New Schedule

GoHabs2002

Schedule came out today....in general terms...it sucks

Cost-saving or olympic year, but some of the dates are messed up:

-Montreal plays on at the Bell Centre on Dec. 3rd and then don't play again at all until the 10th!

-Montreal plays at the home on Feb. 11th, and doesnt play in Montreal again until March 11th! (there is a 14-day break cause of the Olympics, tho, but the league could have gave the team one game at home before the long streak on the road)

- League-wide, there are a bunch of home-home series (ex: bruins two straight at the bell center, with a 2 day Break)

- Beware leaf fan: maple leafs has a similar two-game in a row stretch IN montreal, and not on a saturday night. (that is goig to be good, habs-leafs not on HNIC, not with cole and neale, hopefully it'll be Cuthbert!)

- And the schedule ends on a Tuesday, not Sunday.

- Playoffs Start on a Friday (that's ok)

Overall, I hope next season the schedule is more consistent. I think the home-home series (not home and home) is jst cost-savings for the teams to catch up to their recent losses and once that occurs, and the league sees its bush league, then they'll be eliminated.

Ok, the new schedule makes no sense to me. I only checked the Jackets schedule (to see if they played Montreal and Pittsburgh) and I was quite confused. They play some Eastern teams 3 times, but other Eastern teams just once, and some none. I expected that the Habs would not be visiting, but is is Pittsburgh visiting twice? I just don't get it.

It means that next year it's will surely be the other way around, Habs 2-3 time, but none against Pitts

They abolished the pointless once in a year meeting and also wanted teams in a given division to play same # of games against same opponents.

So it's mainly intraconference and even more intradivision...

When it is inter conf, it's 2 divisions a year.

e.g. Pacific and northwest

-Pacific visits X division in eastern conf

-that X division visits northwest...

The rationale of it has been explained in an article, but I can't find it back so I summed it up as best as I could remember...

[Edited on 2005/7/27 by alexstream]

Alright, this schedule is screwed. The habs play not one.... but two 6 game road trips this season. Along with at least one 5 game road trip. And we start out the season with 3 straight road games....

Best parts of the schedule...

Mar 23 2006, Thu HOME Maple Leafs 7:30 PM ET -

Mar 25 2006, Sat HOME Maple Leafs 7:00 PM ET -

Apr 1 2006, Sat HOME Bruins 7:00 PM ET -

Apr 4 2006, Tue HOME Bruins 7:30 PM ET -

Back to backs AT HOME vs the same team, and the nice part is that the habs play no back-to-back road games vs the same team.

For the most part, I couldn't be happier with this schedule as an Avs fan. We've only got one big road trip in mid-March whereas we've got 2 or 3 big home stands. The only I don't like is the fact we play the Casucks three times in the matter of a week at the end of October (albet two of them are at home. In a row. I don't really get that but meh). I think it's your division we're hosting from the eastern conference. Should be exciting, don't know if the Habs or Laffs have ever made the trip to Denver.

That's what Montreal has to work with this year so, there you go.

One could argue that Montreal is in a difficult situation all round. They have a difficult schedule, they are in a difficult division, have a difficult tax situation, etc, etc, etc.

I won't use the worn out adage "It's all good" but, good or not, fair or not, that's the way it is.

If they can get beyond this situation and make it into the playoffs in a good position and in good health, then it bodes well for them in the long term.