2005 Draft Day Thread

shortcat1

I'm sure Sens fans are as happy as hell right now since Muckler already stated he was gonna take Price if he was still there. But yeah, this doesn't make sense for the Habs. Maybe you guys will pull a trade with the Sens?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will probably be some sort of signings and a trade.

watch Hossa be dangled and another forward.

The Habs are interested in Aucoin as well and I have heard rumors of them seeking Selanne and or sign Kovalev. Could Gainey sign someone off the raidar again?? Sure...The Habs need some muscle up front.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

why... Trade Theo for Crosby in 2 days or Ill never trust u again Gainey. This is the worst ive ever seen. Right now the drafting of matt higgins and Jason Ward looks really good... the drafting days of Rejean Houle looks kinda nice too. this guy better be the new Patrick Roy or I want Gainey gone. This is worse than Goodenow and the NHLPA. Im so mad that I might take some of this back in a day or two but right now who cares about the damn draft... why didnt we get the 30th overall pick instead... Wouldnt be so damn dissapointed then...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

time to drink beer and forget.

cya tomorrow if Im still alive :P

Ok, cool down and think about it.

1. Theo is nearing free agency.

2. Danis should back him up this year, and is not far from free agency.

3. If Danis impressed, Theo could be on the outs a couple years down the road.

4. By that time, Danis could be number one and Price number two.

5. After that, who's to say Price isn't number one.

Obviously there's a belief in him, otherwise they would have dealt the pick. Let it go somewhere and see what happens. He seems like a good kid from his interview on TSN, and though Gilbert Brule would have been nice... is he really that much better than Chris Higgins is going to be? Tomas Plekanec? Alexander Perezhogin?

If the Habs believe he was the best player available, we've gotta hope that he will be.

BUT GOD DAMN I WANTED JACK JOHNSON! :D

Gainey said he's trying to sign Halak... so look for him or Price to be on our AHL squad. Must not forget we've gotta ice on of Edmonton's goalies as well. So chances are that we only have one of them on the team.

Anywayz, i'm as surprised as anyone by this... I still think SOMETHING has to be up.

I still have faith in Gainey, so I'm sure he knows what's he's doing.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Hey beckham, start bashing this pick, nobody will disagree with you.

Although I probably would have traded down for an extra pick or two. When I saw the pictures someone posted and realized how big Price was for a 17 year old, I knew he would go high. I actually thought Minnesota would draft him.

As I said from the beginning, once you get past Crosby, Johnson and Ryan, there isn't really much difference in the next 20 or 30 prospects. I like Price because he has great size, is a bright kid, and was one of the youngest prospects on the board. He is a year younger than "Ben the Chicken" (with his feathered highlighted hairdo), it could have been worse.;)

hehe, since thats the case he'll probably approve of this pick.

The pick will grow on you. The thing with goaltenders is that they take longer than skaters to contribute as a rule. Price has as much upside as anyone in the draft outside of Crosby, I think.

[Edited on 2005/7/30 by beckham]

Did I hear right? Guillaume Latendresse as #2 pick!

Is that good? Sounds like a popular choice anyways. It took a trade, I understand. I wonder what the Rangers got in return.

[Edited on 2005/7/30 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by shortcat1

Did I hear right? Guillaume Latendresse as #2 pick!

Is that good? Sounds like a popular choice anyways. It took a trade, I understand. I wonder what the Rangers got in return.

Its more then good... its awesome!

He was a projected 1st rounder, some people though high first rounder. He's the big powerful forward we've been missing. What a steal!

Awesome move by the habs to get him.... This puts me in a much better mood after getting Price (Nothing personal against Price, I just didnt want a goalie)

talk about much ado about nothing. after a week of such anticipation... Brule-Pouillot-Kopitar! What a let down! Does anybody have any idera why they picked Price? What are they smoking in the front office:?-java script:icon(':?-')

I think the Habs understand that they have several good goaltenders in their organisation. They did not want to take a chance on the other guys... (Kopitar/Brule/Staal/etc)... so they chose Price as a safe pick.

Price should evolve into a starting goaltender giving the Habs several good goaltenders who they can choose to trade in a couple of years to fill a need.

Only time will tell.

Price was the best player available at #5. Latendresse was a steal at #45. Forecaster had them rated at #8 and #9 overall, TSN had them at #7 and #21 overall, with the stipulation that #21 (Latendresse) could slip into the top 10.

Gotta say that it puts a more pleasant light on the draft for me anyways. I was surprised by the Price decision but, for Gainey, I suppose the 'Price' was right for him.

This Latendresse probably has as much upside as some of the top 10.

The smile :) is back.

Ok, so Montreal gave New York their 3rd round pick also. Still a great decision.

:ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg:

I'm trying to follow the draft on Sportsnet, but they only have the 1st round available. What happened with Latendresse? I thought we didn't have a 2nd round pick (Kovalev trade)