Nov. 5, Boston vs Montreal, 7:30 PM

tomh009

36 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The ratings support that, with Kulak ranked #57 overall of all NHL defencemen. (And I do think alfredoh meant exactly that, fill in when needed, not in the top three pairs barring injuries.)

yes, tomh, Reilly in the press box most nights, but not in the AHL. 

55 minutes ago, DON said:

Weber and Petry tied for 15th in d-scoring, is that declining?

Reilly is fine for pressbox depth, but would prefer to not see him in the top six and Kulak instead.

Weber will decline, like Markov and others declined in their late 30s. 

If the CH is ever going to compete for the cup, I do not think they should focus on who would play with Weber of Petry on the first pair, but who will be the top defender on the team. I think it will be the next big signing by MB and that it will an LD Weber and Petry will complement, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

100% of people in the world will decline in athletic ability, like Markov and others declined in their late 30s. 

If the CH is ever going to compete for the cup, I do not think they should focus on who would play with Weber of Petry on the first pair, but who will be the top defender on the team. I think it will be the next big signing by MB and that it will an LD Weber and Petry will complement, not the other way around.

Agree, but complement is simply a fact that a top pairing LH d-man will be upgrade on all they have at the moment, he can skate well, will be good at both ends of rink and moving puck.

4 hours ago, DON said:

MB 6yrs, 3 division titles, 4 playoff appearances

Bob 7yrs, 1 division title,  4 playoff appearances

So if his defense was strong, didnt seem to matter in results.

Bergevin inherited Gaineys team. Those division title's were with the core group That was develop under Gainey as gm.

PK, Price, Markov, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Plekenec.

You want to compare stats use Bergevin stats after he blow up the team and traded away most of the core that was around under Gainey.

6 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Bergevin inherited Gaineys team. Those division title's were with the core group That was develop under Gainey as gm.

PK, Price, Markov, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Plekenec.

You want to compare stats use Bergevin stats after he blow up the team and traded away most of the core that was around under Gainey.

Not the last tile, that was a mishmash with Patches, Price, (and Markov, Emelin) still around and the new core emerging: Danault, Lehkonen, Galcgenyuk, Drouin, Shaw, Byron, Weber, Petry, 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not the last tile, that was a mishmash with Patches, Price, (and Markov, Emelin) still around and the new core emerging: Danault, Lehkonen, Galcgenyuk, Drouin, Shaw, Byron, Weber, Petry, 

Ok so if you look at it , Bergevin record as gm should look like this.

Division titles won under Bergevin with his type of players drafted/traded for 1 out of 5 years 

Playoffs Made under Bergevin with his type of players  drafted/traded for  2 out of 5 years 

I just took the first 2 years out since those were still Gainey's team's.

Not saying that Gainey was perfect as GM he made some bone head moves/trades.

Bergevin has done a better job managing the cap then Gainey did. But Bergevin has also handed out some pretty bad long term contracts.

But Bergevin ture weakness I think is he just can't seem to add any top ufa's to this team.

Like I said Gainey's teams were better And deeper on the D side then any of Bergevin's team's.

Not ripping on Bergevin just tired of the same old thing year after year.

Edited by Habsfan89

51 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

But Bergevin ture weakness I think is he just can't seem to add any top ufa's to this team.

Is that Bergevin only? Thinking back to prior seasons, what big-name UFAs have we been able to add? Gionta? Cammalleri? Hamrlik? Even so, that's only three big names we have been able to attract into Montreal in a dozen years, regardless of the GM.

Media pressure. Fan pressure. Climate. Taxes. None of those are in our favour.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Media pressure. Fan pressure. Climate. Taxes. None of those are in our favour.

Also, have been a middling team since mid 90s, which really doesn't help neither.

I have pointed to fact have had ZERO all star forwards for almost a decade now and I bet wont win a cup till at least have 1 or 2 of those elite players up front to rely on.:spamafote:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Also, have been a middling team since mid 90s, which really doesn't help neither.

I have pointed to fact have had ZERO all star forwards for almost a decade now and I bet wont win a cup till at least have 1 or 2 of those elite players up front to rely on.:spamafote:

Rentals. That's what we'll need to rely on for a cup run. But first we need to be strong enough to at least be a credible playoff team, otherwise rentals don't make sense.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Like I said Gainey's teams were better And deeper on the D side then any of Bergevin's team's.

Not ripping on Bergevin just tired of the same old thing year after year.

I liked Gainey as GM, but like kicked him in the gut and he lost focus. PG screwed up the CH's propect pool and stinking up the team.

MB has been above average and learning on the job. This last re-build/reset has some promise, feels different with the depth of the prospect pool and the cap margin.

But until he fixes the hole at LD, he has not proven that he improved as a GM 

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Also, have been a middling team since mid 90s, which really doesn't help neither

Yep. Approaching 30 years of unremitting mediocrity. We had one Cinderella run in 2010 which petered out in the semi-finals, and one team that approached actual contention in 2014, but fizzled thereafter.

It's a fairly pathetic track-record on the whole, not too far from where the Leafs were by, say, the late 1990s. And as much as I'm as prone as anyone to go down the rabbit hole of "who was better, Gainey or MB?" the bottom line is this franchise has been a disappointment pretty much non-stop since 1993. Bergevin is just the latest in a long line of disappointments. But don't worry - he'll probably get around to fixing the LD right around the time Petry and Weber completely crater. 🙄

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I liked Gainey as GM, but like kicked him in the gut and he lost focus. PG screwed up the CH's propect pool and stinking up the team.

MB has been above average and learning on the job. This last re-build/reset has some promise, feels different with the depth of the prospect pool and the cap margin.

But until he fixes the hole at LD, he has not proven that he improved as a GM 

I agree wIth The fact the last two Years he'S done a great job rebuIlding the prospect pool.

But as I said he has yet to be able to sign any top 6 player through UFA as a gm. Also has had a hard time resigning top ufa's. Vank,  Markov, Radulov all left.

It will always be about the big club and he has yet been able to add to it other than Drouin and Petry.

I think that all we need to make a good cup run is a all star puck moving defensemen on the left side and a steady stay at home defensemen kind of like Gill was.  

Edited by Habsfan89