2019 Training Camp

Trizzak

16 hours ago, Chris said:

They are arguably the 5th best team in there division, 

Playoffs dont seem realistic, 

Shaw moving out will hurt this team, not enough size and sand paper in the lineup ( I know its the new nhl) 

You would take Shaw over Suzuki. Love Shaw's effort, but takes dumb penalties and being a small guy he has concussions from playing like he is larger and career could be shortened if he keeps it up.

Adding size and grit is more important than fixing the PP by adding skill?

Chariot was added for size and grit and PK work, but just seems overpaid to me.

Just now, DON said:

You would take Shaw over Suzuki. Love Shaw's effort, but takes dumb penalties and being a small guy he has concussions from playing like he is larger and career could be shortened if he keeps it up.

Chiarot, is going to catch heat this year. He's a big, strong dude, but his skating is less than admirable

Shaw had 3 weeks of bad penalties under MT,  other than that he has been very good hen healthy for the habs. I dont see it as a choice between suzuki or shaw.

Plenty of other players take lazy penalties on this team

The habs will miss his grit and his work in front of the net. 

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Shaw had 3 weeks of bad penalties under MT,  other than that he has been very good hen healthy for the habs. I dont see it as a choice between suzuki or shaw.

Sorry, still see as an upgrade, especially in long run.

And he only played 74% of games in his 3 years with Habs, best year was 68gms, not sure that is sign of healthy player.

13 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

2018-19 Montreal Canadiens Opening Day Roster:

Forwards
Joel Armia.         
Paul Byron
Phillip Danault
Max Domi
Jonathan Drouin
Brendan Gallagher
Charles Hudon____________>Weal 
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Artturi Lehkonen
Matthew Peca___________> Cousins
Tomas Plekanec________> Thompson
Nikita Scherbak_________> 
Andrew Shaw__________>Suzuki
Tomas Tatar

Defencemen
Karl Alzner_______>Chariot
Jordie Benn______>Weber
Noah Juulsen_____>Fleury
Victor Mete
Xavier Ouellet______>Kulak
Jeff Petry
Mike Reilly

_______>Folin

Goaltenders
Antti Niemi________>KingCaid
Carey Price

We are vastly improved......

😄  "Vastly improved."

Many of these "vast improvements" are players we added in the first half of last season. But the team still wasn't good enough in the second half. Yes, the team might be a little bit better than the second-half Habs of last season, and it's possible that those small improvements may concatenate into just enough to get us over the playoff bar. That we can't say this is with confidence is what makes us a bubble team.

What would be a "vast improvement" is vaulting into the ranks of the Tampas and the Torontos.

Theoretically, this *could* happen. Koko could erupt into a 70-point C, Suzuki could emerge as a 60-point rookie like Pettersson was, Mete could take a huge leap forward, etc..  But smart planning isn't predicated on everything going as well as it could possibly go. Barring some crazy Cinderella scenario, then, the Habs will be on the bubble. Hardly a vast improvement.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Habs are too soft, i would gladly take shaw any day. 

We cana gree to sisagree

I like Shaw but as much as I’m rarely one to comment on players being over the hill (I love proven veterans), there’s the argument to be made that his style of play won’t last much longer. Concussions have taken a toll on him and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him play 50-60 games this year. I’d like Shaw on our team this year as well but this could have been a situation where it was actually decent asset management to trade him at this specific juncture in his career. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

😄  "Vastly improved."

Many of these "vast improvements" are players we added in the first half of last season. But the team still wasn't good enough in the second half. Yes, the team might be a little bit better than the second-half Habs of last season, and it's possible that those small improvements may concatenate into just enough to get us over the playoff bar. That we can't say this is with confidence is what makes us a bubble team.

What would be a "vast improvement" is vaulting into the ranks of the Tampas and the Torontos.

Theoretically, this *could* happen. Koko could erupt into a 70-point C, Suzuki could emerge as a 60-point rookie like Pettersson was, Mete could take a huge leap forward, etc..  But smart planning isn't predicated on everything going as well as it could possibly go. Barring some crazy Cinderella scenario, then, the Habs will be on the bubble. Hardly a vast improvement.

The Shaw trade happened because Bergevin was trying to clear cap for a trade. Shaw was a big part of that dressing room; I don't think the idea was to trade him, because of injury woes. 

3 hours ago, DON said:

It can be argued that Shaw would do more for the Habs this season than Suzuki will, but for the team's better future it's good to play the rookies now.

Habs got within 3 points of the playoffs on the backs of ~10 players having career years, so a step back this season is not unthinkable. In the Atlantic the Habs could finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not convinced that the Leafs will be that far ahead of us this season. They lost a bunch of players in order to sign the big-money contracts and still stay under the cap. We shall see what happens.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I like Shaw but as much as I’m rarely one to comment on players being over the hill (I love proven veterans), there’s the argument to be made that his style of play won’t last much longer. Concussions have taken a toll on him and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him play 50-60 games this year. I’d like Shaw on our team this year as well but this could have been a situation where it was actually decent asset management to trade him at this specific juncture in his career. 

Totally agree with this comment. I really liked Shaw but I think he will be a depreciating asset from here on in. MB traded him while his market value was at a peak, good long term move in my opinion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm not convinced that the Leafs will be that far ahead of us this season. They lost a bunch of players in order to sign the big-money contracts and still stay under the cap. We shall see what happens.

They have 3 guys in their top 6 (Tavares, Marner, Matthews) better than any forward we have on our roster.  They have added a legit PP quarterback in Barrie.  Do not kid yourself, they are going to be good...their PP is going to win them a lot of games.

14 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

They have 3 guys in their top 6 (Tavares, Marner, Matthews) better than any forward we have on our roster.  They have added a legit PP quarterback in Barrie.  Do not kid yourself, they are going to be good...their PP is going to win them a lot of games.

No question the Leafs will be very good this year. A lot more pressure on the Leafs to win this year as Ceci, Muzzin and Barrie are all UFA's after this year.  Plus Babcock will be feeling the heat to win this year.  At some point you have to make it past the first round. 

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

They indeed have elite forwards. But their depth is nowhere. And even with their elite forwards, they finished only a few points ahead of us last year.

I am not predicting that we are going to finish ahead of them. But I'm personally skeptical of just how good they will actually be. I may well be proven wrong (it has happened before, too) but currently I am not convinced.

19 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

2018-19 Montreal Canadiens Opening Day Roster:

Forwards
Joel Armia.         
Paul Byron
Phillip Danault
Max Domi
Jonathan Drouin
Brendan Gallagher
Charles Hudon____________>Weal 
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Artturi Lehkonen
Matthew Peca___________> Cousins
Tomas Plekanec________> Thompson
Nikita Scherbak_________> 
Andrew Shaw__________>Suzuki
Tomas Tatar

Defencemen
Karl Alzner_______>Chariot
Jordie Benn______>Weber
Noah Juulsen_____>Fleury
Victor Mete
Xavier Ouellet______>Kulak
Jeff Petry
Mike Reilly

_______>Folin

Goaltenders
Antti Niemi________>KingCaid
Carey Price

We are vastly improved......

What a joke that this post would get a down vote.... 

Posting our 23 man roster to start last season with the changes made to the team to start this season gets a down vote....

what a freakin joke!!

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

😄  "Vastly improved."

Spin it however you like... But,

Kincaid for Niemi alone would  constitute a "vast improvement" to this team alone! Forget the fact that 8 players that were on the opening night roster LY currently do not ply their trade in the NHL on any team!

6 hours ago, Chris said:

Habs are too soft, i would gladly take shaw any day. 

We cana gree to sisagree

This team is not overly gritty, I grant you that, but will take more skill anyday. Habs need at least 1 friggin All Star forward much more (zero since 2010) than a Shaw or like player.

But I will leave it at that and just my opinion.

(now watch Shaw go out and get 30g for the Hawks.)

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Last year;

Leafs 100pts

Habs 96 pts

Too bad Habs are such a worse team than the Leafs. Maybe someday down the road they will be able to compete with them.

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Last year;

Leafs 100pts

Habs 96 pts

Too bad Habs are such a worse team than the Leafs. Maybe someday down the road they will be able to compete with them.

I'm one of the ones that mentioned Toronto staying ahead in our postseason predictions piece so I'll jump in here.  There will come a time where the Habs can get them and it's sooner than later - I just don't think it's this season.  I expect Nylander will rebound while guys like Marner and Matthews may still have another gear and their extra gear is probably better than what the extra gear for some of Montreal's youngsters may be.  I have them no higher than third in the division and you could convince me that they're a Wild Card team when all is said and done but unfortunately, I don't see the Habs jumping over them this season.  (I'd love to be proven wrong on this...)  When Toronto loses a big chunk of that defence next season, that's when they should start to be a bit more vulnerable.  That makes this a must-win season for them and I expect they'll act aggressively as a result which should keep them ahead of the Habs.

32 minutes ago, DON said:

Last year;

Leafs 100pts

Habs 96 pts

So, Kyle Dubas calls you up and offers to trade his entire team for yours. You're telling me you wouldn't take him up on it? Please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

What a joke that this post would get a down vote.... 

Posting our 23 man roster to start last season with the changes made to the team to start this season gets a down vote....

what a freakin joke!!

In fairness

.. it got 3 ups (one of which is mine) and one down.

That said.  The votes mean nothing, they arent worth getting worked up over.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So, Kyle Dubas calls you up and offers to trade his entire team for yours. You're telling me you wouldn't take him up on it? Please.

Do we get to keep our prospects? :D

16 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Barrie wont be on their first pp unit.  They use 4 forwards and Rielly.

Their PP was not really as good as one would expect last year.  It wasnt close to the top pps in the league.

Good team obviously and i think they will be 100 plus points and i dont see us passing them this year... but their pp isnt what wins them lots of games.

14 hours ago, DON said:

Last year;

Leafs 100pts

Habs 96 pts

This has nothing to do with how either team will do this year, or even which team is better and by how much.

BUT:  The difference between the two clubs last year was ONE head to head matchup.  If the Habs beat the Leafs, in regulation, in just one of the games they lost to them in regulation last season - both end up tied with 98 points.  I know, it is easy to go back and look at any game all season or a ton of different factors - but one more win by the Habs coupled with one more regulation loss by the Leafs and the teams wind up tied for points.

Of course, there is ONE game against St. Louis that I bet the Bruins would have liked to win...

EDIT:  I had to go look it up.

The Habs and Leafs played 4 times last year.  Habs one once in a shootout.  Lost twice in overtime.  And lost once - 6-3 on Feb. 23, and the Habs actually led 3-0 at the end of the first.  The Leafs scored 2 empty netters to make it 6-3.  The difference was THAT close!  Leafs scored the winner with 1:50 to go in the third.

• Upvote 1