2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wow you're a dumb ass, go to the grocery store's and see the products that are empty. Don't just say what you hear on the news.

I think a big part of the reason some items are harder to come by is that Canadians (not sure about our southern neighbours)  have been going a little over board hoarding some items. I have noticed that pasta has been in short supply on my recent trips to the grocery store.

I also think we can disagree with people without being rude otherwise this board will degenerate quickly. 

47 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think a big part of the reason some items are harder to come by is that Canadians (not sure about our southern neighbours)  have been going a little over board hoarding some items. I have noticed that pasta has been in short supply on my recent trips to the grocery store.

I also think we can disagree with people without being rude otherwise this board will degenerate quickly. 

Yes I agree people over reacting,  but you do know to get out of the north American standard for health and safe companies send things to china.  Any time you here of a recall its something that was done there.  This type of stuff needs to change.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I didn’t realize toilet paper sold in Canada was made in china🙄

Exactly, the reason that we are out of certain items is because people are buying way more than normal (and way more than they need) which is killing the supply. 

Companies have years of experience knowing how much to produce and supply to stores to meet the demand that we have while we are behaving normally. 

When the customers started acting crazy.... toilet paper, why is it F'ing toilet paper that we are hoarding... if you run out of TP, just take a shower, you are locked in your house anyway... i digress.

When people started acting crazy and buying ten times the toilet paper they normally do, we ran out of it on shelves. 

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wow you're a dumb ass, go to the grocery store's and see the products that are empty. Don't just say what you hear on the news.

I have been to a grocery store and most of the stuff that’s sold out is from NA - not China.  And if your weren’t such a dumbass, you’d realize that the shelves are empty because if idiots hoarding out of paranoia or trying to capitalize by selling stuff at huge markups.  Go to Amazon.ca and look at how much people are charging for toilet paper.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Exactly, the reason that we are out of certain items is because people are buying way more than normal (and way more than they need) which is killing the supply. 

Companies have years of experience knowing how much to produce and supply to stores to meet the demand that we have while we are behaving normally. 

When the customers started acting crazy.... toilet paper, why is it F'ing toilet paper that we are hoarding... if you run out of TP, just take a shower, you are locked in your house anyway... i digress.

When people started acting crazy and buying ten times the toilet paper they normally do, we ran out of it on shelves. 

This isn’t anything new. During the while y2k scare I had idiot coworkers who were hoarding canned goods because of the apocalyptic impact that was supposed to have.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It’s not just our southern neighbours.  In Calgary they had local new showing people fighting over toilet paper rolls.  The canned goods section is empty. It’s easy to point finger’s at Chinese or Americans for the predicament, but Canadians haven’t responded much better.

we live in a global world.  Pandemics aren’t anything new - they just spread faster now. In 19th and early 20th centuries, most of the pandemics came out of Europe. But hey they were all white, so no reason to say back than stop the influx of Europeans into North America.

if you look at Trump’s response and earlier attitude toward COVID-19, it was much worse than China’s initial response.  Italy has closed its borders a long time ago, yet they have had the more deaths than China.  Reports now are that the USA will have the highest number of cases.

most transmissions now are from non-travellers and people who aren’t following the rules most jurisdictions have set.

when I got back at the end of February, I was feeling sick and got tested - was negative and just a common cold.  I was told to go into quarantine until the results came back and after they were negative, when I went to see my family doctor the said to still self isolate for another week given the auto immune conditions I have and I did.  Later, it took a lot of struggle with the online booking company who are not honouring the airline cancellation/reschedule waivers (justfly.com which is a Canadian  company and are screwing people over - not Chinese or North Korean).  At the end we just had to buy new tickets that cost us 4 times the normal fare to get my parents back last week and we are all following the quarantine rules again.  Others aren’t.  Are we going to blame transmissions and spread of the epidemic from people not following rules on the Chinese as well?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

What does it have to do????.... Look at the empty shelves in the stores. We wouldn't have to worry about that if these companies made the products in north American. 

It's not where things are made. Stores keep less stock now and rely on JIT (just-in-time) delivery, planned well in advance, and based on usual sales volumes. A rush to buy TP will quicklyu empty out the shelves, and increasing purchasing volumes doesn't happen so quickly as the suppliers have their volumes planned, too.

Things have calmed down somewhat now, though, and most things (apart from hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol) can be found fairly easily. Even TP.

I at least understand the canned food.  If the food supply chain breaks down, non-perishable food is good to have (I don't agree it needs to be hoarded or that the supply chain will break down) but I can at least understand the thinking. 

The toilet paper though?  So stupid. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I at least understand the canned food.  If the food supply chain breaks down, non-perishable food is good to have (I don't agree it needs to be hoarded or that the supply chain will break down) but I can at least understand the thinking. 

Once you go 2 ply you can never go  back 😂😜🤣

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think it sounds awful. 

For $100,000,000 I think Molson & crew will be OK with some goofy advertising stuff.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:00 PM, Commandant said:

If u have a bunch canned beans u might want TP to go with it :P

• Upvote 1

I'd add something meaningful to this conversation but I happen to be a dumb ass too. My ass is pretty limited too though at times its accused of being a little too cheeky. Just thought I'd contribute. See what I mean?  Like my ass, sometimes I just throw stuff out there. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Some sad news today as Oilers forward Colby Cave passed away at the age of 25.  He underwent surgery earlier this week to remove a cyst from his brain and had been in a medically-induced coma.

Very sad news,  he was a quality guy. He was extremely well liked by the his team mates, the media spoke really highly of him. One media guy said that he was always happy whenever Colby was called up because he was such a nice guy.  Gone way too soon. 

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think we'll be lucky if we get a full 2020-21 season.

Yep.

I could see the NHL going for a calendar à la MLB  where let's say  Habs face  NYR  only once,  4 games in 6 nights at Madison Square Garden, then come back home  for  4 games at the Bell Centre against Pittsburgh 3 days later or so.

It would eliminate most of the traveling and help keeping the players "fresh".

• dlbalr unpinned this topic