MCKAY/CZERK BOUGHT-OUT! (Kilger re-signed)

puck7x

Holy shit yes!!!! (Well except for the Kilger thing. lol)

Gainey re-signed Kilger for 2 years and bought out the contracts of McKay and Czerk!!!

Kilger will get 800k per year , down from the near 1.2 he would of gotten , a savings of 400K :)

OH HAPPY DAY!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=46010

http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/nouvelles?site=r...on&sport=#83286

[Edited on 2003-7-1 by puck7x]

Gainey is a miracle worker... His first day on the job and he gets rid of 2 of our bigest problems.

Now the habs have some room to move with the roster....

WOOOOOOOOOO

BTW : Buying out McKay came as a huge surprise to me since he said he wanted to return , the habs basically said he would be back... he wasnt mentioned in the buy-out rumours , and he is a Gillett favourite... Not that I am complaining though :)

[Edited on 2003-7-1 by puck7x]

Cool! Well, he doesn't wait long!

I wonder what he will do now. I don't expect any big signing. Maybe Potvin.....

... if he trades Theo ;)

Well, it looks like Kilger was the first NHL UFA to be signed this summer!

[Edited on 2003-7-1 by sakiqc]

Sportsnet has learned that Kilger will be paid $800,000 in each of the two years of his deal.

Not bad, I guess. Gainey must like him, smart move though, finally using the CBA to their advantage.

Czerk's buyout was expected, McKay is a very nice surprise.

I can even say Kilger (whom I really don't like) at 800k is a good move.

I'm guessing that if other people were to be bought out they would have done now too... so that means Dackell, Juneau, Perreault, Dykhuis, Traverse will still be with us.

No mention of Dwyer either, I'll assume he's gone.

So our top 3 line players:

C: Koivu, Ribeiro, Perreault, Juneau.

RW: Audette, Ward, Sundstrom

LW: Zednik, Bulis, Hossa

Dackell would be a depth guy playing 4th or scratched.

One of the centres would suffer the same fate depending on performance.

Then Kilger on 4th line.

That leaves room for a Gratton, Ryder... I'm not counting on any of out top prospects to make the jump right away.

Defense is still a question mark:

- Brisebois to stay or go?

- Souray's wrist

- Dykhuis/Traverse to stay? (please say it ain't so)

This team needed so much work, I gotta learn to just enjoy these moments more... not think too much about what's left to do. :)

Originally posted by Habs77

I'm guessing that if other people were to be bought out they would have done now too... so that means Dackell, Juneau, Perreault, Dykhuis, Traverse will still be with us.

But it doesnt mean that the habs wont make any more player movement , Gainey might have some trades planned. Think about it... Why buyout Dackell when he can fetch a late late pick? might as well get something for him , he's a CHEAP decent depth player , someone might want him...

His days could still be numbered... hopefully...

Traverse on the other hand... He has a bigger contract , so I'm not sure what team would want to trade for him.... geez... I wish we had bought him out today.

Lineup

--------

Zednik - Koivu - Audette

Bulis - Perreault - Ward

Hossa - Juneau - Sundstrom

Ribeiro? - Kilger - Dackell?

Possibly 2 open forward spots... For either callups or UFA's signings...

One of Juneau/Perreault HAS to be gone. The Habs qualified Ribs, so they were content to hang on to him, and they can't be planning on using him as a 4th liner. I am, well "happy" is a strong word here, mildly un-upset that Kilger was resigned. Twas a good savings move by the Habs.

But I am absolutely thrilled that Czerk and McKay were bought out.

Originally posted by huzer

One of Juneau/Perreault HAS to be gone. The Habs qualified Ribs, so they were content to hang on to him, and they can't be planning on using him as a 4th liner. I am, well "happy" is a strong word here, mildly un-upset that Kilger was resigned. Twas a good savings move by the Habs.  

I disagree that one of Juneau/Perreault has to be gone , I think its more like one of Perreault/Ribeiro , mostly because those 2 are very similar ... They are both no more then 2nd line centres , they both cannot have success at any other position other then 2nd line centre , they are both small , they are both garbage defensively , etc ...

Juneau on the other hand is the 3rd line centre and is alright defensively .... (Though I'd still like him to be moved)

Think about it... If the habs traded Juneau and kept Ribeiro/Perreault we would still have a big problem , one of Ribeiro/Perreault would have to centre the 3rd line , you wouldnt want that would you?

And just because Ribeiro was qualified does not mean he will not be moved , Ribeiro doesnt cost much... So why let him go the UFA route when we can maybe get something for him in a deal?

One of Juneau/Perreault HAS to be gone.  

I had the same thought few minutes ago, when watching the possible lines.

This is not very strong .. we know what we can expect from them, and it's impossible to have a positive surprise from them..

Juneau is great againts offensive lines.. so it was his excuse of lacking creativity on the offensive zone. He looked injured all season long and he plays like he has some back problem. It's sad, because he's a brillant player, really intelligent. I don't think he still has the great shape. Looks more like he try to hold his job. But maybe Gainey will like him.. or not. Juneau isn't a Lehtinen! Jere scored more than 30 goals last year, while playing the opposite top lines. What i'm sure, is that he'll the best man to judge his playing style and get rid of him if necessary (or keep him)

As for Yanic.. he has a serious constency problem. He need strong winger, because once he won the faceoff, we cannot rely on him.

Ribeiro is a soft intelligent player, but he and need cannot play with anyone the coach put him with. He need specials teammates, who will think the same way as him and fellow his anticipation. I didn't saw a Habs player that could read Mike's anticipation. The only player in the NHL i saw match his anticipation was Comrie at the young all star game. Get him, or trade mike.

Gainey said in an interview following the announcement about Czerk/McKay... he said this was about clearing up some roster spots for the likes of Ward & Ryder, so they could come into camp with a spot open for them to win.

Gainey also mentionned Hainsey again... his attitude towards Ron is the complete contrary than AS's approach. AS wanted to send him down for a while, teach him a lesson... while Gainey keeps repeating Hainsey is part of their plans and that he expects good things from him.

Too bad Bob didn't "open up" any roster spots for Hainsey too by buying out Dykhuis and/or Traverse.

Then again the Souray situation might have something to do with that.

No mention of Brisebois either... I would really have liked to know what Gainey's intentions are regarding our favorite D-man quaterback.

Do you think that a team might want Dykhuis? THat might be the reson he hasn't been bought out.

Or else Gainey wants to give him a second chance.

I hope not.

Actually, the only thing bad about losing McKay and Czerkawski is that now we don't have a good sniper and a good hitter on NHL 2003.

And since Ward isn't good enough to go 1st line yet, and the same with Hossa and Ribeiro...

Oh well, Kilger's still here. Now time to sign Dwyer.

Wow, what a random post. :lol:

Edit: Added text

[Edited on 2003/7/3 by theAussiePosse]

Yet another read about yesterday's happenings:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/articles/2...701/481100.html

Nice to see that after repeatedly mentioning Hainsey in a few different press conferences, that Gainey now mentions Ryder as well:

<i>"We have Jason Ward, and we have Mike Ryder, both right wingers who played on the team in Hamilton last year, who could use some space," said Gainey.

"We decided to open up spots to let them come in and really compete for places on our team."

</i>

Also, in the Gazette today, they mention that Dwyer was indeed extended a qualifying offer. Granted Hickey <cough> has been wrong in the past...

http://www.canada.com/montreal/sports/stor...7A-8615E3D8163C

So if we try to take a hint from Gainey we could envision this type of lineup:

Bulis-Koivu-Audette

Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik

Sundstrom-Juneau-Ward

Dwyer-Kilger-Ryder

- Perreault/Ribeiro are interchangeable really... provides depth at center but at the same time someone is not going to be happy with his ice-time.

I'd give Ribs the job to start the year, telling him it's his to lose... then let things play themselves out.

- As for Dackell, again nice depth guy but I truly can't see him cracking the lineup unless there are injuries.

So in terms of forwards right now we have 12 starters and 2 guys watching from the press box.

If we sign a UFA forward, someone else will have to go.

Also, in the Gazette today, they mention that Dwyer was indeed extended a qualifying offer. Granted Hickey <cough> has been wrong in the past...

http://www.canada.com/montreal/sports/stor...7A-8615E3D8163C

Thats some good news (if Hickey is right) , I was afraid that we had let Dwyer go. I like Dwyer , he is young , cheap , big , fights , defends his teammates.... A good charachter guy ...

Though I am pissed that their has been no news of Dwyer's re-signing (until today) , cause it messes up the prospective lineups I've been making (without him in it)