Nov. 16, Devils vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Refs aside, that game was a pile of garbage.  Our guys were lazy and undisciplined, and made a struggling team look better than they are.  There is no valid excuse for such a poor effort.

• Upvote 1

One of the worse reffed games I have seen in some time... they call all those weak penalties but not tripping on Subban? 

I agree on the non goal. But the refs called so many crap penalties there was no flow at all.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Refs aside, that game was a pile of garbage.  Our guys were lazy and undisciplined, and made a struggling team look better than they are.  There is no valid excuse for such a poor effort.

You're right.  Habs were junk and lost.  But holy bad reffing too.

Quite the circus tonight - from the 20 SA in the first, to the repeated ridiculous last-second breakdowns, to the bizarre reffing in the third, to Maclean's incoherent gibberish in the first intermission. I guess we can only quote PK Subban: ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED????

% of scoring chances vs opposition for the Habs:

1st period: 47%
2nd period: 50%
3rd period: 56%

% of even-strength scoring chances vs opposition for the Habs' forward lines:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher: 71%

Domi-Suzuki-Armia: 14%

Weal-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen: 29%
Hudon-Thompson-Cousins: 71%

New jersey had a ton of shots but i never felt like they had dangerous shots.  Shooting from outside with no traffic is never going in.

As for the call on danaults goal, its wrong.  The rule book specifically says "off the skate" and "distinct kicking motion" when looking at kicked in.  A goal off the thigh should count.

And the refs overall ruined the game.  They took away all flow in the third period.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I dont like domi on the wing.  Less creative.

Suzuki is better at centre than he is on the wing.

Domi is better at centre than he is on the wing.

Suzuki is better at wing than Domi is on the wing.

I hope Claude makes the adjustment for next game. 

Again, the refs were terrible... but Domi took two selfish penalties at a key moment in the 3rd. Habs should have been pushing for the 4th goal and and closing out the game. Instead the Devils tie it up while Domi is in the box for being a dumbass. Glad to see he realizes it. 

Hudon was sent back to Laval after the game, so presumably Byron will be good to go for Tuesday's game.

No word on if Julien personally drove Hudon back to Laval or just loudly sang "NA NA NA NA HEY HEY-EH GOODBYE" as Charles walked out the door. 

8 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Hudon was sent back to Laval after the game, so presumably Byron will be good to go for Tuesday's game.

No word on if Julien personally drove Hudon back to Laval or just loudly sang "NA NA NA NA HEY HEY-EH GOODBYE" as Charles walked out the door. 

Man I miss that song... we use to sing that song always in the forum... even in the first period before we had even scored. How intimidating it must of been to be serinated like that so early. Somehow though it got replaced by soccers Ole chant and is now only sung at the end of playoff series.

Again, I miss that sheer cockiness in our home

Danault's penalty was lazy as well. That's 2 straight penalties in 3on3 OT. At some point your gonna get burned.

I agree Comm, it was not enough to over turn and should of been  a good goal.

How does he get called for kicking when hes Lying on his back/side. Ridiculous call by the refs and guys in T.O. to overturn that one

So not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but hopefully a learning experience. It seems that everyone in the room recognized that they could and should have won the game.

Still, we're at 26 points from 20 games, second in the division (thanks Leafs!) and fourth in the east. A very reasonable start for a fight for the playoffs. So I went to look at where we were last year this time, and I stumbled onto Don's very handy post:

image.png

More or less we are matching last year so far. That's in spite of having Weber from day 1, although arguably he was only "half a Weber" until maybe a few weeks ago.

We lost Juulsen (effectively for the season) just a few days later. Hopefully Drouin's injury is minor and he'll be back soon.

But as last year's experience shows, being in second place (in division) a quarter of the way in is no guarantee of a playoff spot. We're still very much a bubble team, and there is little margin for error (or lack of discipline).

• Like 1

still think it should have been PK in the penalty box for a tripping penalty. Maybe Danault should not have talked to the officials during the break leading up to o/t. Soft game overall and the bizarre officiating of calling nothing for most of the game and then everything is puzzling. I agree the waved off goal was pushed in with his thigh but my lord, where was the tripping call on Subban that created the whole scenario.?

11 minutes ago, miklin said:

still think it should have been PK in the penalty box for a tripping penalty. Maybe Danault should not have talked to the officials during the break leading up to o/t. Soft game overall and the bizarre officiating of calling nothing for most of the game and then everything is puzzling. I agree the waved off goal was pushed in with his thigh but my lord, where was the tripping call on Subban that created the whole scenario.?

A fair point - but one thing that is pretty obvious is that refs generally let all kinds of crap go when it's right in front of the net. And as much as I inveigh against 'old-school' slice and dice hockey, that area probably should be a bit of a war zone. What seems egregious is, as Commandant points out, the wacky interpretation of 'kick' in that decision. Amazing how they have all this technology and boring, gane-slowing processes of verification and still manage to cock it all up.

Technically, by the letter (rather than the spirit!) of the rules, I think the goal should have been allowed.

A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net with his skate/foot.

The rules specifically refer to the skate and foot, not leg or thigh.

But this horse is definitely dead so I think I'll stop beating it now.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Technically, by the letter (rather than the spirit!) of the rules, I think the goal should have been allowed.

The rules specifically refer to the skate and foot, not leg or thigh.

But this horse is definitely dead so I think I'll stop beating it now.

Years ago, in some game against the Leafs, a Habs player kicked the puck. It banked off a Leafs player, whose motion redirected the puck into the net. The goal was disallowed because it was a kick. What was interesting - and this is the reason I remember it - was that the English broadcast argued that it was a clear-cut case for disallowance, while the French broadcast argued that it should be allowed because the kick was not what put the puck in the net - rather it was steered into the net by the Leafs player.

I don't know why I bring that up, other than as an amusing example of the way there is always room for interpretation.

What if Danault had been angled differently and had thrust out his butt in such a way that the puck banked off it and into the net? Or his hip? Would that also be a "kick?" Or how about if I give it a soccer kick and it bounces off two guys on the way to the net? Or I kick it and a player sticks out his stick, the puck caroms off the stick and in? Etc.

We might feel more tolerant of the verdict on this goal if the reffing in general had not been a complete sh*t-show last night.

On another note, how do people feel about the fact that the Devils ran Kinkaid with impunity for half the night and there was no Habs' response? I'm pretty sure that if that were Price in nets, we'd be apoplectic.

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Years ago, in some game against the Leafs, a Habs player kicked the puck. It banked off a Leafs player, whose motion redirected the puck into the net. The goal was disallowed because it was a kick. What was interesting - and this is the reason I remember it - was that the English broadcast argued that it was a clear-cut case for disallowance, while the French broadcast argued that it should be allowed because the kick was not what put the puck in the net - rather it was steered into the net by the Leafs player.

(...) Or how about if I give it a soccer kick and it bounces off two guys on the way to the net? Or I kick it and a player sticks out his stick, the puck caroms off the stick and in? Etc.

They do cover that possibility (of deflection) in the rules:

A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official.

Now, whether it was a mere deflection or was actually directed gets to be a subjective interpretation ...

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

On another note, how do people feel about the fact that the Devils ran Kinkaid with impunity for half the night and there was no Habs' response? I'm pretty sure that if that were Price in nets, we'd be apoplectic.

The lack of response bothered me.  After the second big collision, I was thinking that the next Devil to make contact should be hammered into the ice without mercy to send a message.