Habs sign D Mark Streit

puck7x

Great signing. I was really hoping Gainey would improve our depth on D, and signing Streit does that.

In case you dont know who Streit is...

He's a 5'11 190lb skilled D. He's 27 years old, he's Swiss. He plays both LD and RD (naturally left) . He had a great offensive year in the Swiss league, he was the captain of his countrys team at the World Hockey Championships and one of the best D's in the tourney (a tourney filled with NHL's)

So... Are Hainsey's days numbered? The habs have 8 D's now. No way we keep more then 7 on the roster.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't kid yourselves. He came over to play in N.A. when he was 21 and was nothing special in the AHL. He should do better this time round, obviously, as he is more experienced and is up to 6-0, 201 pounds according to his team website. Similar to Dandenault or Buoillon, in that he is stocky, very mobile, and a good puck handler. But by no means will he be an elite NHL defenseman, so don't start getting rid of Hainsey or Rivet. Both of those players will be around long after Streit, Dandenault, and Bouillon are gone.

Originally posted by beckham

Don't kid yourselves. He came over to play in N.A. when he was 21 and was nothing special in the AHL. He should do better this time round, obviously, as he is more experienced and is up to 6-0, 201 pounds according to his team website. Similar to Dandenault or Buoillon, in that he is stocky, very mobile, and a good puck handler. But by no means will he be an elite NHL defenseman, so don't start getting rid of Hainsey or Rivet. Both of those players will be around long after Streit, Dandenault, and Bouillon are gone.

its not that i think streit is an elite defenseman, its that I dont think rivet is an elite defenseman either. Streit is at least younger and cheaper. I dont necessarily think streit is the best man for the job to take over rivet, but getting rid of his contract would have cleared cap and roster space for someone else.

I'm not high on Hainsey at all. If I beleived Hainsey could become an elite D I would not get rid of him in favour of Streit. Its just a difference of opinions betwen you and I on what we think Hainsey will become.

I do not expect Streit to be a Star (at least not for this season ;) ) , I expect him to be a quality #5-7 depth player. I have realistic expectations I think.

[Edited on 2005-8-4 by puck7x]

That was almost six years ago. From what I've read, he's in the Brian Rafalski mode (maybe not as good) but good enough to be a team captain and have an outstanding contribution in his league.

He may be 'just a depth player' but he promises to be a very good depth player at worst.

:ghg:

Here's hoping Streit can push Hainsey to step up or leave. With the new rules, smarts & mobility are gaining premium and Hainsey isnt too good in either departments. He's got million dollar skills but a 2 cents brain.

As for Rivet, dont expect him to adapt well to the new game style. He has decent mobility but isnt too smart defensively. His lack of puck skills might become a handicap in a more open game. I mean... his only move is to shoot the puck in the glass to clear the zone and he misses half the time he tries. His best skill right now is to be Saku's buddy.

[Edited on 4-8-2005 by ap79]

Originally posted by KidRock

Streit will be in Hamilton in case Hainsey falters or someone gets hurt

Streit has a one-way contract. If we send him down he'll have to clear waivers. I dont think the habs went to all the trouble of signing him just to lose him on waivers. Streit only agreed to sign IF we gave him a one-way deal.

Streit will be in Hamilton in case Hainsey falters or someone gets hurt  

Mark signed a one-way contract and he only signed it because he wanted to play in the NHL only. He said that he never wants to play in the AHL again as it would be a step back for him. I can see him as a solid 3rd pairing d-man, who should be better than Hainsey.

I really like the signing - Hopp Schwitz!!! :clap:

In all fairness, Hainsey should be given a good shot to really prove himself....he's still too young to give up on  

He'll get his chance but I suppose he won't even beat the stick boy for his job this pre-season ... :P

In all fairness, Hainsey should be given a good shot to really prove himself....he's still too young to give up on

Too young but getting old... Hossa too...

They both got drafted in 2000. I think BG ordered a wake up call for them.

According to a radio interview he gave in Switzerland, he said himself that it was a two way contract, but that he expected to stick in the NHL. Most NHL teams carry 7 defenseman even without injuries (or holdouts:idea. At best they would have Rivet, Markov, Souray, Komisarek, Bouillon, Dandenault, Hainsey, Streit. You have to figure that at any given time at least one of them would not be available to play, and if they all were, then someone sits. It's not like that situation has never existed before.

[Edited on 2005/8/4 by beckham]

I like Bouillon but the way Hainsey played the second half of last season for Jarvis he (Hainsey) should be ahead of Bouillon on the depth chart...atleast for the start of the season

According to a radio interview he gave in Switzerland, he said himself that it was a two way contract, but that he expected to stick in the NHL. Most NHL teams carry 7 defenseman even without injuries (or holdouts:idea. At best they would have Rivet, Markov, Souray, Komisarek, Bouillon, Dandenault, Hainsey, Streit. You have to figure that at any given time at least one of them would not be available to play, and if they all were, then someone sits. It's not like that situation has never existed before.

I haven't heard anything about a two-way contract and I highly doubt that he has signed one. As I said before, he surely wouldn't like to play in the AHL, he only signed because he wants to be in the NHL.

050804-17.jpg

[Edited on 4-8-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

A Swiss poster on another board mentioned it, and later verified it when someone questioned him.

Okay, well thats good news. But it still doesnt solve the waivers problem.