Habs sign D Mark Streit

puck7x

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've just watched the SF daily sport clip (Suisse television) and they clearly say that he has signed a one-way contract, which means that he can't be put to the AHL. Streit also said this in the clip and so it should be true ... :D

http://real.xobix.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vod/spak...end=0:07:26.275

I know it's German but hey, just wanted to give you a source ... ;)

Originally posted by KidRock

Streit will be in Hamilton in case Hainsey falters or someone gets hurt

I'm pretty certain that I read that he would only accept if he was offered a one-way contract. http://www.chfans.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8336 (ninth question).

I read a swiss report saying that he signed one way...

The guy wouldn't come here if he risked playing in AHL, he's a STAR in swiss, why suffer the bus ride of the AHL and being paid 60k.. when he's paid 500k in swiss and take the private plane of the team???

I believe the guy is a sure shot in the lineup. He'll outplay 1/2 of our Ds at training camp (good wake up call to some of these)

...whatever, it doens't change anything if he is on a one or two way contract. Just means they have to pay him more if they send him to the AHL. Or lose him and spend nothing more on him. Or have him refuse the demotion and go back home voiding the contract. If all 8 of the defensemen are healthy and available at one time (unlikely) they just sit one out or move Dandenault up to the wing on the fourth line.:eyes:

This means the Habs have 8 d-men, and none of the ones on the border can go to the AHL without waivers. I think Hainsey deserves one last chance, I mean, look at what Ribs did with his last chance!

As it stands though, it looks as if Hainsey is gone. I wish him well, all he needs is a little less fun in his life. ;)

Originally posted by simonus

makes one kinda wish they had bought out rivet...

Is 05/06 going to be the last year on Rivet's obscene contract?

Originally posted by simonus

nope, rivet has another year after that according to HW contract listings.

dang!

:wall:

Well maybe he'll surprise us this year. In any case the Streit signing seems to have pleased everyong here, so it can't be bad.

The report I read on TSN stated that he signed an entry level contract. In the past that has always meant a 2-way contract. I would be shocked if they gave Streit a 1-way contract, since they don't know for sure what kind of condition he's in to be able to handle the rigours of an 82 game schedule.

I believe that 1-way contracts for any new players [eg. junior and college graduates, first time european players] are a thing of the past, as noone will want to count that money against the cap if the players don't pan out right away. It's too big of a risk.

I can't find the TSN article, the might have deleted it right away (like the Lapointe signing to Ottawa).

Anyways, like they said in the interview with Streit, he has signed a one-way contract. But we'll know it for sure as soon at it will be officialy announced by the HABS.

BTW. Streit has the same birthday as I've .. Go Mark Go!!! :D

This interview was from just after Streit was drafted. It's interesting because it gives a little insight. It's in francais, so a translation website will be necessary for some of you.

http://www.chfans.com/in_comments.php?t=8336

I really think Streit will be a great fit in this "new" NHL. I'm sure he will only be a back-up D... but it gives Julien the option of benching a guy every so often if they don't bring their A-game.

I look forward to seeing him play in camp.

This morning's paper is clear and Sreit as signed a two-way contract.

It seems that the new CBA as managed to make it the standard way to sign for any new players entering the league.

Streit himself explained that his reluctance in signing such contract had been weeker than his desire to play for the CH in the NHL.

Of course, for the CH, this is a very good situation.

I gess the Vandermeer signing is similar in form as well.

Those two no name career type players player could actually acheived their own dream and bring the type of similar help required by the CH at a fraction of the price of some knowne UFA, ( Lapointe, Brisebois, etc).

I can see some advantage of mobility over weight for our defensive players as they will try to follow and contain players benefiting a larger offensive zone to exibit their prowess.

Low mobility defencement using the hook might not be the fashion of the futur althought big slowish offensive style player will probably need their equivalant to conteract them efficiently.

But since John Leclair type player might not be the as successfull in the futur compared to lighter quicker type, its no time to pill-up huge inertia prowned defencements to matched the up tempo a go go of the future.

Bouillon's assets mite actually increased in such context.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha ok you'll have to excuse the title I couldn't resist.

Seems the habs have just signed a Swiss player:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=134522

Mark Streit, 27, seems like he did alright the last couple years in the Swiss Elite league.

Think this guy is a contender to crack the habs lineup or is he destined to spend a year with the bulldogs?

http://www.forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey/player.cgi?4907

Notice the C on his jersey. :clap:

I think he's definitely a contender. Could be a big surprise and a real solid player, but if not he makes for nice depth and puts the pressure on a guy like Hainsey to perform.

Put up great numbers in the Swiss league, but then again... it is the Swiss league. Who knows though, he could post 30 points and score 10 goals. He's not tall, but he's fairly well built (198 lbs).

He's also a lefty. Could he be a upgrade on Bouillon? I hear Streit is an offensive minded guy who skates well. Sounds kinda like the Cube, except bigger and maybe not as willing to throw that weight around. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him play.

[Edited on 2005/8/25 by jl.roberts]