Brampton to the point where the Beast gave them the boot as an affiliate a couple of years ago.  Instead of having quality depth down there the past few years, they've went with mediocre junior players and older guys that couldn't catch on as affiliated players with other teams, often having to try to pillage for players from other organizations midseason.  They also seem to be dead set against giving skater prospects signed to the Habs any sort of extended time down there as if it's beneath them.  So instead, guys like Pezzetta and Verbeek got to languish as frequent healthy scratches last season which does absolutely nothing for their development.  To be quite honest, I don't think their handling of the ECHL could get any worse over the last few years.

Yes, Trois-Rivieres is interesting but only if they actually decide to put forth an effort in running an affiliate.  If they just want the team to go sign a bunch of middling QMJHL players that caught Joel Bouchard's eye at some point, then there's not much point as it won't accomplish anything from an organizational development perspective.  But if they actually want to shuffle players back and forth and actually carry something resembling quality depth, that'd be great. 

I would definitely recommand the Habs to hire you to run their ECHL  like you did run your farm in HWL back in the days.  :D

• Like 1

Even though I had Suzuki making the team over a week back, I did have him pencil on the 3rd line. He has now shown us of a  deservedly spot on the top six. Here’s how i now see it and I’m intrigued or excited about all four lines on opening the season..

Tatar Danault Gallagher

Drouin Domi Suzuki

Lenkonan KK  Weal

Byron Thompson  Armia

Mete Weber

Chariot Petry

Kulak Fleury

Price

Kincaid

Extras... Cousins, Reilly, Follin

Armia and weal can swap between 3rd/4th line duties throughout  season 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

With Primeau getting lit up in his first preseason game, if Lindgren clears is it possible we see Lindgren/McNiven tandem again while Primeau goes to an ECHL team?

It's possible but they already have their ECHL goalie in LaCouvee and they don't have a solo affiliate where they could get away with sending two goalies down.  I think the likelier scenario would be that they carry three as they've done at times the past couple of years and then look around to see if injuries strike somewhere where they can loan one of Lindgren or McNiven to another AHL team.  Sending Primeau to the ECHL could happen if he struggles but I think they'll give him a chance with Laval first.

13 minutes ago, DON said:

WIth Hudon and Lindgren waived, who will be the last cut? Folin, Poehling, Thompson & Reilly i assume are options.

I think it will be Poehling. Any one of the other three, I think they would have announced waivers at the same time as Hudon and Lindgren.

Although I said previously that Poehling would make the the team if he played well in the last exhibition game, it might be prudent to give him some time in Laval given that he missed significant time in camp. 

I don’t think that they will waive Thompson at this point. I think Folin or Reilly are more likely candidates, if Poehling is not sent down, with Reilly being odd man out as his salary makes him less likely to be claimed than Folin 

7 hours ago, DON said:

WIth Hudon and Lindgren waived, who will be the last cut? Folin, Poehling, Thompson & Reilly i assume are options.

Poehling likely as he doesnt need waivers.

If it was one of the others i think they waive him

13 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

So what happens with McCarron now? 

He sits on Non-Roster IR until he is healthy.  The cap hit is calculated based on a number of factors but mostly how many days he spent in the NHL last year, so its relatively minimal for us. 

Once healthy, he will either need to be put on the Habs active roster (unlikely), or waived and sent to Laval (more likely), or traded (possible but unlikely). 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He sits on Non-Roster IR until he is healthy.  The cap hit is calculated based on a number of factors but mostly how many days he spent in the NHL last year, so its relatively minimal for us. 

Once healthy, he will either need to be put on the Habs active roster (unlikely), or waived and sent to Laval (more likely), or traded (possible but unlikely). 

Ok, thanks 

7 minutes ago, DON said:

I guess the worry about Hudon getting grabbed by another team was unfounded. Now will Hudon play great in AHL or not put in 100%.

Yeah...the thing is, every team seems to have guys like Hudon, "tweeners" who could viably eat up a roster spot but who have lost out in the numbers game. Every fan-base worries about losing those assets on waivers. But I'm not sure how well-founded the angst is. After all, why would GMs target your guy in particular, as opposed to the many dozens of analogous players available? Why Hudon and not, say, Nikolai Goldobin? You're probably more vulnerable to losing the asset once the season is underway and there is no longer a flood of marginal players on the waiver wire. At that point, a GM desperate to fill a slot due to injuries or whatever might be sorely tempted.

59 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

If I were these guys, I would live on 80 thou a year and sock away the rest. 

Sounds good, but you know if were getting large cheques, the vast majority of people in their 20s-30s would find it hard to stay on a small budget.