Satan knocking on the Bell Center's doors

thats not the first rumor about the habs being interessted in satan.. ie read 2- of them but now rds is reporting that yes indeed the habs have MADE an offer to the 666... why not? but that means (if satan signs with mtl) that kovy's days with the saint-flanelle are over.. satan is younger but i gotta admit i love kovalev. but if gainey is going after the devil satan that means kovalev is getting closer to pittsberg.

Originally posted by habsfan_69

Satan is a talented player but he is small where we need size up front but at this point ill take nething

He's not exactly small. Listed as 6'3" but he probably comes in at around 6'1-6'2.

He's very talented player.. look at what he's done with Daniel Briere centering him.. and imagine how he could do with a guy like Koivu and then his fellow countryman in Zednik.

I did some looking around because my french resembles german and found this english news on the subject.

Report: Habs after Satan

TheFourthPeriod.com

The Montreal Canadiens are apparently very interested in obtaining the services of offensive winger Miroslav Satan, TFP has learned.

In conjunction with a report by RDS.ca, Canada's French version of ESPN, the Canadiens have offered Satan a contract, along with four other teams.

Satan was let go by the Buffalo Sabres this past weekend after they declined to make him a qualifying offer.

In 704 career NHL games with Buffalo and Edmonton, Satan has registered 259 goals and 260 assists and 519 points.

He was originally drafted by the Oilers in the 5th round (111th overall) of the 1993 draft.

Meanwhile, the Canadiens will be speaking with both Jose Theodore and Mike Ribeiro in the coming days in hopes of locking them up to long-term deals.

The Canadiens are also extremely interested in bringing back Alexei Kovalev, with sources saying that would still be a possibility if the Habs sign another scoring forward.

I find it interesting that Kovalev would still be a possibility "IF the habs sign another scoring forward"

Satan's great, all he needs is support (not necessary physical), and he produces.

I think he was playing with Zednik during the World Championships, they did well before Zed got himself injured.

Well, to be honest, at the amount suggested, I wouldn't want him. 4.5 million for 70- 75 points, good grief.

I can see paying that to Koivu because his value is way much more than the points he can give.

Shoot, Zednik won't get that and he's somewhere in the same range as Satan.

Bottom line, no way for this guy at that price!!!

I'd like it if the habs sign him, but I don't feel he's worth $4M/season. He's probably in the 3.25-3.5 M range.

I'd also consider Kovalev a better fit, as he has more offensive ability.

Kovalev IS a better fit. He's already shown that he can play with some players on this team. When he got used to Julien's system and playing with Koivu and Zednik, he clicked well.

I'd go for Kovalev for sure. As for Satan, I'd be reluctant to consider him even at the salary you suggested... very reluctant.

More offensive ability than Kovalev ? doest it make a difference to argue about it ? withever sign with the CH will be more productive than the one that doesnt.

The price the CH end up paying...I dont care, but they do have to get someone signe-in..and that I care that they do.

Satan can certainly be one that would help...certainly as much as Kovalev could.

If we can't get Kovy, I'd make a deal with the devil.

I think he'd be a pretty good fit for the team. For some reason rumors of him landing in Montreal have been around for at least a couple years. So I can't see why it wouldn't happen... (besides money).

Satan would be a great fit, I'd love to see him with the HABS!

Kovalev and Satan, dmd, that's an awesome first line but I would be also not surprised if the HABS aren't spending that much money this year as lots of younger players will be available next year.

I hope you're right, habs fan. To my way of looking at things, its the wisest way to go. To act for the sake of acting or to look good in the circumstances? Not the best. Gainey could likely get someone but at what cost (and I don't just mean money here, there's more factors involved than that).

Originally posted by habsfan_69

Satan is kind of a flake if things arent going his way he doesnt perform i dont think i want that on my hockey team

I agree. I think satan is kind of a baby.

Talented guy, but what makes you think he would even want to play in Montreal?

Only if the money is the highest offer he gets, which I doubt it will be.

Does anyone remember when he deked the pants off Ed Belfour and then took his glove off and pretended he was on the phone? He's a flashy and conceited guy - I don't know if I want him on the habs.

habsfan19

http://www.habsblog.com/

I think his style of play and his speed would be an awesome fit with zednik and Koivu.

He is obviously a show boat but the Habs offer him more of a team environment than he had in Buffalo.

I personally think he would be atleast as good as Kovalev for us. Kovalevs has his own problems, I'm sure you remember!