Gustav Olofsson recalled

dlbalr

With Mike Reilly and Brett Kulak struggling, the Habs are trying someone else on the back end as Gustav Olofsson has been recalled.  Paul Byron has been transferred to IR to make room on the roster.  With Christian Folin still on the active roster (he counts against the 23 while in Laval), Montreal now has nine defencemen on their roster.  That's something you don't see every day...

Unless there is another move coming in the next 48 hours, this transaction is like putting a bandage on the iceberg sized hole in the Titanic.

Way to go Bergy! 😞

Yeah I don't see why the move is bad.  They clearly saw something in Olofsson to trade for him last year.  Unfortunately he got hurt. 

Now that he's healthy and has worked the rust off in Laval (and we have an obvious need at the position) why wouldn't you give him a try?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

They clearly saw something in Olofsson to trade for him last year.  Unfortunately he got hurt.

He has a history of shoulder injuries, but he has been working on his playing style in Laval to reduce the number of hits he takes. He's been successful in that, at least to the extent that he's taking far fewer hits, his shoulders are healthy and his level of play has not suffered.

Don't expect him to be blasting goals from the blueline, but he should be more reliable on the defensive aspects. And that's what we need right now.

Very sensible move and who knows, Olofsson might ride a burst of rookie enthusiasm for a few games before he reverts to the norm. It's hard to get much worse than the Junior-B tripe our D unit has been serving up.

17 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Cheap right-handed defensemen are almost always in demand. A team ravaged with defense injuries might claim him as a stopgap.

Folin must have cleared waivers as he’s playing for the Rocket tonight.

I haven't seen this posted yet, but given that Olofsson made Reilly expendable in MIN, this recall is a clear message to Reilly; specially if Olofsson plays back to back and Kulak is in the lineup and Reilly isn't

I really hope that we have seen the last of Rielly. I had some hope when he was acquired because he was still young, but I haven’t seen much development from him. It’s time to cut the cord. 

It is interesting to see that Reilly  has improved  since Olofsson made him redundant in MIN. He is still with the team and Olofsson has been sent back down.

Both can be considered throw in candidates at the trade deadline. Now on to the next call up

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It is interesting to see that Reilly  has improved  since Olofsson made him redundant in MIN. He is still with the team and Olofsson has been sent back down.

Both can be considered throw in candidates at the trade deadline. Now on to the next call up

Is Reilly improved... or have multiple shoulder injuries made Olofsson worse?

Cause the Olofsson in Minnesota was a #6/7 NHL defenceman.

The guy we have seen in the last 3 games.... (and yes its only 3 games).... was not close to NHL calibre.  The Habs were essentially shorthanded when he was on the ice.  I looked at the advanced stats the other day, and they are some of the worst I've ever seen.   Just horrendous. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Is Reilly improved... or have multiple shoulder injuries made Olofsson worse?

Cause the Olofsson in Minnesota was a #6/7 NHL defenceman.

The guy we have seen in the last 3 games.... (and yes its only 3 games).... was not close to NHL calibre.  The Habs were essentially shorthanded when he was on the ice.  I looked at the advanced stats the other day, and they are some of the worst I've ever seen.   Just horrendous. 

I'll check again. This year's tats for Reilly are probably bad but he did sufficiently well the last 2 years to stick around as a 7th D.

If I remember correctly, Reilly's advances stats are over 50% in possession/Fenwick, but bad giveaways and scoring chances from dangerous areas (heath maps). His block shots and hits were not too bad. But I have to check.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I'll check again. This year's tats for Reilly are probably bad but he did sufficiently well the last 2 years to stick around as a 7th D.

Got to say, not a fan at all.