2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Lets be clear on what cherry said.

Those who are saying he got fired for "you people" are being disingenious.

He said, "You people who come here, you love our milk and honey." 

There is no doubt who he meant... and that was immigrants.

Lets also not pretend that this is the first time Cherry has shown xenophobic, bigoted, or misogynistic views on the air.  The history is long.  This is the straw that broke the camels back.

Cherry was also given the opportunity to apologize.  He refuses to.  He has in fact doubled down saying i know what i said and i stand by it.

As for the Trudeau comparison.  One was 20 years ago.  It is also something he has apologized for.  Hes also shown in his actions in government to be supportive of diversity.  That doesnt seem to compare to someone doing something today, who refuses to apologize and doesnt understand why its wrong, and who has a long history of these types of comments that isnt going away. 

The irony with the mr blowhard is that yesterday he was saying he stands by his word and wouldn’t want to be be on if he can’t say what he wants.  Today he said he was going to apologize on Saturday.  He should have been fired two decades ago. Still remember him calling a finish coach the dog food name guy.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He actually double downed more then once to. He had a chance to "clear the air" and chose not to

But to suggest that there is NOT a double standard being upheld, depending on what side of an aisle your on is just as disingenuous. And I'm not talking solely on the prospect of immigration. I'm speaking generally across all topics and ideas. Its sickening.

I'm gonna stick with Cherry should of retired long ago. His firing over these comments was a very easy decision for Roger's Sportsnet. 

anyways this is an NHL thread... Politics should have no place in Sports.

It sounded like Labatts had. Jew do do with the firing than Sportsnet.

Alexandre Pratt said he should have been fired 25 years ago with his good Nazis comment

I agree (edit: none of the other Turd Nuggets out of his stinky mouth wouldav had a National platform)

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201911/12/01-5249345-don-cherry-congedie-25-ans-trop-tard.php

Don saying "you people" was meant to be "everyone" doesn't hold much water when the full sentence was, "You people who come here, who love OUR milk and honey, who love OUR way of life." Ya, no, that is definitely not "everyone." A shame the reporter kinda sucks here.

Sportsnet not even asking Don to apologize pretty much proves they were done with his shtick long ago. I would have liked to have seen him get the chance. 

Saying "I would have apologized" is not the same as actually apologizing. You still can, Don. You don't need your show back to do the right thing.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Sportsnet not even asking Don to apologize pretty much proves they were done with his shtick long ago. I would have liked to have seen him get the chance.

From some of the interviews I've read, it sounds like they did but wanted it done a different way than Cherry wanted.  I think Cherry wanted to issue a clarification and Sportsnet wanted something more substantial.

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

From some of the interviews I've read, it sounds like they did but wanted it done a different way than Cherry wanted.  I think Cherry wanted to issue a clarification and Sportsnet wanted something more substantial.

Yeah they probably wanted the same type of apology that Ron gave. Don has said he wasn't going to be a puppet to Roger's which is why he left.

I personally think Roger's was just looking for a way to get rid of Don without the same type of out cry as the first time, and this was the excuse they needed to do so.

To be honest, I haven't watched coach's corner since the first time they let Don and Ron go.  Not sure why, maybe it didn't have the same appeal to me as a adult as it did as a teenager. Or maybe it just became boring and the same old thing ever Saturday with them which is why I stopped watching.

But they need something new and fresh.

6 hours ago, Chris said:

Yes, because anyone who has has another opinion then what you believe, they are automatically racist, followed by an insult. That's the woke PC culture i was referring to, 

i am 30 and everyone has aright to there opinion, i dont make fun of, put down other people's beliefs. I live life outside the social media bubble, perhaps you should practice what you preach 

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Sure.

No one has a right to a million-dollar salary and a privileged platform on a prestige national broadcast. With that platform comes responsibility. And that includes not using that platform to spew hateful opinions targeting vulnerable groups of fellow citizens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Trizzak said:

"I believe others can treat you improperly without any repercussions, and if you voice your displeasure you're problematic."

"I don't need to actually consider a side of the story that challenges my preconceived notions."

"Life is good when I don't need compassion for other people's strife."

"I judge groups that challenge me by their worst persons because it's easy and makes me feel better for not growing."

"Taking in information from many sources is a "bubble," ignoring others is what makes you truly free."

"Don't shine a light on ignorance and hate, and don't fight for what you believe in. Just ignore it and hope it will eventually go away while they get the spotlight."

and finally:

"You being fed up with my uncaring attitude is the only thing I'll latch on to from this experience so I can continue to dismiss anyone who dares to question my world view."

- a dramatic reenactment by We, the Privileged Many

Hate this conversation, but absolutely love this post.  Well done.  

20 hours ago, tomh009 said:

... or at least we should drop the whole topic, and instead discuss the Leafs' struggles and whether we should bet on them missing the playoffs?

The Leafs are an interesting case. They obviously have the talent to not just make the playoffs, but to contend. So what's with the miseries?

Here are some theories:

1. Babcock is the problem. He's old-school in a new-school NHL, and it's questionable whether his "play boring" style fits the players he's got. It's been years since he even came close to winning anything in the NHL, and - maybe most importantly, he's going into his fifth season as Leafs' coach. That's well over the average coaching lifespan. If we ignore the Babcock *myth* and just regard him in the way we would any other coach, he would obviously be on the firing line. If I were GM, he'd be out there door if the team doesn't improve very soon.

2. TO is the problem. That's to say, it's a market in which there are a million temptations and distractions; it's hard for a guy to be treated like a god every minute of every day off the ice and then really be willing to take the kind of punishment needed to win in the NHL. This is especially true when you have a lot of young and perhaps immature players, punks like Matthews. Something similar happened to the young Habs in 2008, if memory serves. The only cures for this problem would either be time - more experience and learning - or perhaps the surgical removal of players who look to be chronic punks, in return for better "character."

3. There is no problem. Maybe the Leafs, having absorbed some playoff humiliation, are a team whose goals are all playoff-focused. The goal for such a team is just to make sure they don't miss the playoffs, then really bear down and win. It's an open question whether you can turn it on like a tap, but surely you don't need to have your "A" game for an entire season. As Tampa showed, it's much more important to peak at the right time than to be amazing pole-to-pole.

Anyhow, as interesting a problem as the Leafs are, the more misery they suffer the better, as far as I'm concerned.🤗 The only thing that troubles me about it is that Toronto and Montreal are very similar markets, and if theory (2) is correct, it also bodes poorly for the Habs if they ever manage to become a team with the talent to legitimately contend.

Toronto are victims of the very new trend of overpaying young players.  In the early cap era, your star ufa made the big money and the young stars waited to get paid. As the league got younger, this changed.  I don't know how they continue with this team. They are fortunate to have depth this year but it will be interesting to see if they can continue. 

49 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Toronto are victims of the very new trend of overpaying young players.  In the early cap era, your star ufa made the big money and the young stars waited to get paid. As the league got younger, this changed.  I don't know how they continue with this team. They are fortunate to have depth this year but it will be interesting to see if they can continue. 

I think Toronto is more like Edmonton of past years.  bad coaching, bad D and bad goaltending.

Edmonton has turned it around , finally found themselves a good coach with a system that the players are buying into. they're getting some good goaltending and are playing good D. 

Will Toronto ever turn things around?

On 11/12/2019 at 8:16 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Sure.

No one has a right to a million-dollar salary and a privileged platform on a prestige national broadcast. With that platform comes responsibility. And that includes not using that platform to spew hateful opinions targeting vulnerable groups of fellow citizens.

Agree with this post.  I think Don Cherry is a good person who does a lot of good but I thought coach's corner was supposed to be about hockey and they have strayed far from that for a while. Targeting immigrants was wrong. I think the network had no choice. 

43 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think Toronto is more like Edmonton of past years.  bad coaching, bad D and bad goaltending.

Edmonton has turned it around , finally found themselves a good coach with a system that the players are buying into. they're getting some good goaltending and are playing good D. 

Will Toronto ever turn things around?

I think what has made it easier for Tippett in Edmonton is that he has a couple superstars who totally buy into the team first/structured approach and the rest have to follow. Not sure Babcock has the same support. Plus they are getting excellent goaltending which has obviously been helped by Tippett's approach. I think they will slip a bit at some point but they have turned it around despite missing one of their best defenceman (Larson).  Draisaitl is such a beast, so strong on the puck. Signing him to a long term contract at 8.5mil a year is starting to look like a good deal. 

31 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think what has made it easier for Tippett in Edmonton is that he has a couple superstars who totally buy into the team first/structured approach and the rest have to follow. Not sure Babcock has the same support. Plus they are getting excellent goaltending which has obviously been helped by Tippett's approach. I think they will slip a bit at some point but they have turned it around despite missing one of their best defenceman (Larson).  Draisaitl is such a beast, so strong on the puck. Signing him to a long term contract at 8.5mil a year is starting to look like a good deal. 

Wish we made that trade with Edmonton for their 1st and Draisaitl for PK instead of the Nashville one for Weber. Love Weber but I think we would been better with the Edmonton trade.

43 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wish we made that trade with Edmonton for their 1st and Draisaitl for PK instead of the Nashville one for Weber. Love Weber but I think we would been better with the Edmonton trade.

You and me both. I remember when there were rumours of PK going to Edmonton. I was really really hoping we would get Draisaitl. He's not going anywhere now.  What a stud. 

Edited by Habs Fan in Edmonton
spelling mistake

41 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

The supposed edmonton trade was not draisaitl and the 4th overall pick.

It was just the 4th pick

There was no way the oilers were giving up two top 4 picks (draisatl was third the year before)

Bergevin said no when dubois was picked at 3rd 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic