Players heading overseas

dlbalr

ANAHEIM: Fredrik Olausson-Sweden, Peter Podhradsky-Czech Republic, Jonathan Hedstrom-Sweden, German Titov-Russia

ATLANTA: Norm Maracle-Russia, Per Svartvadet-Sweden, Juri Butsayev-Russia, Andreas Karlsson-Switzerland, Lubos Bartecko-Slovakia

BOSTON: Jarno Kultanen-Finland

BUFFALO: Radoslav Hecl-Slovakia, Peter Ratchuk-Germany

CALGARY: Ladislav Kohn- Finland, Mike Martin-Russia

CAROLINA: Mike Watt-Russia, Tommy Westlund-Sweden, Greg Kuznik-England, Kaspars Astashenko-Latvia

CHICAGO: Matt Henderson-Germany, Sami Helenius-Finland

COLORADO: Eric Bertrand-Germany, Jeff Shantz-Switzerland, Dale Clarke-Finland

COLUMBUS: Jean-François Labbe-Russia, Darren Van Impe-Germany, Paul Manning-Germany, Hannes Hyvonen-Sweden

DALLAS: Alexei Komarov-Russia, Corey Hirsch-Germany, David Gosselin-Germany

DETROIT: Dmitri Bykov-Russia, Stacy Roest-Switzerland, Bryan Adams-Germany

EDMONTON: Kari Haakana-Sweden, Jiri Dopita-Czech Republic

FLORIDA: Tyrone Garner-Germany, Dimitri Tolkunov-Russia, Jeff Toms-Russia, Jim Campbell-Russia

LOS ANGELES: Mikko Eloranta-Finland, Jamie Storr-Russia

MINNESOTA: Hnat Domenichelli-Switzerland, Jean-Guy Trudel-Switzerland, Ladislav Benysek-Finland, Lubomir Sekeras-Russia, Rastislav Pavlikovsky-Sweden, Tony Virta-Finland

MONTREAL: Eric Landry-Switzerland, Mathieu Descoteaux-Finland

NASHVILLE: Jere Karalahti-Finland, Cameron Mann-Germany, Oleg Petrov-Switzerland, Vitali Yachmenev-Russia, Erik Andersson-England, Denis Pederson-Germany, Todd Warriner-Finland

NEW JERSEY: Ken Sutton-Germany, Oleg Tverdovsky-Russia

NEW YORK: Ales Pisa-Russia, Vladimir Chebaturkin-Russia, Dixon Ward-Switzerland

OTTAWA: Joe Murphy-Finland, Brad Smyth-Russia, Bob Wren-Germany, Toni Dahlman-Finland

PHILADELPHIA: Mark Greig-Germany, Tomi Kallio-Sweden

PHOENIX: Peter Fabus-Czech Republic

PITTSBURGH: Vladimir Vujtek-Finland, Robbie Tallas-Finland, Micki DuPont-Germany, Mattias Johansson-Sweden, Richard Lintner-Sweden, Hans Jonsson-Sweden

ST. LOUIS: Jason Dawe-Finland, Shjon Podein-Sweden, Daniel Tkachuk-Finland

TORONTO: Jonas Hoglund-Sweden

VANCOUVER: Peter Skudra-Russia, Chris Herperger-Germany, Denis Martynyuk-Russia, Justin Kurtz-Germany, John Craighead-England, Herbert Vasiljevs-Russia

WASHINGTON-Glen Metropolit-Finland, Andreas Salomonsson-Sweden, Dmitry Yushkevich-Russia

I will update this list as needed, please let me know if there are any errors/omissions.

[Edited on 2003/11/21 by dlbalr]

[Edited on 2004-12-29 by sakiqc]

• 2 weeks later...

If I dont remember wrong Tomi Kallio played in sweden the last part of last season and that he hasnt decided if he is going to stay in sweden... Im not sure about this but I think he was the one playing in Västra Frölunda in sweden.

Kallio is staying in Sweden. Västra Frölunda.

Niclas Kronwall and Mattias Tjärnqvist has signed NHL contracts.

Kronwall with Deitroit and Tjänqvist with Dallas. Mattias older brother Daniel plays for Atlanta.

Per-Anton Lundström is also ready for Dallas.

Transactions from Sweden is now closed.

Peter Nordström turned Boston down during the last hour.

I think Kronwall will be succesfull. He won't be a star but a solid defencemen.

Anyone remembering me talking about Pierre Hedin? He will play in Toronto next season. Not a new Lidström but could be something...

Originally posted by ch_nl

Kallio is staying in Sweden. Västra Frölunda.

Do you have a source on that? I know he went to Finland during the season (had him in my pool then :( ), and my sources all have him listed as going to Finland.

Calle said to the Swedish newspaper Göteborgsposten today that he won't play for a team thats not in the race for the cup.

He also said that the only club for him to play in if he comes back to Sweden it's Västra Frölunda.

Calle Johansson had a meeting with Frölundas coach Conny Evensson yesterday and all the experts places him in Västra Frölunda the coming season.

Have you seen Petrov play in the Swiss leauge?

Or are you just quoting someone?

Gretzky?

Petrov played well but to compare him with Gretzky... Na.

I remember when the Habs brought Oleg back in Montreal.. newspaper La Presse made a very long article about him. Basically, they said Petrov was a real hero in the Swiss league, and he was totally dominating. He was well known and recognized when walking on the streets.

It's sure nobody can be another Gretzky.. but the comparison meaned that he was the greatest player of the league. I suppose it's what they wanted to say.

But I saw Petrov play in Switzerland and sure he was one of the better players but realize that that the Swizz leauge was no better than... hmm... Can't think of any.

And he didn't dominate. He was the best player on the ice but so would Juha Lind also if he played in Switzerland.

• 2 weeks later...

MoDo is doing business. Again.

In a couple of years MoDo will have one of the best team team outside NHL.

Maybe as good as a NHL team.

Andreas "Salle" Salomonsson, Washington Capitals signed a 4 year deal with MoDo today.

MoDo, the club that bought Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund, Mattias Weinhandl, Andreas Eriksson, Pierre Hedin, Hans Jonsson, Samuel Phålsson, Niklas Sundström, Per Svartvadet and Mattias Timander are building a team that could really be interesting.

The are counting on having Forsberg back in a few years. And when Forsbergs leaves the NHL more will follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Djurgårdens IF has signed Richard Lintner.

Lintner played for Slovakia in World Championship in Finland.

He also played for Sloviakian national team in the last Olympics.

ch_nl, although I trust you on this (you've proven me wrong already), can I get a link on the Lintner signing? Lintner re-signed with Pittsburgh on June 23rd, so I find kind of strange that he'd sign an NHL deal, and then bolt overseas.

is also heading over seas.

He said that he is a bit disapointed but accepted.

Johansson started last season played for Calgary Flames. But got traded to Pitsburgh.

So after a just one year in the NHL Johansson will be back with Färjestads BK.

Oleg Tverdovsky has joined the Avangard Omsk team in Russia. It is reported that it's a one-year deal, and that there is a clause that states that he cannot sign a deal with an NHL team or any other club.

Переговоры 27-летнего защитника Олега Твердовского с "Авангардом" продолжались около месяца. Главное, на чем настаивал омский клуб, - не может быть речи о так называемом страховочном контракте. Если хоккеист подписывает договор, он играет в чемпионате России в течение того срока, который указан в соглашении.

- Контракт, который заключил Твердовский, отличается от того, который в июле подписал другой НХЛовец - Даниил Марков с "Ладой", - пояснил вчера агент хоккеиста Сергей Исаков в беседе с корреспондентом "СЭ" Александром ШАПИРО. - В соглашении Твердовского есть пункт, что в ближайшие два сезона он не имеет права заключать контракт ни с одним из клубов НХЛ или России. Нигде, кроме Омска, он в этот срок играть не будет.

- Из российских клубов Твердовским интересовался только "Авангард"?

- Было еще два предложения, но руководство "Авангарда" оказалось наиболее заинтересованным в его услугах.

- Когда Твердовский летит в Омск?

- В понедельник. 31 августа в составе своей новой команды проведет первый матч - на Мемориале Блинова.

Олег ТВЕРДОВСКИЙ, защитник "Авангарда":

- Я всерьез намеревался вернуться в Россию, и предложение "Авангарда" меня вполне устроило. Это один из ведущих клубов страны, в составе которого хотелось бы завоевать медали. Насколько мне известно, ключевую роль в том, что подписание контракта стало возможным, сыграл председатель совета директоров клуба Роман Абрамович.

English Translation:

The negotiations of the 27-year defender of Oleg Tverdovskiy with the "advance guard" continued approximately one month.The main thing, on what insisted Omsk cloud/club, cannot be speech about the so-called insurance contract.If hockey player signs agreement, he plays in the championship of Russia during that period, which is indicated in the agreement. - the contract, which concluded Tverdovskiy, differs from that, which during July signed another Of nKhLovets - Danil Markov with The "ladoy", explained yesterday the agent of hockey player Sergey Isakov in the conversation with the correspondent "Se" by Aleksandr SHAPIRO.- in the agreement Of tverdovskogo to eat a point/item, that into the nearest two seasons it has a right to conclude contract not with one of clubs NKHL or Russia.Nowhere, besides Omsk, it within this period play will be. - from the Russian clouds/clubs In tverdovskim was interested only "advance guard"? - there was two additional proposals, but the management/manual of "advance guard" proved to be most interested in its services. - when Tverdovskiy does fly to Omsk? - on Monday.On 31 August in the composition of its new command will conduct the first match - on blinov's memorial. Oleg IS TVERDOVSKIY, The defender Of "advance guard": - I in earnest intended to return to Russia, and the proposal of "advance guard" me completely arranged.this is one of the leading clouds/clubs of the country, in composition of which it would be desirable to earn medals.As far as to me it is known, key role in the fact that the signing of contract became possible, played the chairman of the council of the directors of cloud/club novel Abramovich.

http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?73049

Originally posted by dlbalr

Oleg Tverdovsky has joined the Avangard Omsk team in Russia.  It is reported that it's a one-year deal, and that there is a clause that states that he cannot sign a deal with an NHL team or any other club.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-t...ov=ap&type=lgns

Well that's pretty sad. He was one of the most talented offensive d-man in the NHL. Some would say he had too much pressure after being traded for Selanne and after receiving a 4M$ contract. Despite his problems in the defensive zone, he had to be considered as a threat by the opposite team. It's weird how a player's value can drop that fast.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by ch_nl

Here's a funny one...

Shjon Podein has signed with Växjö Lakers.

A team in the Swedish second division.

I just can't believe it...

Wow his career sure went downhill...

I could understand about signing with a FIRST DIVISON Swedish team , but a 2nd one? Whats the point? Why not just play in ECHL? Or Quebec Semi-Pro league. lol ...

Ouch

Is it common for former NHL'ers to sign in the 2nd division?