Habs vs Wild Oct 17 2019

DON

Great breakdown commandant.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

In the last three games the Habs have

St. Louis....  61.5% corsi, 75.38% xG (5v5) and allowed just 29 shots on goal
Tampa...  55.6% corsi, 52.55% xG (5v5) and allowed just 22 shots on goal
Minnesota... 54% Corsi, 78.4% xG (5v5), and allowed just 17 shots on goal

The defensive issues that we saw in the first four games are resolving...... the trend is real.  The team had issues to start the year in their first 4 games in their own end.  The defence has picked it up starting in the St. Louis game (a softy goal by Price on Blais gifted them a third goal when we really should have held them to two)... The tampa game was again solid outside of a five minute stretch and the Bolts are likely the best offensive team in the league.... the Wild are a bad team, but the Habs played near perfect shutdown hockey on them.   And even with the Wild being bad, you can't say that about St. Louis or Tampa. 

The defense on this team has turned a corner. 

My perspective of Shea Weber has a lot to do with his offensive game and more specifically, his slap shot. Shea Weber is not a particularly fast skater but I think he’s actually quicker than some give him credit for, in that he’s far from being a Douglas Murray-like slug.

It’s a personal opinion but I feel that when Weber’s offensive game is on, his confidence level goes up and his whole game rises as a consequence. His game was off the first few games this season but that included his patented 110 mph slap shot. He was missing the net, fumbling his reception of certain passes and not even inducing much fear into his opponents who would be forced to block his shots. This ties in with one of the main reasons that I don’t fully mind when it’s somewhat predictable that the puck will end up on his stick for a one timer; someone will still have to have the courage to step in front of his shot, and maybe multiple times. This is not an easy achievement. 

This is all to say that last game was the first game that I saw with my own eyes, the confident Weber with his slap shot from the point on the power play. I think he had been practicing repeatedly over the past few days.

Unfortunately for Erikkson Ek of the Wild, he became Weber’s first casualty this season after blocking Weber’s shot 3 times on the same penalty kill without any reprieve. This left him walking out of the arena in a protective boot around his foot. 

I do not condone Weber injuring anyone with his shot, but I do take last game as a positive sign for Weber heading into the rest of the season and not only do I expect him to score his first fairly soon, if not tonight, but I expect his overall game to rise as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

My perspective of Shea Weber has a lot to do with his offensive game and more specifically, his slap shot. Shea Weber is not a particularly fast skater but I think he’s actually quicker than some give him credit for, in that he’s far from being a Douglas Murray-like slug.

It’s a personal opinion but I feel that when Weber’s offensive game is on, his confidence level goes up and his whole game rises as a consequence. His game was off the first few games this season but that included his patented 110 mph slap shot. He was missing the net, fumbling his reception of certain passes and not even inducing much fear into his opponents who would be forced to block his shots. This ties in with one of the main reasons that I don’t fully mind when it’s somewhat predictable that the puck will end up on his stick for a one timer; someone will still have to have the courage to step in front of his shot, and maybe multiple times. This is not an easy achievement. 

This is all to say that last game was the first game that I saw with my own eyes, the confident Weber with his slap shot from the point on the power play. I think he had been practicing repeatedly over the past few days.

Unfortunately for Erikkson Ek of the Wild, he became Weber’s first casualty this season after blocking Weber’s shot 3 times on the same penalty kill without any reprieve. This left him walking out of the arena in a protective boot around his foot. 

I do not condone Weber injuring anyone with his shot, but I do take last game as a positive sign for Weber heading into the rest of the season and not only do I expect him to score his first fairly soon, if not tonight, but I expect his overall game to rise as well.

It’s nice to see weber blast it, but I’d rather him start getting his shots through and hit the net more, where he gets a goal, or we get a chance on a rebound or deflection.