Theodore + Ryder for Luongo...?

TheAussiePosse

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu
Originally posted by PMAC

Also, why would we trade an excellent-- still young-- goalie who thrives on the pressure in Montreal ?

Errrrr, ummm

playoffs 2004 :monkey:

What, you mean how single handedly he acchieved to beat 2004 Calder Winner and How he stood on his head to come back from a (first time in habs history) 1-3 deficit in playoffs???

Yeah, I totally agree.

Originally posted by alexstream
Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu
Originally posted by PMAC

Also, why would we trade an excellent-- still young-- goalie who thrives on the pressure in Montreal ?

Errrrr, ummm

playoffs 2004 :monkey:

What, you mean how single handedly he acchieved to beat 2004 Calder Winner and How he stood on his head to come back from a (first time in habs history) 1-3 deficit in playoffs???

Yeah, I totally agree.

I have no intention of bashing theo or suggesting that he be traded or any nonsence like that!

However, Theo was weak in those playoffs both bruins and lightning. Yes he played a couple of good games but he played more than a couple of piss poor ones too.

My comment was more directed at the idea that theo loves the pressure.

Bottom line is theo will be here and will never be traded. Barring a Roy style outburst ofcourse.

First of all, Theo's work in the 2004 playoffs was one of the major reasons the team was able to come back and post the upset. I dont think any of his games were " piss-poor" although as with any goalie there were a few he would have liked to have back.

Second, the version of the rumour reported by the Gazette today was that the hold-up on this alleged deal was Keenan's insistance that Ryder be included. Thank God Houle's not in charge any more or the Habs would give Florida Theo, Ryder and a draft pic for Luongo.

BTW, the proposed rationale for the deal doesnt make sense to me as both players will be unrestricted next season. It would be ridiculous for BG to include Ryder in such a trade. I think it is BS

have followed and believed in Theodore since that magnificent game against New Jersey when as an inexperienced keeper he took over for Thibault. But trust me on this, he didn't play to his potential in the 2004 playoffs.

Sure the team came back from a 1-3 deficit, but had Theo played up to his billing, we would have been up 3-1! He also sold his team in the Tampa series. Most notably that overtime goal scored by Dan Boyle (or was it Richards?) after Lecavalier had tied it with 17seconds left. I don't even want to remember that.

Anyway, this is most probably just a rumor, and nothing more. But, if for any reason there is some validity to it I'm sure that Gainey will look into it. It makes sense for Montreal, but Ryder might be a bit too much to pay. If we could get a prospect in return it might make more sense, but all that talk about the Habs asking for Boumeester in return is just crazy. There is no way in hell that Florida will give up on a player of that stature, unless Keenan is on some serious Prozzak...

This deal is looking more and more realistic it seems. Peronsally, as much as I like Luongo, i hope it doesn't go through because Ryder is great.... well hopefully he stays great.

Although.... he is a leaf fan... BAGH

i hope this rumour goes away. i'd rather gainey offer a low salary 3.5-4 for 1-yr and put theo in the position to prove he's either worth the big money as a UFA next year or not. if theo is THAT good, BG will have to offer the 6-6.5, but at least everyone will know he earned it - then it will be to theo to decide if he wants 6.5 from mtl or from wherever. unless any trade is conditional upon locking up luongo for a long time - this just doesn't seem like progress for the habs.

if you offer theo 3.5/1yr he will sit and you have basically kissed away your chance of ever signing him as an UFA. If I were theo I would demand a trade and/or sign anywhere but MTL once i was UFA. You can't insult a vezina goaltender like that.

Lowballing your award winning goalie is not the way to go.

Two questions:

1. Why do people think Luongo will take much less than Theo? With his play and reputation he will be asking for similar money

2. What is with this Ryder is a Leaf fan stuff? Roberts and Nieundyk were Leaf fans all of their lives, but they played exceptionally well for other teams and they left when the offers were not adequate from TO.

My point is childhood alliegances are pretty much irrelevant in modern sports except to fans like us.

I saw it on TSN last night too. It seemed (atleast to me) that they were suggesting Luongo's agent started this rumour because he wants lots of $.

The trade as posted is nonsense. Theo AND Ryder......No freaking way. Ryder could be the next superstar, it's too early to tell.

If Gainey makes that trade just like that, then he earns the monkey = :monkey:

this would be a horrible trade for montreal. theodore is better than luongo and trading ryder right now would be a horrible mistake. this is the kind of trade you would expect of irving grundman serge savard or rejean houle. not sam pollock or bob gainey.

ch_nl, in my opinion theo is better although one could argue either way. i think theo is more likely to carry a team through the playoffs someday soon. you are right about ryder being the part that makes no sense. too many times montreal has traded guys or included them in deals right before they blossom somewhere else, and in this case ryder appears ready to blossom in montreal. so i for one am sure hoping they keep him.

good point. and he'll prolly get even better. kinda off topic but i remember koivu being tied for league scoring one year early in his career and then suffering a bad knee or leg injury and never quite being the same...hopefully ryder will avoid the same fate.

I know he's played on some lamentable teams, but the questions are:

1. How many play-off series, vezinas etc has luongo won?

Answer 0

Eklund (for whatever it's worth)

is saying that rumours regarding a Theo for Luongo deal are starting to circulate again.

Rarely do we ever see a deal with two superstar up and coming goalies being exchanged but anything is possible.

Aside from play, getting Luongo might put Gainey in a better salary cap position, as IMO he'll have to settle for at least 1M less per year than THeo.

Eklund is a chicken, all this rumour sites are nonsene. There are even guys who pay for this Eklund "super inside" stuff ... :monkey:

BTW. This guy mentioned several teams which are the only ones after Selänne - and bumm - Selänne signs with the Ducks and surprisingly this team wasn't on Eklund's list.