Sept. 28, Senators vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

It's the final game of the preseason (:1banana:) as the Habs host Ottawa.

New-Jersey.jpg

(Based on practice lines but they do have extra players listed on their game day roster so some of their bubble players may get in.)

Tkachuk - L.Brown - C.Brown
Duclair - Tierney - Ryan
Boedker - Pageau - Batherson
Abramov - Chlapik - Sabourin

Chabot - DeMelo
Brannstrom - Hainsey
Goloubef - Zaitsev

Nilsson

Anderson

Montreal.jpg

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Domi - Suzuki
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Weal
Cousins - Poehling - Armia

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury

Price
Kinkaid

Puck drop is at 7:00 PM on TSN2, TSN5, and RDS.  Regional restrictions apply.

9 minutes ago, Neech said:

Is this game actually make or break for Suzuki, Poehling and Fleury?

I'd say at this point that only Suzuki's spot is safely secure.  Poehling's waiver exemption and lack of preseason will hurt him; it'd be defensible to send him down for a few weeks in Laval to basically serve as the rest of his training camp.  Fleury's in good shape for a spot but if he struggles tonight, they could use that as justification that he's not quite ready and go 14/7 instead of the likely 13/8 on the roster.  That would allow them to potentially protect Hudon or Lindgren if they don't want to waive one of them.

19 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

No Drouin?  Is he hurt or is something else going on?  I haven’t been keeping up with this preseason as much as I should be.

I think the official line is they've seen all they need to see from him.  I don't think he's hurt, nor is he getting sat out in the event of a trade.  There's just not much point in playing him considering he's basically going through the motions at this point. 

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think the official line is they've seen all they need to see from him.  I don't think he's hurt, nor is he getting sat out in the event of a trade.  There's just not much point in playing him considering he's basically going through the motions at this point. 

I get that he's a veteran and his place in the lineup is fairly concrete, but I really don't think a guy who only got points in 3 of the last 26 games should be "going through the motions" in preseason. 

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They needed to open up a spot for Poehling too... to see if he will make the team or not. 

I highly doubt Drouin gets dealt( before the season starts anyways) , but that's basically the starting roster, why would Drouin be sitting? Thompson is sitting for Poehling. Lehkonen or Armia could have easily sat for Drouin. Lehkonen isn't even a top 6 player, yet he plays over Drouin in that role? 

20 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

I highly doubt Drouin gets dealt( before the season starts anyways) , but that's basically the starting roster, why would Drouin be sitting? Thompson is sitting for Poehling. Lehkonen or Armia could have easily sat for Drouin. Lehkonen isn't even a top 6 player, yet he plays over Drouin in that role? 

Lehkonen is going to be on that line this year for his defensive presence. 

Domi is not a good defensive centre. 

The other winger is between Suzuki and Drouin.  Drouin is not good defensively, and Suzuki is a rookie. 

For now at least Suzuki is getting the chance and Drouin will likely slot in with Kotkaniemi. (This game could be about seeing if Suzuki can do that role or if they are going back to Drouin).

2 hours ago, Habber31 said:

Does it not seem strange to you for Drouin to be sitting? Unless the max games is a rule. 

There is no max games rule.  I can think of two possibilities - they're sending a message that they're not happy or they're giving him the night off to give him a full week between games to try to clear his head.  I highly doubt they're sitting him because there's a trade on the way - if there was, it would have been announced by now considering the lineup came out about 9 hours ago.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There is no max games rule.  I can think of two possibilities - they're sending a message that they're not happy or they're giving him the night off to give him a full week between games to try to clear his head.  I highly doubt they're sitting him because there's a trade on the way - if there was, it would have been announced by now considering the lineup came out about 9 hours ago.

Here is where I saw that. 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2019/9/28/20888607/montreal-canadiens-lineup-news-opening-night-roster-jonathan-drouin-scratched-poehling-suzuki-fleury

"Jonathan Drouin’s situation has been discussed a lot in training camp, and as the team puts essentially its main NHL roster on the ice this evening, the 2013 third-overall pick is left on the sidelines. Julien stated the forward had reached the maximum number of games for a veteran in the pre-season, but there will still be some questions lingering about this decision so close to the start of the new campaign."

I also can't find such a rule though.

For the first 7 years of their respective careers, Brendan Gallagher and Brad Marchand had pretty similar points per game totals. It wasn’t until his 8th season that Brad Marchand became a point per game player. This year is Brendan Gallagher’s 8th season. The main hindrance would be Gallagher’s assist total potential but if he can pass like he did on the Tatar goal, he may be alright.