Is our plan flawed?

REV-G

Don, I agree with everything that you said about Price and I don't want to trade him because of performance. I brought that up as a consideration because I'm wondering what he will look like in 3 years. Will Price be an elite goalie when we are ready to compete?

My argument for trading him is that he won't be an elite franchise goalie by the time the rest of the team is ready so lets get some assets for him. Primeau can tandem with our trading partner's goalie until he is ready for full time #1 status.

I also agree with what you said about Tatar which is exactly why I want to trade him now. His value is high but what will his value and performance be in three years from now? We should be able to get a very strong return for him (I'm thinking perhaps even better than the Pacioretty trade).

If we are going to run the course and continue to draft and develop players then why not add to our draft pick and prospect pool?

I think would be very limited teams who could add Price. So kinda think is a non-starter unless Habs eat part of salary and you are willing to have mediocre to poor goaltending in short term.

But, if team keeps on losing, the pressure will mount on everyone and sounds like Price is ready to snap. In the end, every player is tradable and the ones no one dares propose will bring back biggest return, like a Gallagher (maybe can hope Caufield can fill his role, not same type player but).

I am not too disappointed in the current underperformance of CH because my expectations were low this season.

I cheered when they were overachieving and I will be quieter now that they are crumbling under injuries and rookie mulistakes.

The path for me this year is to hang onto Price and Weber. Trade Petry and shop Domi just in case a desperate team with aging centres gives up a 1st round pick (PHI? MIN?)

Other than that, I would play the kids and get the most out of Kovalchuk and cie.

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not too disappointed in the current underperformance of CH because my expectations were low this season.

I cheered when they were overachieving and I will be quieter now that they are crumbling under injuries and rookie mulistakes.

The path for me this year is to hang onto Price and Weber. Trade Petry and shop Domi just in case a desperate team with aging centres gives up a 1st round pick (PHI? MIN?)

Other than that, I would play the kids and get the most out of Kovalchuk and cie.

I honestly see no reason to trade Domi, he is still so young and hasn’t reached his prime yet and has shown that he is capable of producing at a high level. Domi is apart of the new core going forward.

13 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I honestly see no reason to trade Domi, he is still so young and hasn’t reached his prime yet and has shown that he is capable of producing at a high level. Domi is apart of the new core going forward.

He is a high value asset that may bring in a 1st round pick from a desperate team.

we have a potential replacement in Suzuki and sufficient prospect depth at centre 

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He is a high value asset that may bring in a 1st round pick from a desperate team.

we have a potential replacement in Suzuki and sufficient prospect depth at centre 

Sure his value is high but he’s 24 years old and Montreal’s best offensive forward.

Why would we trade that away for a prospect that might not even be as good as him?

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I disagree. Keep Domi until you *know* that Suzuki and KoKo can be top-6 C. (I doubt that Poehling will ever be that, as this is not really his profile).

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I disagree. Keep Domi until you *know* that Suzuki and KoKo can be top-6 C. (I doubt that Poehling will ever be that, as this is not really his profile).

Even then why are we trading away our most talented forwards that have not even entered there primes yet? Domi can be moved to the wing in the event those guys are ready for C.

And honestly the way Suzuki is struggling defensively and KK in general I don’t think that’s even a good argument.

2 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Even then why are we trading away our most talented forwards that have not even entered there primes yet? Domi can be moved to the wing in the event those guys are ready for C.

And honestly the way Suzuki is struggling defensively and KK in general I don’t think that’s even a good argument.

Agree 100%. Being a "seller" doesn't mean shipping out highly productive 24-year olds.

The centers for next could be: Which is good

Domi

Suzuki

Danault

KK (not sure if he was just a bad pick, poor line mates or what but he has been garbage this year, injuries for sure didnt help, it would be nice if he learned to stay on his feet

You also have Poehling who was moved to wing 

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree 100%. Being a "seller" doesn't mean shipping out highly productive 24-year olds.

Domi 24

Lehkonen 24

Drouin 24

Danault 26

Armia 26

These guys are good and will not be over the hill in, say, three years.

21 minutes ago, Chris said:

The centers for next could be: Which is good

Domi

Suzuki

Danault

KK (not sure if he was just a bad pick, poor line mates or what but he has been garbage this year, injuries for sure didnt help, it would be nice if he learned to stay on his feet

You also have Poehling who was moved to wing 

I think the centers could be:

Danault(swap to 3C later)

Suzuki

Kotkaniemi (swap to 1C later)

Poehling

with this year to suffer growing pains. 
Domi is not as effective on the wing as it was pointed out to me

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I know you are always cautious in trusting prospects to carry the team before some milage; but you also have written that you want a rebuild.

Let’s go for a deeper reset or a milder rebuild by sacrificing Petey and Domi and playing the prospects in the NHL 

48 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Sure his value is high but he’s 24 years old and Montreal’s best offensive forward.

Why would we trade that away for a prospect that might not even be as good as him?

Because We have decent 24 year olds in Drouin 2020 and Lehkonen 2020 to play with Suzuki and make Domi a good trading chip for a 1st round pick in the 2020 lottery 

Because We have decent 24 year olds in Drouin 2020 and Lehkonen 2020 to play with Suzuki and make Domi a good trading chip for a 1st round pick in the 2020 lottery 

He is by far our best forward, again it makes no sense to trade him. People keep harping on the fact that this team needs more raw talent. We should be keeping and holding on to our young talented players that are in the age group of the new core.

The Tatar’s and Petry’s should be the ones targeted for another 1st round pick in 2020.

• Upvote 1

No team is going to trade an unprotected lottery pick for Domi. Even a lottery pick isn't a guarantee...Yakupov, Galchenyuk...

25 minutes ago, Chris said:

Droiun? 

He has had a good 12 game stretch, other than that he has been average 

Drouin's value is at an all-time low. He looked quite good to start the season before he got hurt. He's young. I think we're stuck with him, for better and worse, and frankly we could do worse. I think the odds are about 75% that he remain "soft skill" who evaporates at inconvenient times and will not become more than a secondary piece, but he does bring skill and decent production. If he could add second effort and some grit to his game, he'd become a first-line FW.

38 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yep, Byron and Thompson should be the other habs moved

If they can get some for either new guy that's fine 

Who would trade for Byron at this point? $3.4M cap hit for 3 years beyond this season, missed a 1/4 of last year and looking to be about the same this year. I'd say we're stuck with him unless Seattle takes him in 2021.

Well I haven't been posting much wanted to see how the season played out. But remember the season production earlier....

Looks like I hit it bang on  because this is what I said.

and everyone ripped me for saying this. 

I think Florida has made some nice improvements and will finish higher than us. We have the same team as last year.

So we finish 6th in the division.

13 or 14 in the conference.

That could all change if Bergevin gets off his ass and trades for a puck moving defensemen.