New CBA Locker Rooms

JLP

Always wondered about this -- you got someone like Steve Begin getting his teeth bashed out for a few hundred thou, then a prima donna like Brisebois who never mixed it up earns damn near ten times the cash. They hit the showers, does Begin feel cheated?

There are less extreme examples where one player is clearly a little better than another but makes a little less, and I guess players on any team just learn to deal with this of course, and hope their agent will get them a better contract next time round.

BUT, with the new CBA, we work on a zero-sum model -- that is, there is just one $39mil pie and all players have to share it. Consider the Forsbergs and Iginlias out there, then look at the rest of the guys in the locker room, who are aware that maybe their agent can't get them any more money no matter what, because one fellow has taken 20% of the pie, leaving all the other players to share what's left.

Will this new CBA foster greater team spirit through parity or might it create a locker room mood where player A getting a big contract makes Players B-Z feel like he's taking money out their pockets?

This relates to Theo's negotiation, if he wrests 5,5 mil out of Gainey, that also affects everyone else in the locker room.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

There are less extreme examples where one player is clearly a little better than another but makes a little less, and I guess players on any team just learn to deal with this of course, and hope their agent will get them a better contract next time round.

Thoughts?

Basically, you have a good idea here. The only thing I can suggest is that your definition of 'one player clearly' being 'a little better than another' is not really tenable.

There are different kinds of better, different kinds of contributions to a team. It is also understood that some of those contributions are considered more valuable than others. A top line goalie's contributions are 'worth' more than a defensive agitator. The agitator knows that

that is the case also and usually runs with that.

As for the Brisebois situation, I'm sure that it was common knowledge that he had an inflated contract amount (like Rivet, for that matter) but that was simply a consequence of the 'previous' system. His wasn't the only one and certainly not the worst (Yashin's?).

The same scenario will still take place in the 'new' economics but I expect that, because of the hard cap, the 'unfair' differentials will be a much rarer occurence.

So, with regards to Théodore's contract being much higher than the others, as above, it's a given that such things will take place.

As a rule, I expect that there won't be any locker room problems of consequence based on this. If anything arises, I'm confident that, especially with the Canadiens (Julien & Gainey in charge), these issues will be dealt with in a constructive manner. Gainey wouldn't have it any other way for the better of his team nor would Julien. Gainey stepped in and dealt with the Brisebois/boobirds situation and Julien stepped in and dealt with the rebellious Ribeiro situation.

We have a good team with a good leadership/support system.

[Edited on 2005/8/7 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by shortcat1

[As a rule, I expect that there won't be any locker room problems of consequence based on this. If anything arises, I'm confident that, especially with the Canadiens (Julien & Gainey in charge), these issues will be dealt with in a constructive manner. Gainey wouldn't have it any other way for the better of his team now would Julien. Gainey stepped in and dealt with the Brisebois/boobirds situation and Julien stepped in and dealt with the rebellious Ribeiro situation.

We have a good team with a good leadership/support system.

I hope you're right!

I think the new zero-sum dynamic makes it more important than ever for us to get players who want to play for the Habs for reasons other than money, and not just pick up mercenaries.

Dandenault may be a good example of this.

Very good point.

The sense of loyalty to a team/group of people factor is quite valuable. Other than that, the only motivation is bucks and I believe that this is not often sufficient to carry someone to the level at which they can contribute.

Good questions, good points...

CBA or not, I presume the super talented player as to be paid enought so that they dont start to leave the NHL for more lucrative options elsewhere in the futur (Russia, Europe), as this would decrease NHL overall revenus and player overall pay-roll.

For the others, individual remuneration should take care of itself with arbitration now avallaible to the team as well as the player.

Anyway at 450.000 minimum wage nobody is getting ript-off as a starter.

The new CBA is financially reasonnable to all involve, not perfect but, mature peoples know that nothing will ever be.

Because of that, I think it will make it easier for players to concentrate on being a good team and doing what it take (individually) to make it happen.

Players with good attitude (regardless of price bracket) will, as usually, make good thing happen for the group.

This is an age old question that applies to every job, not just sports where salaries tend to be public domain. I know at my job, I do the same thing as the 20 other people, and we all make different amounts of money. I know $400k to $3.5M is a huge difference, but I think players, while there will be some resentment, realize that a fact of life is in any career field, people will not make the same amount of money.