2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

58 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Santa Clara County just banned gatherings of over 1000 people due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus in that County. This ban is set to last three weeks. The Sharks happen to play in that County so one would assume they are going to play in an empty building or move the games elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and if this gets adopted by other regions. Hopefully they get this virus under control. The Sharks next home game is March 19th vs the Habs. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan84 said:

Santa Clara County just banned gatherings of over 1000 people due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus in that County. This ban is set to last three weeks. The Sharks happen to play in that County so one would assume they are going to play in an empty building or move the games elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and if this gets adopted by other regions. Hopefully they get this virus under control. The Sharks next home game is March 19th vs the Habs. 

It's out there. I suspect control is not going to happen

I wonder how many young players will come back to the game with video game (or worse) "problems" ?

I seriously wonder what the Habs (and other teams) are doing to break the boredom some of these kids are going to feel with a couple of weeks of "quarantine".

4 hours ago, DON said:

Cole Caufield's temmate Miller (#22 2018) signs entry level deal with Rangers.

He is a year older, so I don’t think you can just take that signing as reason to sign Caufield.  He also 6’5 and 200lb

40 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He is a year older, so I don’t think you can just take that signing as reason to sign Caufield.  He also 6’5 and 200lb

Agree, this should have no bearing on whether the Habs sign Caulfield.  I don't think Don was implying they should because of it, just sharing the story.  I think Caufield should spend another year at Wisconsin. I think the fact that he slowed down quite a bit after a hot start might indicate that he is not ready for the long grind of an NHL/AHL schedule. He still needs to mature.

6 hours ago, ehjay said:

I wonder how many young players will come back to the game with video game (or worse) "problems" ?

I seriously wonder what the Habs (and other teams) are doing to break the boredom some of these kids are going to feel with a couple of weeks of "quarantine".

That boredom shouldn't be any worse than the usual off-season.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That boredom shouldn't be any worse than the usual off-season.

From your keyboard to the Hockey Divinities main processor :)

11 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Can't believe the flames ownership won't pay its employees well the NHL is on hold.  If I were the works no one should go back ounce the NHL starts up again to work for that owner.

I agree, I think the owners of sports franchises should note how Mark Cuban is handling this. Of course Mark has deeper pockets than most but he is doing the right thing. 

Very few NHL owners are hurting for cash. And paying arena employees (at least something) would not be much in the big picture.

Do the players get played for the (potentially) cancelled games?

49 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Can't believe the flames ownership won't pay its employees well the NHL is on hold.  If I were the works no one should go back ounce the NHL starts up again to work for that owner.

Flames ownership is being shitty.

That said, how many workers can afford to not go back to work once the NHL starts up again.  After not getting paid for this period of time, they are going to need that job, so as much as that might be something they want to do, they really can't.   It shows how shitty the situation is for them. 

Meanwhile the owners probably buy another yacht with the money they save. 

37 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Very few NHL owners are hurting for cash. And paying arena employees (at least something) would not be much in the big picture.

Do the players get played for the (potentially) cancelled games?

The players are gonna be paid, but escrow will likely be larger both the rest of this year and will be larger next year as well because of this, so they are going to take hits. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Winnipeg's ownership has announced it as well.  Their argument is that those employees will be paid when they work game nights when things get back underway.

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That said, how many workers can afford to not go back to work once the NHL starts up again.  After not getting paid for this period of time, they are going to need that job, so as much as that might be something they want to do, they really can't.   It shows how shitty the situation is for them. 

Yeah but it's a seasonal job. It's not a full time job for people. If I was a worker there this to me say the boss don't give a #### about you or who you are.

12 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah but it's a seasonal job. It's not a full time job for people. If I was a worker there this to me say the boss don't give a #### about you or who you are.

No matter what the job, there are many people who are doing it because of the paycheque and they need the paycheque.  Its nice to be able to tell the boss to stick it, but many of these people simply can't afford to do so.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

We’re talking about the mai owner living in London to avoid Canadian taxes and threatened to move the team unless the city foot a substantial portion of the new arena cost.  

hr actually does have deep pockets - started CNRL, but that company is know as a sweatshop in the oil and gas industry.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If it's 12 per conference or 6 per division, the Habs would actually be in.

Should have kept Kovalchuk. 

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

The CDC is saying no gatherings of over 50 people for 8 weeks.

How soon before all planes (non essential flights) shut down?

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Bergevin led team makes playoffs is the real headline.  Followed in several weeks, by Habs Win Stanley Cup, Bergevin is First GM Ever Awarded Conn Smythe Trophy.

Even if won, critics would still keep on...

2 hours ago, DON said:

How soon before all planes (non essential flights) shut down?

That should have happened weeks ago.  Planes, trains, busses...they are virus incubators basically.  Surfaces coated, people jammed in close together breathing in recirculated air...the perfect recipe for transmission.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic