Sept. 23, Toronto vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

10 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

I was about to say, is Drouin even playing 

is Domi? what about Chiarot? Petry?

Its pre-season and the veterans are taking it easy.... why single out Drouin when this is true for 75% of NHL veterans all preseason long. 

This is what i talked about last week with Poehling... the expectations for Drouin were so high, that he's become a 53 point guy instead of a PPG player player last season, so now the fans want to run a useful, if imperfect player out of town cause he doesn't hit the expectations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Get back to me on Drouin after 15 games, it will be the same thing. 

I agree about pre season and vets, Drouin is just extra lazy, 

And he'll still put up over 50 points despite being "lazy" in your eyes. 

I'll take a lazy drouin over the hard working Mathieu Darche types every day of the week.... but sure, we'll run him out of town cause he doesn't look like he's working hard. 

Last off season I predicted Domi would have more points than Pacs and Tatar would have more points than Galchenyuk...

This year.. Drouin leads the Canadians in points and finished top 20 in the NHL.

Book. It.

43 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Sure glad I didn't have tickets for this one in my package.

Would have been a shame to attend or, worse, sell them to a friend.

Agreed, I turned the game off during the second to go claw my eyes out, which was far less painful

11 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Last off season I predicted Domi would have more points than Pacs and Tatar would have more points than Galchenyuk...

This year.. Drouin leads the Canadians in points and finished top 20 in the NHL.

Book. It.

Your hangover this morning must be awful...you have my sympathy.

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

is Domi? what about Chiarot? Petry?

Its pre-season and the veterans are taking it easy.... why single out Drouin when this is true for 75% of NHL veterans all preseason long. 

This is what i talked about last week with Poehling... the expectations for Drouin were so high, that he's become a 53 point guy instead of a PPG player player last season, so now the fans want to run a useful, if imperfect player out of town cause he doesn't hit the expectations.

If he can hit 60-ish points while cast in the right role (2nd line) and cut down on the turnovers, I think most reasonable fans should be content.

19 hours ago, sbhatt said:

If he can hit 60-ish points while cast in the right role (2nd line) and cut down on the turnovers, I think most reasonable fans should be content.

He was on pace for over 60 points for most of last season until the bad stretch at the end... there were still people who wanted him off the team at that point.

Again, the expectations are so high that unless hes putting up 70+ there are going to be critiques and attempts to run him out of town. A section of This fanbase refuses to accept a useful player if hes imperfect and does not conform to exactly the idea of what they think he should be rather than accepting who he is

1 hour ago, DON said:

It would be;

Yah, he scores, but is streaky and when isnt scoring he is useless.

Lets get rid of him and use a Mathieu Darche-type in his place.

He scores... but who actually needs players like that.  Its not like scoring is that important to winning games.

Lets get a bunch of grinders who will work hard and do a bunch of little things right but never score.

These types of guys are consistent and not streaky at all.  Consistently they dont score.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Lets get rid of him and use a Mathieu Darche-type in his place.

He scores... but who actually needs players like that.  Its not like scoring is that important to winning games.

Lets get a bunch of grinders who will work hard and do a bunch of little things right but never score.

These types of guys are consistent and not streaky at all.  Consistently they dont score.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that Drouin was traded for a top 4, LEFT HANDED, blue chip prospect. That's why he's held to a higher standard. 

A mobile, lefty D is what this team is desperately in need of. 

Drouin was solid to start last season, but when it hit crunch time, Drouin "played dead" , with 6 goals(16 points) in the final 30 games... Drouin struggled at five-on-five quite a bit last season. His points per hour rate of 1.85 was the second-lowest among Canadiens forwards with at least 500 minutes.

I could post facts for days on here, yet you'd still shit on my posts, to defend your point. 

29 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

You seem to be forgetting the fact that Drouin was traded for a top 4, LEFT HANDED, blue chip prospect. Is history and has zero to do with realistic expectations for his offense.

He has 194pts in 322gms, 49pts/82gms

A mobile, lefty D is what this team is desperately in need of. And again this has little to nothing to do with Drouins offense or inconsistent play?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

You seem to be forgetting the fact that Drouin was traded for a top 4, LEFT HANDED, blue chip prospect. That's why he's held to a higher standard. 

A mobile, lefty D is what this team is desperately in need of. 

Drouin was solid to start last season, but when it hit crunch time, Drouin "played dead" , with 6 goals(16 points) in the final 30 games... Drouin struggled at five-on-five quite a bit last season. His points per hour rate of 1.85 was the second-lowest among Canadiens forwards with at least 500 minutes.

I could post facts for days on here, yet you'd still shit on my posts, to defend your point. 

I'm not forgetting anything.

I just recognize that what is done is done, and that no one has a time machine to change that trade. 

I'm looking at the way forward, not the past... the fact is that the Habs are a better team with him, then they are by replacing him with a grinder. 

Even if the trade to acquire him is a bust (and that remains to be seen as Sergachev didn't have the best season last year either), but even if thats true, that doesn't mean the team should compound the problem by running Drouin out of town cause it looks like he's not trying. 

As for the critiques... they were here (and elsewhere) well before those final 30 games.  They were coming when he was playing well... and when his P/60 at 5v5 was much higher.  So again, i'm not buying that these critiques are all about the last two months of the season. 

Heck this all started cause it looked like he was floating in a preseason game.   A PRE_SEASON GAME... and he's raked over the coals for that while other vets throughout the league don't get it. 

Drouin is already the scapegoat for this team... the season hasn't even started, and a huge portion of the fanbase has already made up their minds on Drouin.  I doubt that is going to change no matter what he does. 

If we can flip Drouin for a young, legit top-4 or (especially) top-2 LD, then we should definitely do it. The trade was a mistake, not because Drouin is a dog, but because of the positions of the players involved. We could have found ourselves a decent top-6 W much more easily than we have been able to acquire a top-4 LD. The trade has created a fundamental organizational hole which needs to be filled, and if it ironically takes trading Drouin himself to do so, then so be it.

Let’s take a look at some career points per game analysis I conducted when it comes to 3rd overall picks (forwards) from recent years. I omitted Erik Gudbranson and Miro Heiskanen who were also 3rd overall picks but are densemen.

2016 Pierre Luc Dubois 0.66 ppg

2015 Dylan Strome 0.63 ppg

2014 Leon Draisaitl 0.89 ppg

2013 Jonathan Drouin 0.60 ppg 0.63 with Habs

2012 Alex Galchenyuk 0.60 ppg

2011 Jonathan Huberdeau 0.76 ppg

2009 Matt Duchene 0.75 ppg

I like Drouin. I think there’s a chance he’ll put up some decent numbers this year. With the Habs, he has produced at a 0.63 ppg rate which are right along with his career averages . Drouin should at a minimum produce 50 points (82 games x 0.6 average. This should be our reasonable expectation. The downside is when he is compared with some other 3rd overall picks. If we want to compare him to other 3rd overall picks, 0.60 ppg is the low end of the spectrum when it comes to expectations amongst the class. As of now, we have another Alex Galchenyuk or Dylan Strome but no Matt Duchene, Jonathan Huberdeau, and certainly no Leon Draisaitl.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If we can flip Drouin for a young, legit top-4 or (especially) top-2 LD, then we should definitely do it. The trade was a mistake, not because Drouin is a dog, but because of the positions of the players involved. We could have found ourselves a decent top-6 W much more easily than we have been able to acquire a top-4 LD. The trade has created a fundamental organizational hole which needs to be filled, and if it ironically takes trading Drouin himself to do so, then so be it.

Sure, I agree with that. 

If you can move Drouin for a more valuable piece, of course you do it. 

My issue is with this idea that he needs to be run out of town, which is what I'm seeing from large swaths of Habs fans right now, (not just on this site, on twitter and elsewhere too).

There seems to be a massive underrating of him, and the idea is to get rid of him just to get rid of him

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Sure, I agree with that. 

If you can move Drouin for a more valuable piece, of course you do it. 

My issue is with this idea that he needs to be run out of town, which is what I'm seeing from large swaths of Habs fans right now, (not just on this site, on twitter and elsewhere too).

There seems to be a massive underrating of him, and the idea is to get rid of him just to get rid of him

Yeah, I quite agree with you. The whole idea of "addition by subtraction" is one I have been opposing for years (I opposed it for Ribeiro and Grabovski, and I still oppose it today) and "getting rid" of a guy because he is a disappointment relative to expectations is dumb. The aim should be to intelligently manage assets so as to ice the best possible team. I'm a bit of a Drouin skeptic, but he is a legitimate, if flawed, young top-6 FW. You trade him if it makes the team better, and for no other reason.

• Upvote 1