MORE ACTION!!!

alexstream

ummm...I am not certain simonus that Bonk might not end up being used playing the wing on the first line with Koibu + UFA agent.

Bonk as far as I know as had some experiences at that position in Ottawa.

I recall reading BG saying that Bonk should deserve more ice time than to play on the third line...without being specific about how to acheive it.

I personelly see more Zednick making room for him on the first line and joining Ribeiro and Ryder for an exiting second line than Ribeiro moving up the third line.

Higgins and Plecanek are original center althought they play any position as well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by PB

ummm...I am not certain simonus that Bonk might not end up being used playing the wing on the first line with Koibu + UFA agent.

Bonk as far as I know as had some experiences at that position in Ottawa.

I recall reading BG saying that Bonk should deserve more ice time than to play on the third line...without being specific about how to acheive it.

I personelly see more Zednick making room for him on the first line and joining Ribeiro and Ryder for an exiting second line than Ribeiro moving up the third line.  

Higgins and Plecanek are original center althought they play any position as well.

I love Zed... but he's like Savage.. you split him from K and he's worthless... Zed is on Saku's wing or ... you trade him.

Originally posted by PB

Like ''Leafs Suck'' I always liked Turgeon,.. whats not to like of a player that has translated on the ice throughout is carrer the very reason why he was the first pick overall some 17 years ago. Luring him to play in Montreal is not unrealistic since he is from Rouyn and will most likely live here after retiring,...just after being boughtout from Dallas he could play here for dirt cheap as well.

He could be used as a short term solution on the third line if BG felt Chipchura not ready but not, as LS suggested, used to replace Ribeiro on its way to Anahein with our soon to be obtain fifth pick prospect (Brule, Kopitar or Ryan) for prospect Johnson.

Young Ribeiro is just to brilliant offensively and pure candy, not just for fans but for any gifted wingers lucky enough to have him as center. It would take alot in return for me to accept the lost of this unique one of a time player,... any team would like its second line to be centered by a gifted hometowner of its genre...specially here in Montreal and specially in a time when hoocking and grabing is on the decline.  

Ribeiro is ''edge of your seat material'' and Brule, Kopita or Ryan might just be first line material in their own wright,.. which then for me anyhow would be way out of proportion to use them to get Johnson.

Turgeon tried the Habs and asked to be traded. He couldn't handle the pressure here. I seriously doubt he will be back.

Ribs needs to go IMO. He is not a champion. His character sucks......even if his talent is decent. It is more than the dive of last playoffs, it is the way he has handled himself overall.

I'm sure many will disagree but Ribs is not a guy we want.

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

Turgeon tried the Habs and asked to be traded. He couldn't handle the pressure here. I seriously doubt he will be back.

Ribs needs to go IMO. He is not a champion. His character sucks......even if his talent is decent. It is more than the dive of last playoffs, it is the way he has handled himself overall.

:o:o Check your sources and fire them!!!

Tremblay didn't like him because he wasn't good enough defensively and Houle wanted to make room for Koivu... Turgeon was in SHOCK when he learned that he was traded...

However do I want him back? No, not at all, we have enough defensive liability and softness in the person of Ribeiro already...

I like Zednick, specially its speed but always thought of him as a temporary solution at best for being included on the first line and the consequent added playtime and privilege appearence this line get during power play.

Since Perezhogin is not on the second line yet, I see Zednick as the best the CH as to offer Ryder and Ribeiro on the second line.

Zednick as we know can go streches without putting up points so judging him as incompatible with a specific center might could easily be premature.

Originally posted by alexstream

:o:o Check your sources and fire them!!!

Tremblay didn't like him because he wasn't good enough defensively and Houle wanted to make room for Koivu... Turgeon was in SHOCK when he learned that he was traded...

However do I want him back? No, not at all, we have enough defensive liability and softness in the person of Ribeiro already...

Really?

I remember the media reporting that Turgeon wanted no part of the Montreal media frenzy.

I don't know.......

Ribs is a problem though. Especially if teamed with Dags, awesome shot but that's all.

I remember the media reporting that Turgeon wanted no part of the Montreal media frenzy.

I don't know.......

Ribs is a problem though. Especially if teamed with Dags, awesome shot but that's all.

Oh well yeah, he's a shy guy and didn't like to be harassed after a bad game... no captain material... but really a die hard habs.

Ribs and Dags :lol:

A Chance that CJ is one of the smartest coach in the league! He actually made them look like a legitimate 2nd line...

Originally posted by alexstream

I don't know.......

Oh well yeah, he's a shy guy and didn't like to be harassed after a bad game... no captain material... but really a die hard habs.

Ribs and Dags :lol:

A Chance that CJ is one of the smartest coach in the league! He actually made them look like a legitimate 2nd line...

That is funny!

The Habs did pass them off as a solid second line.

Wow, are we in for a pleasant surprise.

PMK your disliking of RIb is obvious but it has nothing to do with the goods this young player was able to bring to the team last season in his first full year with the CH. The stats speak for themselves and the surprised CH season of that year was in a good part du to the constance and display of its talents which as to be more than just ''decent''.

Originally posted by PB

PMK your disliking of RIb is obvious but it has nothing to do with the goods this young player was able to bring to the team last  season in his first full year with the CH. The stats speak for themselves and the surprised CH season of that year was in a good part du to the constance and display of its talents which as to be more than just ''decent''.

I''ll buy that to a point.

Ribs has some skill, no question about it. He can score and he can set up plays.

If you think about the characteristics of the great players in the NHL how many of them come to mind when you then think of Ribs.

Trade him while he still has value.

that is my opinion

i like ribs to some degree, but i dont necisarily see him as a cup-level 2nd line center.... he is a good average team 2nd liner... i could very well be proven wrong if the game opens up.

Originally posted by simonus

i like ribs to some degree, but i dont necisarily see him as a cup-level 2nd line center....  he is a good average team 2nd liner... i could very well be proven wrong if the game opens up.

Wow... I just printed this out and posted on my wall... exactly what I think, but never been able to express it so concisely :/)

Originally posted by simonus

i like ribs to some degree, but i dont necisarily see him as a cup-level 2nd line center.... he is a good average team 2nd liner... i could very well be proven wrong if the game opens up.

The new rules could help him out alot. If the game is more open and the refs truely call proper obstruction Ribs might explode.

Perhaps he was just young (I'm talking about his character). We will see very soon and I can't wait.

:ghg:

I read on TSN.ca that the Islanders will not buy out Yashin's contract. That means that they'll be paying him a measly 7.6 million per year.

Darn! And I was so hoping that Montreal could get a shot at him. Think of it... last season, 15 goals in 47 games (potentially about 28 goals in 82 games). That means about $357,142.85 per goal. So, with a 24% cut-back, it'll only be $271,428.56 per goal now - a savings of $85,714.29 per goal! That falls into the same category as A-Rod for bucks per hit.

Crud, I don't make that much after 30 years of teaching! On the other hand though, I love what I do. God IS good!

Originally posted by shortcat1

I read on TSN.ca that the Islanders will not buy out Yashin's contract. That means that they'll be paying him a measly 7.6 million per year.

Darn! And I was so hoping that Montreal could get a shot at him. Think of it... last season, 15 goals in 47 games (potentially about 28 goals in 82 games). That means about $357,142.85 per goal. So, with a 24% cut-back, it'll only be $271,428.56 per goal now - a savings of $85,714.29 per goal! That falls into the same category as A-Rod for bucks per hit.

Dags had 17 goals in 50 games.

And even if he figures out how to shoot the puck out of his ass and score every time, he still won't be paid the league maximum.

No Yashin in a Habs uniform.

I trust that you recognized that I'm being sarcastic about wanting to have Yashin in a Canadiens uniform.

Dagenais' 17 goals is nothing to cheer about but we do accept beforehand that he's not recognized as being of the same talent level as Yashin. He was used only sporadically, really, not near as a consistent 1st line player. Also, Dagenais' $550,000 salary is not in the same level as Yashin's so, at about 30,000 per goal, he's relatively cheap.

By the way, I have no problem with Dagenais being on 'my' team. He was a 25-30 goal scorer in the 'old' system which was supposed to be defensively oriented. In the 'new' system which is supposed to be offensively oriented (à la QMJHL?), he should be quite an asset.

At worst, he's a very good 'bang for the buck'.

i wonder at his increased value in the new nhl. He's not a finesse player, he's not a fast player, many would argue he's not a particularly skilled player. 80% of his game is that he has a good shot. Which is fine.... again not particularly cup-caliber, but fine. His only true advantage under the new system is that defenders will be more drawn away from him because of ice conditions and more effort to cover guys like ribeiro. Perhaps that is enough to catapult dags into true sniper territory, but I'm unconvinced.

On the other hand, before the lockout dagenais was supposedly getting serious and all that, going to extra workouts and practicing with the minor team... if he can fix some fundamentals or be willing to truly crash the net and go into corners (look at the size of him! how does a guy who looks like that get marked as soft?) then he could be a true asset.

What ive heard of Dags he is slow on the skates and that will make him worse I think. I think Hossa will be better than Dags as a 2nd line winger the next season.

Another one!

According to a Buffalo newspaper, Satan's on the way out. Here's part of the article that I read:

"According to the News, the Sabres will either decline to tender a qualifying offer or retain his rights for the purposes of trading them away for as little as a draft pick."

Would he be worth considering for Montreal?

Originally posted by shortcat1

I trust that you recognized that I'm being sarcastic about wanting to have Yashin in a Canadiens uniform.

I actually wasn't sure, but decided against responding with "r u a ######in idot???!!!111one!"

Thank you for clarifying. I'll know from now on you aren't stupid :P

Dags -- I say keep 'em. Phil Esposito wan't fast and couldn't skate but got 76 goals. Position and a shot count for a lot! Dags and Ribs have chemistry, isn't it possible here that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts?

I agree with you on this one. He may not be the complete player that many would like to see... who is?

As to comparing him with Esposito, there isn't a one-to-one comparison there. Esposito had an awful lot more spunk than Dagenais has but the latter has shown the knack to be in the right place at the right time so he's worth the investment... at least until someone else comes along who can do the same and more.

So far, unless they trade for or get a free agent who can do that 'more' then stick with Dagenais.

[Edited on 2005/7/27 by shortcat1]