Kovalev a Hab

KidRock

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

(Koivu is good, but he's not an elite talent.)

Really? Let's see how he does with talented wingers, some people think he is elite, you know. Anyway this should be a fantastic first line, I envy you guys who'll be able to watch Habs games.

But as far as I can tell (knocking wood) Kov's signing isn't official yet...

One of the biggest factors in a free agent's decision is the potential for winning a Cup. Having Kovalev, Koivu, Markov, Souray, and Theodore on hand makes the Habs a much more attractive proposition for other UFAs.

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

Really? Let's see how he does with talented wingers, some people think he is elite, you know. Anyway this should be a fantastic first line, I envy you guys who'll be able to watch Habs games.

Koivu has only surpassed 60 points once in his career, and has never even topped 25 goals. I realize he hasn't played many full seasons, but that's another story. I love Koivu as much as the next guy, but he's never become the great player we thought he would be. He's a good playmaker and a great guy, and one helluva fighter (cancer, not fist-to-cuffs).

Having a true finisher like Kovalev will surely help Koivu have a career year in assists though. That is why Kovy such a huge signing. Koivu has never been a great goal scorer, but he's a very good playmaker, and now he has a world-class talent to pass to. He won't have nearly as many "almost assists."

Originally posted by beckham

At least now it doesn't seem like they threw away Josef Balej and that second round draft pick...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Great trade by Montreal now... Balej isnt a sure thing at all either.

Geez, I go to sleep on the sofa for about an hour and this happens. ATTAGO!

Now this was the one to get. The others would have been not near as good. This guy proved he can play with our gang and enjoy playing with our gang. And four years too. Very nice... very nice.

:ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg:

Montreal Canadiens re-sign star winger Alexei Kovalev

posted August 3 @ 13:22, EST

MONTREAL (CP) - The Montreal Canadiens re-signed star winger Alexei Kovalev to an $18 million US, four-year contract Wednesday, a source told The Canadian Press.

The Russian sniper will earn $4.5 million a season.

Kovalev, one of the top forwards available on the unrestricted free-agent market, had other offers - including one from Pittsburgh - but decided to return to the Habs, where he had 10 points (6-4) in 11 playoff games in 2003-04 after being traded from the New York Rangers.

This is making my day

I believe that he will definitely have a great year. Remember no red line so that much more room plus he has speed and the moves so this is indeed a great signing for our beloved Habs !!

I think Kovy is great, but what happens if he pounds the puppy like he did when he was with the NYR, I would have signed him to a shorter deal.....good to hear he turned down Pittsburgh though...sounds like he loves the Habs.

i dont think kovy was going to go for a shorter deal. The top talents in the league are generally locking themselves in with soon to be unavailable salary numbers (i think the est. 1.8bil upon which the cap is based is pretty optimistic) before the market settles down.

GREAT !!

My favorite UFA Winger avallaible signed......for 4 years !

This signing is the direct result of his aquisition by Bob during the last hockey season.

I always thought that his liking of the CH and Montreal was genuine, he never forgat the ovation the fans gave him on his first appearance at the Bell Center.....and the fans deserved some credit for that one too.

Haaa... his scating, his moves and gracefull power got me addicted right away...I love the guy too and he should be a great guy to have around for Markov, Perezhogin and Kotsitsyn.