2019-20 Laval Rocket General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

With Laval's season already underway, it's probably time to get the general season thread up and running.  We'll use this thread for any general news and notes about the Rocket and their ECHL players.

Laval does not have their own ECHL affiliate once again but they've partnered up with Maine (Rangers) for the second straight season while they've also sent three players to Adirondack (New Jersey) that are all on NHL deals so at least they have a couple of options to work with.  There's only one player with Laval that was on an ECHL season-ending roster at the end of the season in Joe Cox and his rights are with ECHL Florida so if he's sent down, that's where he'll need to go barring a rights trade.

On the veteran side, they're basically at the max.  Here's a refresher on the rule:

A maximum of five skaters with 320 career professional games* played (as of the start of the season) can dress per night.  Teams can also dress an additional skater with between 260-319 professional GP as a sixth veteran (more than one in this group can play if there are fewer than five veterans with 320+ GP).

*Qualifying leagues towards the veteran GP calculation: NHL, AHL, NLA, Czech Extraliga, Slovak Extraliga, KHL, SHL, SM-liiga, and DEL. Only regular season games count towards the calculation.

• dlbalr pinned this topic
4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Noah Juulsen was sent to Laval. Hopefully he gets into game shape pretty quickly. I'd love to see a Kulak-Juulsen pairing asap.

That might work. The core of our defence (Weber, Petry, Mete, Kulak) is not so different from last season but really things are not working so far. It's only four games, though, so I don't know whether Julien needs more time or we need to swop some of the players.

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Noah Juulsen was sent to Laval. Hopefully he gets into game shape pretty quickly. I'd love to see a Kulak-Juulsen pairing asap.

I don't think it'll be quick.  (For starters, I think he'll be scratched tomorrow as while he has skated in Laval, he hasn't skated with the team yet so they probably won't throw him in without a practice.)  He also has basically been sitting for the better part of ten months now (save for a brief stint with the Rocket after the injury).  I wouldn't be shocked if he's down there for at least 4-6 weeks before they even entertain the idea of bringing him up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I have not been following Laval this season, how has Juulsen played?

He has been relatively steady which is pretty good considering how long he has missed.  At some point, I'm expecting him to start to make more of an impact but so far, so good.

42 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The Montreal Canadiens today announced that goaltender Michael McNiven has been assigned to the ECHL’s Jacksonville Icemen.

This is at least a short-term solution since he was basically the #3 in Adirondack.  Jacksonville's starter was recalled a while back to Manitoba and their backup was just recalled to Charlotte.  McNiven should get some playing time but it'll only be until those other goalies come back, then he'll need to be on the move again.

In the meantime, Colorado has two injured goalies.

Could they give up something for Charlie Lindgren? As even with Werner's strong first game they have no NHL backup to him, and he's a 2016 draft pick, who hasn't even had an NHL start. 

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

In the meantime, Colorado has two injured goalies.

Could they give up something for Charlie Lindgren? As even with Werner's strong first game they have no NHL backup to him, and he's a 2016 draft pick, who hasn't even had an NHL start. 

How about Calle Rosen? (undrafted ex-leaf)

It's a bit curious. Before his injury, he was viewed pretty highly in spite of not having been drafted, and he played a respectable 2018-2019 season. But the Canucks didn't extend a qualifying offer, and then things went very quiet for five months. Either no one was interested (due to the injury, perchance) or else McEneny was holding off for a higher paycheque. He made almost $700K last year, not much by NHL standards but a lot more than most AHL players are making.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Commandant said:

David sklenica has been placed on unconditional waivers for the purpose of mutual contract termination.

Sklenicka cleared and was released.  I still have no idea why he didn't get much action in Laval this season as he was serviceable for them last year.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic