Nov. 2, Montreal vs Dallas, 7 PM

dlbalr

4 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

One and done all night. This is one of the worst games I've seen this year. 

Yep. Truly a dreary spectacle.

A minimally-competent PP would have made a big difference.

1 minute ago, Habber31 said:

So boring 

That's not what Stars fans think, of course.

I'm going to go have dinner, this team is just counting down until they can go home.

Dallas is shining a spotlight on all of this team's weaknesses tonight. 

Our sub-par blueline?  check

Our shoddy penalty killing?  check

Our lack of one-time shooters on the PP?  check

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, the team has played 13 games. So if we're going to declare Price's season "average," four great games (five including tonight's) are a significant chunk of the sample size.

I'm not saying the guy is Superman. I just don't see his play as our main problem and from what I've seen he has been quite good. I think expectations are off the chart for him and that he consequently "falls short" even when he plays like a very fine NHL goalie.

Problem is the way to is team is built, Price has to steal 3 out 5 games.  It also doesn’t help that he is one of the highest paid players in the league (which is why I hate paying a goalie that much - can never live up to contract no matter how well he plays, when the D sucks).  unlike a top centre or top dmen, he can’t take over the game if the team in front of his crap.

in 2014 he was the backbone of the team, but they had Markov, subban, petry and Emelin on D.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Tough game but anytime you get 4 points out of 3 games on a long western trip, thats a success.

That was my thought as well. It was also the first bad game I've seen them play in a while.

25 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

That was my thought as well. It was also the first bad game I've seen them play in a while.

Yes...the game was a bummer, but it would wrong to make too much out of it, in context. Every team lays a few eggs nowadays give the insane length of the season.

Came out flying then let up. Seemed to be hoping Dallas tired in the 3rd. Dallas came out hitting but couldnt match iur speed. Should have keep the pedal down. Just beat the Bruins and Flyers and we will all get over this one. 

3 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Came out flying then let up. Seemed to be hoping Dallas tired in the 3rd. Dallas came out hitting but couldnt match iur speed. Should have keep the pedal down. Just beat the Bruins and Flyers and we will all get over this one. 

While the Habs were outskating and outshooting the Stars early, the Stars were hitting them. I wonder if the physical punishment coupled with travel fatigue were enough to take the wind out of the Habs' sails? Could help to explain why the team seemed to skate in cement for the final 2/3 of the night.

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

Canadiens lines at practice:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Domi-Armia
Lehkonen-Poehling-Byron
Cousins-Thompson-Suzuki (Weal)

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Reilly-Fleury
Kulak-Folin

Id much rather see Kulak over Reilly

I don’t get why Koko and now Poehling are being saddled with Lekhonan and Byron.  Don’t know why they don’t try a kid line. Out Suzuki with one one Poehling or Koko.

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t get why Koko and now Poehling are being saddled with Lekhonan and Byron.  Don’t know why they don’t try a kid line. Out Suzuki with one one Poehling or Koko.

Looking at advanced stats for the team, to isolate their performance:

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=std&rate=y&team=MTL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

5-on-5, expected goals/60:

• Lehkonen 6th(!) on the team at 0.79, ahead of Tatar, Danault and Suzuki
  • Byron 12th on the team at 0.43, second-worst forward

5-on-5, individual Corsi/60:

• Lehkonen 5th (!) on the team at 13.77, behind Gallagher, Armia, Weal and Tatar
  • Byron 20th on the team at 6.09, ahead of only Folin

I will say that Lehkonen's advanced stats are much better than I expected. But Byron's are as dismal as I thought. Are the advanced stats making Lehkonen's play look better than it really is? Any insight would be appreciated.

Alas, I don't know how to evaluate their PK performance using advanced stats.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Defensive players, I guess. We sure know they're doing nothing offensively. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Looking at advanced stats for the team, to isolate their performance:

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=std&rate=y&team=MTL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

5-on-5, expected goals/60:

• Lehkonen 6th(!) on the team at 0.79, ahead of Tatar, Danault and Suzuki
  • Byron 12th on the team at 0.43, second-worst forward

5-on-5, individual Corsi/60:

• Lehkonen 5th (!) on the team at 13.77, behind Gallagher, Armia, Weal and Tatar
  • Byron 20th on the team at 6.09, ahead of only Folin

I will say that Lehkonen's advanced stats are much better than I expected. But Byron's are as dismal as I thought. Are the advanced stats making Lehkonen's play look better than it really is? Any insight would be appreciated.

Alas, I don't know how to evaluate their PK performance using advanced stats.

Stats be damned. Lekhonan was a guy I was excited about, but I think lekhonan would have finishing in a whorehouse.

32 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

Defensive players, I guess. We sure know they're doing nothing offensively. 

5-on-5, Lehkonen is scoring 1.86 points/60 minutes of ice time. That's worse than the top two lines (bar Domi and Armia) as well as Cousins and Suzuki. But it's still 7th among forwards, about what you'd expect for a third-line forward.

Byron is 11th among forwards at 1.14 points/60 minutes.

26 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

He has 2 goals in 14 games, 2 pts in his last 11. I don't need advanced stats to tell me this guy is not producing. He went almost 30 games without a goal last season too. This is nothing new.

Yes, two even-strength goals so far this year, and three assists for five points. Other forwards (on even strength) ...

• Suzuki: 3g + 2a = 5
  • Domi: 1g + 4a
  • Thompson: 0g + 4a
  • Armia: 2g + 2a
  • Byron: 0g + 3a

Lehkonen is not the only one "not producing". (I'm only comparing even strength as Lehkonen doesn't play on PP.)