Is Gainey Done???

habsfan_69

He sounded like he was done during today's press conference in terms of signing UFAs to fill spots on his priority list. He mentionned that he was concerned about Huet's injury and that if it reveals itself to be something long term that they would be in the market for a backup goalie.

Depending on what happens to other teams and their salary caps (i.e. the Flyers having to trade high priced players to stay under the cap), I think Gainey might consider making a trade if it's the right one. I'm sure he'll ask about Gagne, that would be amazing for Montreal if we could get him for a couple of prospects, which is what the Flyers will have to settle for.

Some people here mentionned a rumor of Ribeiro and Theo for Lecavalier and Kubina... I really don't think Gainey wants to trade Theo, especially afetr hearing him during the press conference.

although i love flashy signings you have to wonder where exactly to put everyone if they add a scoring winger... especially if you want to give AP, Higgins, or AK a shot...

Done forget about bulis and sundstrom as probable 3rd line mates to bonk... if the theory is youth movement you really need to leave a scoring line spot vacant.

Originally posted by KidRock

There are still rumblings about Selanne, Worrell and to a lesser extent Kariya

Selanne: No thanks. He's past his prime. Sure it would be "nice" for Koivu and Selanne to re-unite, but how successful would they be together? Honestly. I'm not interested at all.

Kariya: There have been alot of rumours connecting him to the habs the past couple of days. If he could be had for 2 million or less I'd take him in an instant, if it costs more we'd probably have to trade Zednik to make room. But I can easily live without him, I want Perezhogin to have a spot on the top-2 lines. Kariya to Edmonton is the rumour right now.

Peter Worrell: I'd love to sign him (as long as its for less then 1 million). Finally a goon who's one of the best in the game and can intimidate other players/teams. I wouldnt play him 82 games a year, but it would be nice to have the option to play Worrell when we need him.

Originally posted by Chuko

He sounded like he was done during today's press conference in terms of signing UFAs to fill spots on his priority list.  He mentionned that he was concerned about Huet's injury and that if it reveals itself to be something long term that they would be in the market for a backup goalie.

I think Gainey might consider making  a trade if it's the right one.  

I agree with what you say here. Not likely any more signings but a trade is possible. There's quite a few back-up goalies available, some of them UFAs.

In any case, as always, I expect Gainey to do the beat he can.

Originally posted by puck7x

Peter Worrell: I'd love to sign him (as long as its for less then 1 million). Finally a goon who's one of the best in the game and can intimidate other players/teams. I wouldnt play him 82 games a year, but it would be nice to have the option to play Worrell when we need him.

We'd only end up getting Andreas Lilja instead. :guru:

Why not Worrell?

I think having a goon is useless, unless they are a guy such as Langdon who can also play the game and is a leader.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see Peter Worrell as a leader and a good hockey player.

I'd rather have a fourth line made up of three gritty, hardworking guys than of plugs who can't even move around the ice. Rolling four lines is a nice thing to be able to do.

Worrell would get into too much trouble in Montreal... lol. Downtown + Worrell = Potential law suits.

Kidding, I don't really know if he's that bad.

Anywayz... whats this about trading Zednik?... lol I'd die... :P

I wonder if he'd consider a trade for Roman Hamrlik. I don't know who would be appropriate 'trade bait' for such a deal.

Just curious.

Originally posted by shortcat1

I wonder if he'd consider a trade for Roman Hamrlik. I don't know who would be appropriate 'trade bait' for such a deal.

Just curious.

Hamrlik is a UFA, so he'd just have to sign him.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not Worrell?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think having a goon is useless, unless they are a guy such as Langdon who can also play the game and is a leader.

Langdon was able to play the game? I think not. The guy had 15 goals in about 500 games and could barely skate. Peter Worrell was slightly more effective with 20 goals in 390 games. I'd rather have Worrell, but I doubt he's coming to Montreal.

In fact I think Gainey is done for the year, and is just trying to sign Theodore, Ryder, Ribeiro et al to longer term contracts. He thinks this team can make a run for the playoffs and go fairly deep. THe next deal Montreal makes will be next year at Vincent Lecavalier if hes an unrestricted free agent...although unfortunatley I think Montreal would have to do a lot of juggling to fit his salary in.

Originally posted by puck7x

There are still rumblings about Selanne, Worrell and to a lesser extent Kariya

Selanne: No thanks. He's past his prime. Sure it would be "nice" for Koivu and Selanne to re-unite, but how successful would they be together? Honestly. I'm not interested at all.

Whats with everybody saying "Reunite" when it comes to Selläne and Koivu? They've only played together a few games in the finnish national team. NEVER in a club team.

I'm wondering why Huet hasn't flown back to Montreal to have the Habs doctors check out his knee? Gainey mentioned that they're not exactly sure how long it will take, perhaps because they're basing it on what his doctor has said is the usual prognosis for this type of surgery.

Gainey mentioned that they may want to get a replacement goalie if Huet would take longer than 6 weeks into the season to be ready. I'm not sure who will be available if the Habs have to wait too long into the free agency period. I'd rather see Dannis get the chance to play.

Would probably be a great experience for him. I think They are allowed to keep a junior for a certain period of time in the event of injury to a regular NHLer without altering the prospect status of the junior. They carried Olivier Michaud with the parent team back when he was an 18 year old for a few weeks.

That would be interesting. Could also be a bit of a set-back for Danis who's much more mature and ready than Price is at this time.