Sept. 18, Panthers vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

The Habs and Panthers kick off a back-to-back set with a stop in New Brunswick for the Hockeyville game.

New-Jersey.jpg

EEwl5MmXUAEUuAQ.jpg

Montreal.jpg

Tatar - Danault - Drouin
Hudon - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Cousins - Poehling - Barber
Peca - Vejdemo - Belzile

Evans

Chiarot - Petry
Reilly - Folin
Leskinen - Fleury

Lamarche

Lindgren

McNiven

Puck drop is at 7 PM on Sportsnet One (national) and TVA Sports.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Florida sent a reasonable roster for this one:

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
Hoffman - Borgstrom - Malgin
Hunt - Toninato - Tippett
Roy - Abols - Thompson

Matheson - Ekblad
Stillman - Pysyk
Cross - Schemitsch

Good, I always think the Hokeyville towns especially deserve to see some legit NHLers, even if they won't get to see a legit NHL game. It's the least teams can do.

That won't be going down as one of the more entertaining periods of the preseason, that's for sure.  Nice job by the fourth line on the goal (and Leskinen who made a good pass to start the play).  And that's about it for the positives...

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Evans and Fleury are good examples of what happens when you put decent prospects with a good coach like Bouchard for a year. 

I wouldn't mind them making the team and Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, getting that year with Bouchard.

That is an excellent point. Hiring Bouchard might have been the most crucial move of this “re-set”.

• Upvote 2

The minor leaguers/prospects largely had good games.  Evans was solid and Barber impressed as well after a quiet first one.  Belzile earned himself another look as well while Leskinen and Fleury were good on the back end.  (I thought they outperformed Reilly and Folin, to be honest.)

hudon was the big disappointment of the night. I know its one game but this guy has no chance of making this team. We are to deep! haha

He's on life support with MTL

The top 2 lines were no shows. Especially Drouin, Danault, and Tatar.

Belzile, Barber, Evans definitely earned another look even if they are Laval bound in the end.

Poehling looked real good all over the ice I thought. More specifically in his own end... back checking, killing penalties etc which surely has CJ all smiles

IMO,  Poehling will be very hard to send down when training camp ends.

Should we consider moving a RD  to make room for Fleury ?  Cuz he's surely opening the conversation for himself after these 2 games.

11 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Good to see: Poehling looking really good

Wish I never had to see again:  Hudon...why is he still hanging around at this point?

I would love to see Bergevin wield some of his  bargin basement magic to turn Hudon into Honka or, failing that, a seventh round pick 😎

43 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

Poehling is hard on every puck. That kid could be a beast, sooner than we anticipated. 

I get it's preseason and guys are just getting their feet wet, but Drouin made a few passes last night that were reminiscent of last year.... I have doubts fellas. 

I get that Poehling stands to be a very effective two-way FW. But people seem to be seeing him as an offensive star in the making - yet he's never neen that at any level, right? Once we get past the usual breathless excitement at a kid playing well , what's a realistic projection? A strong top-9 FW who can sometimes gust into the top-6? 

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I get that Poehling stands to be a very effective two-way FW. But people seem to be seeing him as an offensive star in the making - yet he's never neen that at any level, right? Once we get past the usual breathless excitement at a kid playing well , what's a realistic projection? A strong top-9 FW who can sometimes gust into the top-6? 

Anything less than 246 goals is a bust. Ha.

Realistically, your projection seems to mesh with what the expectation has been of Poehling. He did have a great WJC showing though, so it's nice to see him be dominant against peers.

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We doing this again?

I cant find a single post suggesting this guy will be an offensive star from anyone... 

What he was however (at least yesterday) was "arguably" the best skater for both teams... which turns out to be a great follow up to his first pro game (last year's final game of the season vs Leafs)

This is all we can ask of the 200LB / 20yr old.

If he continues to play like he did last night, CJ and MB might have there hand forced as it was with KK. As he will "merit" a spot on this roster.

It was disappointing to see him lose the draw to Barkov in the final moments of the game but nice to see CJ deploy him rather then  Danault to preserve the lead. HE NEEDS TO consistently be good at the draw to have a real chance in a top 4 Center role.

Very interested to see Suzuki's performance tonight given better linemates.

He had more goals than Drouin down the playoff stretch last year in the last 15 games and her only played once. 

He can be a 20-40 player who can play in all 3 zones, the pp and pk, he a a Bergeron type of player

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If he could become anything remotely close to Wheeler, we may fondly get that bobby smith type centre.  It took a number of years to become an elite player though.

Wheeler has back-to-back seasons with 91 points. 

Poehling had 8 goals and 31 points in 36 games as the top line centre, in his third year of college, on the top team in the nation (regular season). 

I'm guessing he's not going to be anything close to Wheeler. 

He could be a good 2nd or 3rd line centre. 

If he becomes another Danault (in time, not this year), being able to score 45-55 points and play against the other team's best players, we should be ecstatic. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Wheeler has back-to-back seasons with 91 points. 

Poehling had 8 goals and 31 points in 36 games as the top line centre, in his third year of college, on the top team in the nation (regular season). 

I'm guessing he's not going to be anything close to Wheeler. 

He could be a good 2nd or 3rd line centre. 

If he becomes another Danault (in time, not this year), being able to score 45-55 points and play against the other team's best players, we should be ecstatic. 

Wheeler wasn’t a ppg player and get 90 points until after around 10 seasons. Playing with Scheifele didn’t hurt either.

poehling looked good at the world juniors. He has decent size and speed and showed he can dangle.  So, who knows if he can be better than Danault after 4 or 5 seasons.