2019-20 Laval Rocket General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

I was looking at this "Full List Of 2020 Expiring Draft Rights": https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/05/full-list-of-2020-expiring-draft-rights.html 

I after going through all the players I was wondering if these would fit in Laval?

Luke Henman (C drafted #96 in '18)                25g 74pts 63gms   

Declan Chisholm (LD drafted #150 in '18)      13g 69pts 69gms

Alexis Gravel (Goalie drafted #162 in'18)

Edited by alfredoh2009
removed some of the players that were so-so in my initial list

I wound up looking at the stats for each player as I had added the links in that article back on Monday (it was a bit of a dull night shift).  Chisholm, to me, is the most notable but with all of the LD they've added recently, I don't think there's a great fit unless they were moving a different LD in return.  Gravel feels like an AHL offer at best.  It's not a great class of prospects to sift through overall.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I wound up looking at the stats for each player as I had added the links in that article back on Monday (it was a bit of a dull night shift).  Chisholm, to me, is the most notable but with all of the LD they've added recently, I don't think there's a great fit unless they were moving a different LD in return.  Gravel feels like an AHL offer at best.  It's not a great class of prospects to sift through overall.

I wasn't sure if it was your article or not, great stuff @dlbalr !

Chisholm seems like an update on McEneny or Culkin who are up for re-signing their AHL contracts. Harris does not need to be signed until 2022 and  Olofsson is not always healthy.

31 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I wasn't sure if it was your article or not, great stuff @dlbalr !

Chisholm seems like an update on McEneny or Culkin who are up for re-signing their AHL contracts. Harris does not need to be signed until 2022 and  Olofsson is not always healthy.

It wasn't my article.  The original piece didn't have the EP links, I just added those in.  If Chisholm wants to sign an AHL contract, sure.  Mind you, I'm one who generally thinks that there is rarely such a thing as a bad minor league deal. 

Looking ahead to 2021-22 - I think Harris signs then (there was consideration to signing him for next year) while Fairbrother and LeGuerrier need deals as well (LeGuerrier I think could sign now).  I think one of those two will get a deal.  It's possible Norlinder comes over as well - he has the second year on his SHL deal but that can be overridden by the transfer agreement.  Leskinen could still be around.  That could be the whole left side of Laval's back end right there and who knows, Alzner could still be around for his final season.  (Plus Ouellet/Olofsson could be retained or replaced.) 

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It wasn't my article.  The original piece didn't have the EP links, I just added those in.  If Chisholm wants to sign an AHL contract, sure.  Mind you, I'm one who generally thinks that there is rarely such a thing as a bad minor league deal. 

Looking ahead to 2021-22 - I think Harris signs then (there was consideration to signing him for next year) while Fairbrother and LeGuerrier need deals as well (LeGuerrier I think could sign now).  I think one of those two will get a deal.  It's possible Norlinder comes over as well - he has the second year on his SHL deal but that can be overridden by the transfer agreement.  Leskinen could still be around.  That could be the whole left side of Laval's back end right there and who knows, Alzner could still be around for his final season.  (Plus Ouellet/Olofsson could be retained or replaced.) 

The Chicutimi Cucumber (and others) have made the point time and time again that the Habs should aim to build a deep talented team to become a perennial contender. Harris, Norlinder and the others may or may not pan out. We I read the article it got me thinking on how to replace the AHL-fillers we have on LD with more talented AHLers.

I was hoping to push Olofsson, McEneny or Culkin out if Chisholm is an upgrade. I would love for the Habs to have to make a tough decision on which LD prospects to keep because we have too much talent.

• Upvote 1

On 5/28/2020 at 1:30 PM, dlbalr said:

On 5/28/2020 at 12:33 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

I was looking at this "Full List Of 2020 Expiring Draft Rights": https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/05/full-list-of-2020-expiring-draft-rights.html 

I after going through all the players I was wondering if these would fit in Laval?

Luke Henman (C drafted #96 in '18)                25g 74pts 63gms   

Declan Chisholm (LD drafted #150 in '18)      13g 69pts 69gms

Alexis Gravel (Goalie drafted #162 in'18)

Luke Henman wasn't signed by Carolina. He could be a try-out, if the Habs have their development camp

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 8:37 PM, dlbalr said:

One-year extension for Yannick Veilleux, a well-deserved deal.  Normally this wouldn't get its own article on HW but I am rather desperate for content to keep things running somewhat smoothly.

http://www.habsworld.net/2020/05/laval-signs-yannick-veilleux-to-a-one-year-extension/

It sounds like Veilleux nearly got converted to an NHL deal to finish out the season according to Anthony Marcotte on a podcast on EOTP (around the 38-minute mark).

https://dcs.megaphone.fm/VMP8824234019.mp3?key=c64a16fa5769b0c00f648791cfa64ea3

Why would he get a NHL deal?

He is 27 and never played 1 game in NHL.

17/18 & 18/19 seasons he had all of 8g total...in the AHL

1 hour ago, DON said:

Why would he get a NHL deal?

He is 27 and never played 1 game in NHL.

17/18 & 18/19 seasons he had all of 8g total...in the AHL

I'm guessing it would have been a token deal with a game or two left in the season as a reward for playing quite well after coming to Laval.

12 hours ago, DON said:

Ahh I see, maybe want a career AHLer who has scored a bit lately with the Black Aces?

Veilleux wouldn't be eligible to play in the playoffs since he wasn't signed to an NHL deal by the trade deadline.  This just would have been to finish out the regular season had it played out as originally scheduled.

1 hour ago, DON said:

With 2 year ELC, is Arsen Khisamutdinov  likely coming over to try Laval next season?

Yes, he'll be in Laval.  They will have a much different forward group with him, Hillis, Ylonen, and Teasdale all starting their ELC's plus Hawel on an AHL deal.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, DON said:

image.pngimage.png

Neither of them seem impressive signings, even for the Rocket ... both turn 25 in September ... Vigneault has scored 1 goal every 8 AHL games ... and while he is big he has low PIMs, so not for "toughness" ... Schueneman had Leskinen/Oloffson-like stats last year ... which seems to make him somewhat redundant ... but they'll fill out the roster

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm intrigued a bit by Schuenemann - 21 points in 44 games as a defenceman in his first AHL season isn't too shabby.  Vigneault is a serviceable filler player but nothing special.

Fair ... but as a soon to be 25 yr-old he likely doesn't have much upside ... 9 months younger than Olofsson (with similar stats) ... at least Leskinen is "only" 23 ... Schueneman may be a very good AHL defenceman but my gut is saying he will only ever be an "In Case of Emergency" NHLer 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Fair ... but as a soon to be 25 yr-old he likely doesn't have much upside ... 9 months younger than Olofsson (with similar stats) ... at least Leskinen is "only" 23 ... Schueneman may be a very good AHL defenceman but my gut is saying he will only ever be an "In Case of Emergency" NHLer 

I wouldn't even go that far by qualifying him as an NHL guy under any circumstance but I think he's more promising than the defencemen that have been on AHL-only deals in recent years though so that's a small win.

He was pretty good for someone who basically came out of nowhere and wound up in the top four briefly last season.

It also sounds like the ECHL agreement with Trois-Rivieres is done - there's a press conference set for this afternoon.

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He was pretty good for someone who basically came out of nowhere and wound up in the top four briefly last season.

It also sounds like the ECHL agreement with Trois-Rivieres is done - there's a press conference set for this afternoon.

AHL/ECHL deals important for an organization as depth is required to allow both teams to succeed ... a winning environment is good for development (IMO)

Hope you are right about TR ... not only because I am Trifleuvian ... AHL in Laval and their own ECHL team in Trois Rivieres makes a ton of sense ... easier to move players around and allows organizational resources better access to AHL and ECHL players

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

So this is sort of done now.  The city announced an agreement with Deacon Sports and Entertainment to run the arena.  It's a five-year deal with two other five-year options.  The ECHL has not ratified this yet and accordingly, the affiliation with the Canadiens can't be announced either.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That's excellent news. Let's hope there is an ECHL (and AHL) season next year!

I'm not too worried about the ECHL for next season - this potential agreement with the Habs would start in 2021-22.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic